Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Mid day breaks for little ones question

I have been to WDW numerous times, mostly solo (my wife does not share my enthusiasm ), though meeting up there with lots of folks from these here boards. I never do emh, almost always go to the low crowd park/s for the day/night, unless some circumstance has me do a different park...tour, meeting someone on their schedule, etc.

The second week of April, after the Easter and spring break folks having finally mostly left, I will be doing 7 days there, 4/7-13, with my daughter and her two children (the two to the left in my signature). They are ages 6 (birthday while we are there) and 3 1/2. I rarely, almost never, do a real midday break when there solo. I do know the kids, and probably my daughter and I also, will need midday breaks.

I am making plans to generally do a 4 hour break, leaving the park, and returning to the same park after break time. I have an AP, they will have hoppers.

Any suggestions regarding my plan, or other ideas relating to midday breaks?

Thanks much.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

How nice to go with the grandkids!
We never do take breaks. Been taking DD since we brought her home from China. I think she was 14 months old the first time. Back then she just napped in the stroller. But she is high energy and I know most kids do need a break.
Are you staying onsite? maybe you don't really need four hours? Or don't need a break every day? Maybe a break for the days when you want to stay for fireworks and then no break on days when you figure you'll just leave the parks for the day around four and have dinner at a resort?
The weather should still be rather pleasant for your trip....
Is DD a Disney veteran? If so, she may know best how her kids will handle it....
We go sometimes with DD's BFF, she's 9. You'd think that she needs a break when she gets really cranky, but we've discovered that if we just stop and get some food in her when she gets like that, she's good to go for the rest of the day!
Whatever you wind up doing, I'm sure it'll be the most special trip you've had so far!

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
PictureJumpr
At Least 'til it Rains

We usually do them after lunch.

It was always important to make sure the kids understood that yes, we were leaving and yes, we would be back later.

Once they got through the first day of it and realized we would in fact be going back to the parks later that night, they actually didn't mind leaving - we leave after lunch, so out of the park for the hottest part of the day. We take the kids back to the resort, let them jump in the pool for half an hour or so, then into the darkened room and be still (usually they are out pretty soon after that). Get up a couple of hours later, get redressed, head out in time for dinner and back to the parks we go.

On nights where hours/shows/ADRs didn't really dictate where to go, we'd even let them decide.
PictureJumpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
ktlm
DIS Veteran

They are cuties! Just FYI, be aware that "commando" may be genetic. If you, and your daughter, are the type of people that generally don't need or like mid-day breaks, the grandkids could be too. DH and I never took mid-day breaks pre-kid- we were open to close people. I was convinced on DD's first trip when she was 2, that she would have to have a mid-day break. Tried it the first day- big mistake. It was a disaster which involved dragging a screaming kicking 2 year old out of MK, only to have her stand behind the curtain in the room fo the next 2 to 3 hours refusing to nap and not wanting to look at us, and then when we finally gave up and went back to MK, she happily crawled into her stroller and took a nap. After that, it was stroller naps for her and we stayed all day. DD was 6 on our last trip- no more stroller but the kid made it at Epcot from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. without leaving the park and then turned around the very next day and made it at MK from 8:45 a.m. to after 11:00 p.m. with no leaving the park. She is a high energy kid though. The main thing is to be flexible until you see what works for the kids. A mid-day break might work great for them, or it might not. Be prepared to adjust your schedule based on what works best for them. Hopefully, the same thing will work well for both the kids.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
msmama
DIS Veteran

For us, the mid day breaks didn't work, leaving the parks early (like after dinner) worked best for us. Stinks that I don't get to see the night time stuff, but I've seen it before and I would rather have a happy kid.

So, I guess maybe play around with it? Mid day break may work best, calling it an early day may work best, or maybe the kids will surprise you and go-go-go all day!

With hoppers though, you don't always have to go back to the same park. If I do break for some reason, I usually end up at a different park afterwords (Lot of Epcot meals if I have a hopper).
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Not a World guy but rather a Disneyland guy and we always took a mid day break. For us the park just seemed full and the kids needed a break.

The 1 time we were at the World we did go back to hotel to swim once but the other days we saw hotels and other stuff that was not park related.

Lastly when my youngest were and oldest was 8 we just took the stroller and let the little ones slepp while mom and dad swapped off rides with the kids.

One more thing we found was to balance late night and early openings. If you close a park at midnight its not a great idea to be at rope drop at an early entry park.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Some great ideas, already, as always, from the folks here. Much appreciated.

A few answers on a few questions, a few other thoughts....

We are onsite, at the Swan. Natalie is not a Disney vet. She was 19 back in '99 on our first and only family trip and 24 back in '04 on a dad/daughter trip. She went where I planned, was fine with everything, we did a lot, but not commando. As for genetic, we are adoptive parents, so Natalie does not have my genes, but her kids do have hers. In any case though, neither of us are commando.

We will have a double stroller from one of the offsite companies. I will have an ECV. With my 68 years behind me, I need a knee replacement and have a bad back. And at the moment, I am trying to get well from a bout of pneumonia, diagnosed yesterday. So definitely not commando.

A few days are pretty busy. On Tuesday birthday day, the busiest, we have an 8:15 DR at CP. An 11 AM Pirates League. Looking at break then. Then a 6 PM Chef Mickey, followed a few hours later with Pirates and Pals cruise. Another busier day will be Friday, the day before we leave for home. Our second park day at MK, looking at break, doing 1900 Park Fare ate 4:30 with the dessert party that night at MK.

I am using Josh's EasyWDW for which days and Len's TP for trying to lay the day out some. I have never tried to lay a day out, but feel I need at least a semblance of what I am doing. 30 plus trips do not prepare an old grandpa for a week with the grandkids, LOL.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy
Some great ideas, already, as always, from the folks here. Much appreciated.

A few answers on a few questions, a few other thoughts....

We are onsite, at the Swan. Natalie is not a Disney vet. She was 19 back in '99 on our first and only family trip and 24 back in '04 on a dad/daughter trip. She went where I planned, was fine with everything, we did a lot, but not commando. As for genetic, we are adoptive parents, so Natalie does not have my genes, but her kids do have hers. In any case though, neither of us are commando.

We will have a double stroller from one of the offsite companies. I will have an ECV. With my 68 years behind me, I need a knee replacement and have a bad back. And at the moment, I am trying to get well from a bout of pneumonia, diagnosed yesterday. So definitely not commando.

A few days are pretty busy. On Tuesday birthday day, the busiest, we have an 8:15 DR at CP. An 11 AM Pirates League. Looking at break then. Then a 6 PM Chef Mickey, followed a few hours later with Pirates and Pals cruise. Another busier day will be Friday, the day before we leave for home. Our second park day at MK, looking at break, doing 1900 Park Fare ate 4:30 with the dessert party that night at MK.

I am using Josh's EasyWDW for which days and Len's TP for trying to lay the day out some. I have never tried to lay a day out, but feel I need at least a semblance of what I am doing. 30 plus trips do not prepare an old grandpa for a week with the grandkids, LOL.
So, being that you're at the Swan, breaks will be easier - especially from Epcot and DHS (DH and I will be there first week in May). Your Tuesday and Friday look all set. I'd say if you're going to do ETwB, pay your bill when you sit down at CP...that way, if you do happen to be done before RD, you can get a jump on the ETwB line. Being in the ECV will put you at a bit of a disadvantage from the front of the park.
I did want to ask if your knee replacement is scheduled. DH had it done last March. Very painful in the beginning, but so worth it in the end! He couldn't go a block without wincing in pain and now he can just mosey along forever! But if you're having it shortly after Disney, make sure your surgeon knows about the pneumonia! You don't need that bacteria settling into the joint!
Is the ECV a new thing for you - or have you been using it for the parks? DH used it for a few trips before his knee surgery, there are a few good offsite companies to rent from, much cheaper than Disney. Fair warning, when the kids get tired, they will want to ride with Grandpa! My DH did let DD ride with him on the way out of the park a few times....I did not approve, but it wasn't a big enough deal to give them an argument....anyway, none of the CMs said anything to him. I know it's officially not allowed, so, you can always use that as an excuse not to let them ride!
Maybe you can go through the different attractions with Natalie and see which ones she thinks the kids will most want to do? Then you'll be set....you know which ones need to be taken care of first and which have FP....I don't think you'll really need a touring plan (except ETwB).

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

We brought my 68-year-old dad with us on a trip 18 months ago and before the trip we were thinking maybe he'd head back to the room for mid-day breaks, then meet up with us again later. But he ended up being energized by the kids, and didn't want to miss anything. Maybe that will happen for you. (I hope so!)

I will say that I have always found the mid-day break to be far more exhausting than it is worth. The walk out of the park, wait for the bus, bus ride, walk to the room, work to settle the kids down, work to wake the cranky kids after they FINALLY fall asleep, etc. etc. etc. is just not for us.

My kids always did really well with stroller naps. Let them crash on their own accord, let them wake on their own accord, and everyone's happy. And every park has air-conditioned stuff you can do for 20 (Carousel of Progress), 30 (Nemo show) or 40 (Ellen's Energy Adventure) minutes, to sit down and get out of the sun. Put a couple of those back-to-back and you've effectively had the break without all the travel.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

the one thing we did not count on when taking afternoon breaks was kids falling asleep on short bus ride back to resort. then waking up to get to room and wide awake but still tired. 2 hours later no one got any rest. as soon as my guys got on bus and settled down they fell asleep. just something to be perpared for.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
wdw71
DIS Veteran

Talking

IMO the 2 year old will need a break. Our 18 month old (at the time) had a total melt down on the bus back to POR on the one day we stayed into the evening. Everyone on that bus paid the price for our misjudgment. Not to say that your grandchild will do the same but I think ours had just had enough after spending almost the entire day in a stroller in the heat. This was even with naps in the stroller. All the other days we took a 3 to 4 hour rest from the parks to swim or let them play on the POR playground and there were no break downs. I don't think we ever took a nap (my kids just didn't nap much after they turned 1) but I think the quiet time away from the crowds was what did the trick.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
ladeeesquire
Mouseketeer

we never did midday breaks. We're rope droppers big time! so instead, after a somewhat early lunch (avoiding the lunch rush), I'd put her in the stroller and lay it back a bit then walk around someplace quiet and cool and she'd fall asleep for 90 mins or so. During that time I'd shop or we'd sit and have a drink and talk... it was such a nice time to have some grown up conversation! She'd wake up and then we'd be up and going again until dinner. Most nights we'd do just a few things then call it a day by 7, back to the room, bath and sleep.

We've been able to take longer trips so we've worked in the night time activities a few at a time but for the most part we'd be done early keeping her on her normal at home sleeping schedule.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Tigger1221
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
So, being that you're at the Swan, breaks will be easier - especially from Epcot and DHS (DH and I will be there first week in May). Your Tuesday and Friday look all set. I'd say if you're going to do ETwB, pay your bill when you sit down at CP...that way, if you do happen to be done before RD, you can get a jump on the ETwB line. Being in the ECV will put you at a bit of a disadvantage from the front of the park.
I did want to ask if your knee replacement is scheduled. DH had it done last March. Very painful in the beginning, but so worth it in the end! He couldn't go a block without wincing in pain and now he can just mosey along forever! But if you're having it shortly after Disney, make sure your surgeon knows about the pneumonia! You don't need that bacteria settling into the joint!
Is the ECV a new thing for you - or have you been using it for the parks? DH used it for a few trips before his knee surgery, there are a few good offsite companies to rent from, much cheaper than Disney. Fair warning, when the kids get tired, they will want to ride with Grandpa! My DH did let DD ride with him on the way out of the park a few times....I did not approve, but it wasn't a big enough deal to give them an argument....anyway, none of the CMs said anything to him. I know it's officially not allowed, so, you can always use that as an excuse not to let them ride!
Maybe you can go through the different attractions with Natalie and see which ones she thinks the kids will most want to do? Then you'll be set....you know which ones need to be taken care of first and which have FP....I don't think you'll really need a touring plan (except ETwB).
I know you said you don't approve. This is not directed at you but others who may do this. My step-dad has Parkinsons and uses and ECV. We went to a local park with a friend's family. There 5 year old got tired and wanted to ride too. Step-dad said ok. They didn't get very far and the buggy FLIPPED!!!! They were both ok, my step-dad was pretty beat up from stopping the 5year olds head from hitting the ground. and the 5 year old was fine). His buggy fell into pieces (its his own and it comes apart for travel) Everyone was shaken and now they know not to let anyone ride. PLEASE, PLEASE be careful.

April 2013-DD's 3rd trip, Dec.2012, Oct.2012- DD's 1st trips!!!!
Tigger1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

I'm a stroller nap person too except when it's extremely hot. I never went back to Ft. Wilderness (2 stays) or the motel (1 stay) when DS was 2 1/2, 3, and 3/12. I went to the Contemporary for a break and just relaxed or to the baby care center. My son did fine with napping in the stroller and leaving in the evening before the fireworks because he always seemed to be able to communicate that he didn't want to watch the fireworks and wanted to leave to go to sleep (or was simply sleeping through the fireworks.)

I visited in August, end of Oct. / beginning of Nov., and March for about 4 days each trip. It was just DS and me so we only went on rides that he could go on and watch shows.

There wouldn't have been any point in going back to the camp site for the August or Oct/Nov trip because it was very hot and of course no air conditioning there.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1221 View Post
I know you said you don't approve. This is not directed at you but others who may do this. My step-dad has Parkinsons and uses and ECV. We went to a local park with a friend's family. There 5 year old got tired and wanted to ride too. Step-dad said ok. They didn't get very far and the buggy FLIPPED!!!! They were both ok, my step-dad was pretty beat up from stopping the 5year olds head from hitting the ground. and the 5 year old was fine). His buggy fell into pieces (its his own and it comes apart for travel) Everyone was shaken and now they know not to let anyone ride. PLEASE, PLEASE be careful.
Or you could have an incident like what happened when my inexperienced mom was riding an ECV at Sea World and her pocketbook was looped around the handlebars. The ECV took off and she couldn't stop it and almost went through the glass windows at the Hospitality Center (the place where they had the beer making demonstration and counter service restaurant.) She stopped the ECV before the window but not before smashing into some tables and chairs. My mom actually wanted to know why I didn't jump in front of the ECV to stop it! Fortunately no one was hurt.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: