Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Using the Internet at Work.

Not sure if we have some IT folks on the boards but I'm sure we do.

I work for a mid size NYC company for about 3+ years now and spend about 30%-40% of my time at work doing non-work related things ie playing games on my phone and browsing the web.

My past 3 annual reviews have been great and I always get a performance bonus. I also always meet my deadlines and show up on-time and leave on-time.

Management has never said anything to me about my web browsing usage. I even use logmein to work on things on my home computer.

My question is should I be concerned that management will one day out of the blue come down hard on me and terminate me for this or do they have to give me fair warning first.

When I'm not working I'm planning my next WDW trip!

joedplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedplumber View Post
Not sure if we have some IT folks on the boards but I'm sure we do.

I work for a mid size NYC company for about 3+ years now and spend about 30%-40% of my time at work doing non-work related things ie playing games on my phone and browsing the web.

My past 3 annual reviews have been great and I always get a performance bonus. I also always meet my deadlines and show up on-time and leave on-time.

Management has never said anything to me about my web browsing usage. I even use logmein to work on things on my home computer.

My question is should I be concerned that management will one day out of the blue come down hard on me and terminate me for this or do they have to give me fair warning first.
This really has nothing to do with IT folks, but more with HR folks. That being said, is NY a "right to work" state? If so, they can fire you for (almost) any reason.

If you are concerned, I suggest going through the current employee handbook. If you don't have one, check with your HR department about getting one. Find out what your company's policy is regarding personal activities/internet & computer usage while on the clock. That should tell you whether they could "come down on you".

My GUESS is since you're doing your job and your boss seems to be happy with your productivity, you're fine. There's no guarantee though.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993

Last edited by sam_gordon; 03-19-2013 at 02:05 PM.
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Domo
DIS Veteran

I Facebook and DIS a lot from work but get away with it, chiefly because my boss is no better

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

1- Check with your HR or supervisor to see if you have an internet use policy. We have one for our employees and its very clear. That's your first step. If they do, then follow it.

2- As a manager, I would think that if there was a problem, they would set up a policy before coming down on everyone.

Either way, if you are uncertain, just check with someone. Like I said, we have a policy, but do give some leeway. 30-40% is a lot. I wouldn't fire anyone without alerting them to an issue first if there wasn't a policy in place. Even with a policy, I wouldn't fire after a first offense unless it was blatant and excessive.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
MissManda
DIS Veteran

I often wonder the same thing. I have to admit that I do spend way more time on the internet for personal reasons at work than I really should. Some days it bothers me and I feel guilty. Other days, not so much (especially when I look around and see how much chit chatting is going on day in and day out, the extra long lunches, people leaving early, etc).

I like you come in on time, put in my hours, get my work done (I'm a fast worker...sometimes too fast when work demand is down), always meet deadlines, and I have excellent performance evaluations. I really don't know if our IT department monitors internet use. My fear is that one day they will issue some sort of report and it will quanitify my internet time and then I wonder what would happen (of course, if they fire me, I know they would have to fire a lot of other people as well).

....of course all of this is being typed from my desk at work...on company time.

Back to work now.

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Most companies these days have a "reasonable use" policy when it comes to Internet use at work. They realize that people live on their various devices -- communicate with kids and spouses, check airline reservations, buy movie tickets, etc. Spending a reasonable amount of time each day doing non-work tasks on your work computer is expected.

But if HR or the boss were to discover that someone in my office was spending 30-40% of their time on non-work tasks, they'd seriously question if a full time position was needed. I could see the PTB in my company doing a role evaluation and either bumping the job to part time or combining it with someone else's job and upping the work load (while laying one person off).

Whether IT knows or not depends on what kind of sites you're going to. We've had guys terminated for spending too much time on eHarmony, for example, or on game sites. Didn't matter if it was personal computer or work computer -- it all ran through the company LAN / wireless connection.

The other thing to remember is that anything you type on your work computer -- whether it's personal or work-related -- lives on in the company archive and is technically the property of the company. So just be aware of what you're typing.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

That's why I have a smart phone.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
The other thing to remember is that anything you type on your work computer -- whether it's personal or work-related -- lives on in the company archive and is technically the property of the company. So just be aware of what you're typing.

While I'm not saying it's impossible, I think it would be the rare company that keeps EVERYTHING anyone types.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag

..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

I've been BOO'ED!!!

S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Prose
DIS Veteran

I agree with the PPs above - you may have been given an Internet Use Policy with your policy manual or handbook. Check with HR...that is what you must follow. Our policy, for example, is 5% of any day may be spent on personal internet use, with restrictions such as no streaming audio/video.

As to the possible firing question - are you exempt or nonexempt? That is, are you paid by the hour or on a salaried basis? NY is an at-will state, where an employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason (except in cases where you are terminated for being part of a protected class, ie discrimination). Exempt, or salaried, employees are paid for the job they do. Hourly or non exempt employees are paid for the hours they work for the company. (OK, it's not quite that cut and dried, but that's the basics). If you are salaried and you get your work done, and you are not violating an existing company use policy, then it is less likely that you will be fired for your internet use alone. If you are hourly, they may find that your hours could be cut back since you are not busy with your actual job all the time. Having said all that, a new manager could come in or a new policy set and your days of at-work browsing would be done.

Now, the one thing I would not like as a manager is that you are using logmein to connect to your home computer. That opens up your corporate network to any infection that might be on your home computer, and I am surprised that they haven't shut that down. Also, you are using company resources to do personal work, which many companies have a strict policy against (theft of resources). It depends on how strict your ethics policies are.
Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

I am an exempt employee so maybe that's why. Also we use logmein for or work computers if we need to work from home. So that might be why they allow it.

Also, we have only 1 IT person in house and outsource the rest. So I don't think they have the resources to monitor everything.

There are actually a few Netflix watchers in the office if you know why I mean.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Here is an IT question. If the company provides employees with the PW to get on the company WiFi how does the company know what personal device connected to the WiFi belongs to what employee? There must be 20+ personal devices connected in our office to the company WiFi.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedplumber View Post
Here is an IT question. If the company provides employees with the PW to get on the company WiFi how does the company know what personal device connected to the WiFi belongs to what employee? There must be 20+ personal devices connected in our office to the company WiFi.
Timing would be a start. If a certain device logs in every day at 2:30p, odds are it's someone who started around then.

Also the name of the device might give a hint to the owner.

I'm sure there are other ways, but these immediately come to mind.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Timing would be a start. If a certain device logs in every day at 2:30p, odds are it's someone who started around then.

Also the name of the device might give a hint to the owner.

I'm sure there are other ways, but these immediately come to mind.
Good thing everyone works 8:30-5:30 and my device has generic names. iPhone iPad. Lol

Old 03-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Disneefun
DIS Veteran

As my college roommate used to say, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Whatever the policy, I'd think long and hard about the fact that you are abusing 30-40% of your employer's time. They're paying you for 100% and you owe it to them to do what you're paid to do. Whether or not you can "get away with it" isn't necessarily the point, from an ethical perspective.
Disneefun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: