Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
ntyree
Earning My Ears

Passports????

Just want to make sure i have everything ready for our first cruise? The way i'm reading it all we have to have is a copy of our birth certificate and a photo id. We don't have to have a passport.... Right?
ntyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntyree View Post
Just want to make sure i have everything ready for our first cruise? The way i'm reading it all we have to have is a copy of our birth certificate and a photo id. We don't have to have a passport.... Right?
For US citizens on a closed loop cruise the minimum requirement is a certified birth certificate, and (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Not just a copy, but a certified copy. This is different than a photocopy, it is issued from a government agency.

In order to answer your question about whether or not you need a passport, we have to know where you are cruising to and in which country you hold citizenship.

- Dreams

P.S. Welcome to the DISBoards!

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Make sure you have a certified copy of birth certificate (raised seal) and if your name is different on your birth certificate and drivers license you will also need certified copy if marriage license
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

We are doing the Wonder to Cozumel and Castaway Cay. We are US citizens. Does anyone know if we need passports for that?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
We are doing the Wonder to Cozumel and Castaway Cay. We are US citizens. Does anyone know if we need passports for that?
ANY closed loop cruise (departing and returning from same US port), the minimum is certified BC and (for those 16 and over) government-issued photo ID.

You certainly can use passports if you have them.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
bahacca
Mouseketeer

They are not REQUIRED, but you may want to read some threads here about people who had close calls who didn't have them. It depends on the risks you are willing to take.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
luvdisney24
DIS Veteran

I am on the 7-Night Western next week and on the cruise documents it says exactly this, "Guests under the age of 16 may present one of the following: Original OR copy of their state issued birth certificate"

I was actually surprised to see this on my documents as I always thought they had to be original or certified copies. We travel with passports, but I thought that was interesting.

Last edited by luvdisney24; 03-19-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo
luvdisney24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
luvdisney24
DIS Veteran

This is copy and pasted from the Pre-Arrival Guide:

Required Documents for U.S. Citizens
All Guests claiming U.S. citizenship must present one of the following as proof of U.S. citizenship:

• A valid U.S. Passport
• A valid U.S. Passport Card
• A valid state-issued Enhanced Driver's License - this is a special type of license that provides proof of identity and US citizenship; not all states offer Enhanced Driver's Licenses - visit http://www.getyouhome.gov for the
most up to date list of participating states
• A valid Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
• Government-issued photo ID along with one of the following:
• Original or copy of their state issued birth certificate
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State,
• Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

• Guests under the age of 16 may present one of the following:
• Original or copy of their state issued birth certificate
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State
• Naturalization Certificate issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

With the exception of the state issued birth certificate, photocopies of the above documents are not acceptable.

United States citizens can visit the State Department's travel website at http://travel.state.gov or call the United States National Passport Information Center at (877) 4USA-PPT (487-2778) for more information.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney24 View Post
I am on the 7-Night Western next week and on the cruise documents it says exactly this, "Guests under the age of 16 may present one of the following: Original OR copy of their state issued birth certificate"

I was actually surprised to see this on my documents as I always thought they had to be original or certified copies. We travel with passports, but I thought that was interesting.
Hmmm, on our last cruise, our cruise documents said:

Guests under the age of 16 may present one of the following:
-Original or certified copy of their state issued birth certificate.
-Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State.
-Naturalization Certificate issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

I know the "certified" wording didn't used to be in the cruise documents, but was added a while ago.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
luvdisney24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Hmmm, on our last cruise, our cruise documents said:

Guests under the age of 16 may present one of the following:
-Original or certified copy of their state issued birth certificate.
-Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State.
-Naturalization Certificate issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

I know the "certified" wording didn't used to be in the cruise documents, but was added a while ago.
Well these are documents for my March 30, 7-Night Western so I can only speak to what is listed in them.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
ntyree
Earning My Ears

thanks for the help everyone we are sailing to Nassau and cc from port Canaveral and back on October the 6th. can't wait!!!!!!
ntyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdisney24 View Post
Well these are documents for my March 30, 7-Night Western so I can only speak to what is listed in them.
The only difference in what you've posted is 'an original or copy of the birth certificate.'

One cannot legally copy a C of C or a naturalization certificate for proof a citizenship (you can copy to preserve the information, like you can make a copy of your passport just to have it, but not to present it as proof of citizenship).

I'd not chance showing up with a copy of a birth certificate you printed on your home copier. If you have the original to make a copy, just bring the original. A lot of people have what they think is an original birth certificate and it is just a certificate from a hospital or other non-official source. Only the county or state can issue the official document. My kids have a lovely one that has a green border and is on safety paper. Mine is a (terrible) photocopy of a microfish page, on legal paper but with all the info on one side of the page and info on other children born that day. BUT it has the seal of the State Recorder on it so it's an original.

I don't like to argue with clerks and government officials. I like to show them what they want, and what they want is a passport, and if they can't have that they want a fancy birth certificate with a raised seal, and if they can't have that they'll take my crappy birth certificate. What they won't take is something unofficial issued by the hospital.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
wehavesix
Yes, I really have 6 kids
Yes, I'm crazy but in a good way
One minute I was walking along and the next I was falling

It surprises me that a simple photocopy of a BC is acceptable. Even at school, we require parents registering a child in pre-k or k to present a certified copy with the raised seal. We then make a photocopy after we verify that it is indeed a certified BC and return the original to the parent. Why? Because photocopies can be falsified very easily.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
luvdisney24
DIS Veteran

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm only showing you what Disney has printed in their cruise documents and in their pre-arrival guide. It surprises me as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: