Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
JenetixK
Mouseketeer

one year old in parks

We are thinking of taking a trip when our DD will be almost five and DS will be one. I can't decide if taking a large baby who won't be walking very well will be a disaster. We didn't take our daughter until she was almost 2. I am most concerned about waiting for rides. There's no way around holding the baby while you wait in lines, right? I am petite and wearing him already gets tiring after a short while. Can you wear the baby onto rides or would I have to take him in and out? Do you think we should go for it or wait until next year? Thanks!
2013 - Pop Century, 2011 - Coronado Springs, 2010 - Wilderness Lodge, 2007 - Pop Century, 2005 - Pop Century, 2003 - Pop Century, 2001 - All Star Movies, 1993 - Grand Floridian, Treehouse Villas, 1987 - Polynesian, 1984 - Polynesian, 1982 - Contemporary

Me DH DD DS
JenetixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

We took DD when she was 11 months. It was a great trip.
She wasn't walking yet, but cruising a lot.
I think it was perfect bc she was still content to be in the stroller or carrier.
I did wear her a lot. I left her in the carrier for most rides.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
souslesoleil
Wishing for Sun!

I do not believe you're allowed to wear babies onto rides, however, there are baby/child swap areas where you could always wait with the baby while your husband rides with your daughter, and then switch off.
I've heard stories of people bringing babies to Disney and having a wonderful time; the characters are very accommodating and will often sit the baby on their lap for pictures, etc. It's really up to you and your family's preferences, but overall I think you would still manage to have a great time!
souslesoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
tpoo
Earning My Ears

I wore my 8 month old on most rides last year. It does help if you have a SSC that allows for side positions like a Beco Gemini
tpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
msmama
DIS Veteran

Took my son at 10 months, but he was already walking.

I did wear him on some rides (Mexico boat ride for sure) but took him out for many others (when I wanted him facing forward).

We had my Mom with me at the time so sometimes DH and I would ride while she and baby stayed outside to play and walk (which she was happy to do) so maybe you and DH could take turns riding with your older child.

Or, if baby isn't walking well yet, maybe he'd be happy just cruising in circles around you.

As crazy as my son can be, we've never really had many issues with lines (knocking on wood right now so I don't jinx myself).
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
sbeaulieu
Mouseketeer

I'm here now and have carried my 6 month old in the Bjorn, forward facing, for most rides. When he is sleeping in the stroller or when we ride a ride with a height restriction, we have taken turns sitting out with him. It helps that my parents are with us. My other 2 have been so excited when their little brother is able to ride.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

IMO a 1 year old will be easier than a 2 year old. Our son was 2 when we first took him and I wouldn't recommend it (terrible 2s). For our trip next month our son will be 17 months old and I wear him....yes you can wear on the rides if you choose to. I did when he was 4 months old. So my opinion, the younger the better.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
caitlincutshair
Earning My Ears

We took my dd for the first time a week before her first birthday. She was not yet walking on her own , but had a great time! We didn't ride too many rides on that trip but when we did I always held her. She took her first solo steps in "The Living Seas" aquarium area after riding Nemo, which was her favorite! It's alot of work having a one year old at the park, but she had so much fun and yet was SUCH a great trip!!!!!!
caitlincutshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Tropics
Mouseketeer

We took DD at 11.5 mo and she was walking. I wore her a lot but I have a carrier (Beco Gemini) that allowed for both an inward facing position when she need to nap or needed reduced stimulation and an outward facing position for both rides and so that she could see everyone at eye level. The carrier was a must for us. I think that a lot of the comfort of a carrier comes from the quality of the carrier. I have a really bad back and I have had no problems carrying my very large 1 year old around. I wore he on almost all of the rides that we went on, both front facing when she was awake and also rear facing when she was asleep.

DD LOVED the characters so we ended up doing a lot of character meals.

Overall we had a great trip with so many wonderful memories, including her first hair cut, and it was our most relaxing trip because DD forced us to take breaks and relax.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

Took my oldest when she was one to Disneyland and it was just the DW and myself. It was the DW first trip and we had a great time.

Later we took the oldest then 8 and twin 2 year olds and again a great time.

Parent swaping is great.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
jlsmith376
Mouseketeer

We just went over spring break (peak time) when our youngest was 6 months and it was a breeze. We just carried him through the lines. We were able to utilize rope drop, morning extra magic hours and fastpasses and we hardly ever waited longer than 5 minutes, so I think with a little planning you can eliminate much of the waiting in line headaches. The only attraction that was a challenge was Enchanted Tales with Belle. You might want to wait outside with the baby for that one.

jlsmith376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by souslesoleil View Post
I do not believe you're allowed to wear babies onto rides, however, there are baby/child swap areas where you could always wait with the baby while your husband rides with your daughter, and then switch off.
I've heard stories of people bringing babies to Disney and having a wonderful time; the characters are very accommodating and will often sit the baby on their lap for pictures, etc. It's really up to you and your family's preferences, but overall I think you would still manage to have a great time!
We have worn our children on most of the family style rides, and I've seen many others wear babies too,

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

We took our 14 mo old last year and it went very well - she was walking at the time, and I kind of wished she wasn't quite there yet (i.e. less interest in hopping out of the stroller). We avoided LONG lines, and wore her in an ergo carrier while in line.

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD2

DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
BSanchez27
Earning My Ears

Great to know about wearing them on the rides! Does that only work for rides like boats and trains or also for rides like the teacups, dumbo, etc.?
BSanchez27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
IMO a 1 year old will be easier than a 2 year old. Our son was 2 when we first took him and I wouldn't recommend it (terrible 2s). For our trip next month our son will be 17 months old and I wear him....yes you can wear on the rides if you choose to. I did when he was 4 months old. So my opinion, the younger the better.
I agree! DS was much easier at 4 months and 16 months then he was at 2.5 yrs. We had a hard time keeping him in the stroller this last trip. He wanted to get out and touch everything and gift shops were a nightmare.

At 16 months he was more go with the flow and just taking it all in. And he enjoyed the characters. This past trip he wouldn't get near them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: