Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney24 View Post
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only showing you what Disney has printed in their cruise documents and in their pre-arrival guide. It surprises me as well.
Oh I don't mean to do that at all! It is just strange that it says that. I think if I were traveling with BCs for identification, I would err on the side of caution though and bring the certified copy. Just in case, ya know?

But then I'm pretty cautious these days. My family has experienced more than one medical emergency while on vacation. Most recently, my bil had a heart attack while on a cruise in January. It's passports for us!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
I don't like to argue with clerks and government officials. I like to show them what they want, and what they want is a passport, and if they can't have that they want a fancy birth certificate with a raised seal, and if they can't have that they'll take my crappy birth certificate. What they won't take is something unofficial issued by the hospital.

Nancy
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am on the 7-Night Western next week and on the cruise documents it says exactly this, "Guests under the age of 16 may present one of the following: Original OR copy of their state issued birth certificate"

I was actually surprised to see this on my documents as I always thought they had to be original or certified copies. We travel with passports, but I thought that was interesting.
I had seen that wording on the website, and someone here had told me that my actual cruise documents would say different. They didn't. This is for our Feb 7 cruise this year.

I've definitely noticed the "With the exception of the state issued birth certificate, photocopies of the above documents are not acceptable." wording.

Then again, with the wording they use for if swim masks are allowed in their pools, where they use the word goggles but mean masks, who knows if they really mean that a photocopy of the state issued BC would be acceptable, or if someone got confused with what is nearly a double negative!

It's all moot for me, we use passports, but I sure hope they accept photocopies of state issued BCs since that is what they STATE (online and in docs) they will accept.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
MaryLou1962
LoveMyBoys

In the end what matters is what the Immigration officer wants to see. And the State Departments wants to see the real McCoy.

Eventually disembarking with minimal hassle becomes as important as successfully embarking.
MaryLou1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #20
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrbell View Post
Make sure you have a certified copy of birth certificate (raised seal) and if your name is different on your birth certificate and drivers license you will also need certified copy if marriage license
Not all counties/states use the "raised seal " some use holograms others use water marks or other means of showing " a certified certificate of birth"

TXDCLfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #21
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

We always do passports but my 20 year olds expired last year. Was contemplating just doing her BC. But, wasn't comfortable especially in light of all those people having to fly back from st marten last week. She has a passport apt next week!
lovetotraveltx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
reimero
DIS Veteran

To be honest, I wouldn't go entirely by what DCL says, since they actually have no say in the matter. The definitive answer is here:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...%20passport%3F

At the end of the day, when it comes to questions of passports and such, the government is the authoritative source. Cruise lines can give some guidance, but the final word is the government's.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #23
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
Not all counties/states use the "raised seal " some use holograms others use water marks or other means of showing " a certified certificate of birth"
The "gold standard" for BCs is that it was issued by the appropriate Vital Records department of the relevant state. For newborns, if Vital Records hasn't yet issued one, a hospital certificate will suffice. So basically, it has to have whatever authorization or certification Vital Records uses.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #24
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't go entirely by what DCL says, since they actually have no say in the matter. The definitive answer is here:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...%20passport%3F

At the end of the day, when it comes to questions of passports and such, the government is the authoritative source. Cruise lines can give some guidance, but the final word is the government's.
This is so true. And an internet message board is really not the "source" to rely on in these instances.

Think about it do you really want to be standing in front of the immigration officer going "But the DIS told me a copy was fine"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
luvdisney24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
This is so true. And an internet message board is really not the "source" to rely on in these instances.

Think about it do you really want to be standing in front of the immigration officer going "But the DIS told me a copy was fine"
How about standing there with your cruise documents from DCL showing that only a photocopy is required? If DCL has this on their documents, I would imagine some people are showing up with photocopies????
luvdisney24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehavesix View Post
It surprises me that a simple photocopy of a BC is acceptable. Even at school, we require parents registering a child in pre-k or k to present a certified copy with the raised seal. We then make a photocopy after we verify that it is indeed a certified BC and return the original to the parent. Why? Because photocopies can be falsified very easily.
I have a copy of my birth certificate, but it has the raised seal. Our county does not turn over the original, so the only option is for them to copy and then apply the raised seal to certify it.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #27
kngtrtn
Earning My Ears

Just because I can!

I thought I would throw another monkey wrench into the never ending debate about passports!

For certain shore excursions on the Eastern Caribbean cruise you must have a passport!

Consider this from the Disney Cruise Lines site!

Tortola Dolphin Encounter
(this would be true of any excursion that visitis the British side of the island)

•Guests who are U.S. Citizens and ages 16 and up are required to carry a valid passport in order to participate on this tour. Children ages 15 and under who are U.S. Citizens may travel on their valid passport or an original birth certificate (with raised seal). All non-U.S. Citizens are required to carry a valid passport meeting the necessary visa requirements to enter the British Virgin Islands and re-enter the United States. Anyone under the age of 18 traveling with an adult who is not the parent (aunt, uncle, grandparent, friend, etc.) must have a notarized letter of permission to join the tour (not just a note) with them on tour. The tour involves international travel and this is required to leave the country.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How about standing there with your cruise documents from DCL showing that only a photocopy is required? If DCL has this on their documents, I would imagine some people are showing up with photocopies????
Well, you could try this but why? Why do you want to argue with the USCIS officer at 8 am on the last day of your cruise? At that point you aren't talking to DCL people, but to federal agents.

Are you going to be let back into the US (if DCL has let you go on the cruise)? Yes. Is it going to be a hassle? Yes. The people working in the booths in customs are not high level. They are paid to review paperwork and decide if it is sufficient for you to enter or re-enter the USA. Some of their decisions are easy, like if you have a passport they know it's good. If you have a Florida birth certificate issued from the state they've probably seen them 1000 times (probably have one themselves or for their children). Other states may be easy for them to recognize too. When you get down to Baker County Oregon or Portage County WI, those might make the officer pause, have to get a supervisor, etc.

I don't agree that a hospital issued BC is enough. A hospital is not a government agency and cannot issue government documents.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
luvdisney24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Well, you could try this but why? Why do you want to argue with the USCIS officer at 8 am on the last day of your cruise? At that point you aren't talking to DCL people, but to federal agents.

Are you going to be let back into the US (if DCL has let you go on the cruise)? Yes. Is it going to be a hassle? Yes. The people working in the booths in customs are not high level. They are paid to review paperwork and decide if it is sufficient for you to enter or re-enter the USA. Some of their decisions are easy, like if you have a passport they know it's good. If you have a Florida birth certificate issued from the state they've probably seen them 1000 times (probably have one themselves or for their children). Other states may be easy for them to recognize too. When you get down to Baker County Oregon or Portage County WI, those might make the officer pause, have to get a supervisor, etc.

I don't agree that a hospital issued BC is enough. A hospital is not a government agency and cannot issue government documents.

Nancy
I don't have to worry about any of it because I carry a valid passport. BUT what I am saying, if DCL is telling you that you can have a photocopy, they have to bare some responsibility for that statement. If people are showing up with photocopies, and it's not allow, you can bet DCL would be hearing about it and they would have changed their information by now to say the correct thing.
luvdisney24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #30
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't have to worry about any of it because I carry a valid passport. BUT what I am saying, if DCL is telling you that you can have a photocopy, they have to bare some responsibility for that statement. If people are showing up with photocopies, and it's not allow, you can bet DCL would be hearing about it and they would have changed their information by now to say the correct thing.
And if they Immigration officer upon return decides to "play by the rules" you can stand there and SCREAM about what DCL told you. He will shrug, they don't hire those folks to be loving and caring

I see this same kind of RANT when someone flies someplace without a visa and the receiving country won't let them in, it becomes the "airline's fault"

There's always someone to blame. But will that really help besides giving you someone to rant and rave about? You will still be stuck dealing with immigration.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: