Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer

Boy pulled from Disney resort pool dies

Just wanted to provide a link to a sad front page CNN story about a child's death after being pulled from the Pop Century pool.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_t2
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
jennyerin
Mouseketeer

Very sad. Keeping the family in my prayers...
jennyerin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsDrew
Just wanted to provide a link to a sad front page CNN story about a child's death after being pulled from the Pop Century pool.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_t2
Terrible story...I wish his family the best
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
HeidiPA
Mouseketeer

:(

How horribly sad. I can't even imagine something like this happening on a vacation. So sorry for this family.
Hilton Head visit in May '13!

HeidiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Disneyandphilliesfan
Mouseketeer

Sad news indeed and this is the 2nd time a child has died with ties to Pop Century.Best wishes to his family going forward.
Disneyandphilliesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

Really sad story, and what makes me even more upset is that this is something that could have been avoided. I was a lifeguard for four years, I don't understand why city/county/state laws allow pools to be operated without lifeguards. It just doesn't make sense, the only reason is for $$$$$. Sad.

I wonder if Disney will now change their policies and close the pools if there is no lifeguard on duty.
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

I have a feeling that the polls will start being closed/locked up now when a life guard is not on duty.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Chabby
Mouseketeer

Too sad! My prayers for his family.
Chabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
TinaLala
Hold My Table at Ohana's I'm on My Way!

I agree with previous posters - why would you not have a life guard considering the amount of people who are in and out of those pools!!

Courage Confidence Character!
http://lalacraftworld.wordpress.com/ - my craft blog!
TinaLala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
RescueRanger
If you put $200 under your pillow at night, you will get a tag
I have no hots for Robinrs because I don't want the Mummy curse!

This is very sad news. Prayers to the family as well as those that witnessed the incident.

Me DW DD(18) DD(15) DSiL

RescueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsDad View Post
Really sad story, and what makes me even more upset is that this is something that could have been avoided. I was a lifeguard for four years, I don't understand why city/county/state laws allow pools to be operated without lifeguards. It just doesn't make sense, the only reason is for $$$$$. Sad.

I wonder if Disney will now change their policies and close the pools if there is no lifeguard on duty.
I agree, I could have sworn, once upon a time, at least at the MAIN resort pools they would close at a certain time after the lifeguards left for the day (they may have even been opened until 10 or even midnight but once the lifeguards were gone the pools closed) HOWEVER I do recall the quiet pools being opened all night with a "swim at your own risk" option. It's a horrible tragedy waiting to happen that horribly did.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsDad View Post

Most hotels do not have lifeguards at all. This was just a tragic accident. I hope the policy does not change. Think about how many thousands of people swim on property year after year without any issues--even when there are no lifeguards present. My heart breaks for this family, but there was not much that could have been done. His dad was there, and did CPR on his son as soon as he could have. It just takes a split second for an accident to happen. In all likelihood, a lifeguard being present would not have made a difference. Very sad, but a policy change, IMHO, is not needed because of this.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Most hotels do not have lifeguards at all. This was just a tragic accident. I hope the policy does not change. Think about how many thousands of people swim on property year after year without any issues--even when there are no lifeguards present. My heart breaks for this family, but there was not much that could have been done. His dad was there, and did CPR on his son as soon as he could have. It just takes a split second for an accident to happen. In all likelihood, a lifeguard being present would not have made a difference. Very sad, but a policy change, IMHO, is not needed because of this.
As I said, I don't understand the policy anywhere, at any hotel, not just Disney.
With what I have read I have no doubt a lifeguard would have helped. A life guard would tell them not to dive in shallow water and likely would have recognized the situation and gotten him out of the water quicker than the parents who said they didn't know he was missing for a while. Of course those are just assumptions based on what I have read.

As far as policies go, thousands of people rode the monorail, but Disney still changed some policies following the accident.

I am not trying to start any arguments as this is truly a tragic event. I am just think it is even worse because I think it could have been avoided.
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

The reality is that lifeguards do cost money (though not much) and Disney finds it difficult to meet its staffing requirements as is...

I think most would say that no lifeguards and multiple pools/broad access is a trade off that they would make...and incur the risk.

If we're talking strictly safety...then no it doesn't hold.
But you get the good with the bad on that - namely the immediate closure of the wave pool at typhoon and drastic reductions in hours and possible pool closures.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Not Soon Enough
Gift Shop Quality: Horrible
Portion Size: Shrinking and Suffering from Inflation

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
DWillowBay
DIS Veteran

Horrible tragedy

My heart breaks for this family. Prayers for comfort and strength through this tragedy.

Last edited by DWillowBay; 03-13-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: incorrect ticker link
DWillowBay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, pop century pool

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: