Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
tinksgilrs251520
I want to be at WDW

new to camping at the fort and looking for answers and advice...

Ok so the mind is made up and we are DOING THE CAMPING THING!!!! , So I will probably have a lot of questions for you all Here are some i can think of right now......

1.) I am renting a camper and was wondering can i ship a box of stuff to the campground? I have shipped before when we stay at the values?

2.) I understand that the loops are 1600,1700,1800 for campers which is the best to request?

3.) Do the comfort stations have showers and how clean are they? We have 5 girls in the party and 1 shower in the camper... You get my drift

4.) Is it really a good idea to rent a golf cart? Is it something we can live without?

I am sure there will be more to come, but thank you ion advance to all that help me out!

tinksgilrs251520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

The comfort stations even in the tent/popup loops were kept very clean during my Christmas trip. The popup/tent loops have heavier usage then the full hookup loops and the campground is packed at Christmas time.

Depending on which loop you are at and how far you are comfortable walking will determine if you want a golf cart.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
FloridaTeacher
Now I'm a Guidance Counselor

1.). Don't know about that.

2.) There are lots of loops for campers. Which one(s) you request will depend on whether you want to be close to the action or in a quieter area. We've camped at the Fort many times and can honestly say we've never had a bad site...some were trickier to get in, but great once we were there. Another consideration is that some loops are pet loops and some aren't. Pull up a campground map and take a look and you can get a feel for where things are. Keep in mind busses run through the campground quite frequently.

3.) The bathrooms have always been clean and I feel very safe in them.

4.) You don't have to have a golf cart. We've been many times without one when money was tight, but it's great fun to go riding through the loops on a cart if you can. It would be one way to get away from the 5 girls for a while...my husband would find that necessary.

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)
FloridaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
dsdeleon
Earning My Ears

The fort has bellhop and everything else so you can ship. I highly recommend the golf cart, you can't get a deal with your camper rental? Doesn't hurt to ask!
I haven't used the comfort stations so no help there.

Oh and he loops to request are so dependent on your style. Watch YouTube videos of loops to decide.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Flametamr
I never thought about doing any other job
I actually do have a back up plan

Why not try to ship your stuff to the person you are renting the camper from. They could leave it in the camper when they set it up.

We stayed at the Fort 3 years ago and the Comfort Stations were very clean and easy to use. We have a shower in the camper but it's so much easier for everyone to shower at once.

We took our bikes and rode a lot. But a golf cart is a nice luxuary if you ca afford it but not a necessity. We'll be renting one for our upcoming Hallowen trip.
2005- Off Site, Universal, Royal Pacific
2006- Port Orleans French Quarter
2007- Port Orleans Riverside With Free Dining
2008- Port Orleans French Quarter With Free Dining
2009- Boardwalk Inn With Free Dining. Upgraded from ASMO at Disney's expense following a problem.
2010- Ft Wilderness for the first time. It was great.
2013- First Halloween trip to the Fort. It was awesome

Last edited by Flametamr; 03-26-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Flametamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Fort Wilderness!

(1) according to Chat at Walt Disney

Stockard: A one-time delivery/pick up of the item is offered from any location within the Resort; however the Guest must be present to receive the package

Stockard: You will want to contact Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground to inform the front desk of the package arrival as well.

Resort Address
4510 North Fort Wilderness Trail
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830
Phone: (407) 824-2900

(2) Everyone is different in their opinion about what is best site. I usually ask for a campsite somewhere near the marina. Loops 100, 200, 300, 400, 700. (We like 700 but it has no comfort station and you have to walk across road to loop 400) We like to be in walking distance to bus stop and marina. Others want to be near the pool. Others want to be in the quite. So It just depends on what you want.

(3) Comfort Stations are the best I have ever stayed at in a campground. Usually they are clean and what I like is that they are air conditioned! That makes it alot more comfortable to use them, too. I had a problem one time with laundry facilities(2007 in loop 400 facilities)Don't know if anyone else on here has had a problem or not! But after clothes and towels were washed and dried they smelled terrible. I don't know if it was the water or the dryer was to hot and over heated everything! Never had any problem before or ever at the beach when we do laundry. Some things I never got the smell out of and throwed away some towels. So I am leary about using the facilites again especially for my clothes. I may just do the towels and bring all my dirty clothes home! LOL!

(4)We have never rented a golf cart at the fort(about 6 visits) because we do stay at the theme parks for the most part. Funny thing is we always rent one at the beach! ($350) We have taken our bikes to the fort.
Last time (2007)we had teenagers with us and we were in loop 700 and stayed at the parks from morning to night! They went to the water parks for 2 days and never went to the pool one time. We all stayed gone most of the time and just came back to the fort to eat & sleep. LOL! So it would have just been sitting there!
This yr (2013)we will have 2 small grandchildren and a golf cart would make it easier for them to go to the pool, playground etc., We are going over hot July 4th and I think with two smaller children we may find ourselves at the fort more than usual!
So NO a golf cart is not needed but may make it more convenient to get around at the fort. So this yr I have reserved one ($439 from Friday to Friday and a deposit is not required, payment upon arrival). LOL! I figure I can always cancel it if I change my mind. You could also rent it for less days and make it cheaper if you decide you want one. I've thought about that, too! They don't give you a discount for a weeks rental. I have read that others rent it cheaper from places outside Disney. I don't know Disneys rules on this or how easy that it is done. We worried about it tearing up & then what would you do if its not Disneys. So...we just decided to rent from Disney and not save any money! LOL!

Last edited by Southern Bell; 03-26-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
brizzer79
Earning My Ears

I stayed in the campground two years ago and LOVED it!! I will never stay anywhere else and that is a lot coming from an Indiana mom who gets carsick along with my little mini me. Makes for a long drive but having the luxury of our camper and all of our own stuff while experiencing Disney is well worth it! I am however very new to this Disboard thing. How do I find other threads on the campground. I would love to pick everyones brains for tips and tricks!!
brizzer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Disneypeach
Mouseketeer

Brizzer,
Welcome.
there is a sub-forum for campers....look down the forum list and you'll come to it. not sure this will work but I've tried to copy the link for you.
Peach

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Disneypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
MDKLHunter
Earning My Ears

We were at the Fort last week in the 1500 loop in a rented pop-up, Easter week when it was booked to capacity. I found the comfort station fantastic, only one morning about 7:30 were the showers busy but someone came out as soon as I came in. There are four showers, four toilets and three sinks, none of it was a problem. Our loop was right across from the pool, very nice to simply walk over. We did have a golf cart which was convenient when coming back from the parks not to have to wait on the bus. However we did use the busses a few times and it was no problem either, there seemed to be lots of them circling. It was my first time camping there, we are maybe twice a year campers at home, and I absolutely loved it! The pool atmosphere was fun and the relaxation of the surroundings and the people was a great contrast to the busy-ness of the parks. I plan to book for next year, even if we don't do the parks next year. In fact, even though we didn't go park-commando, I didn't feel like we got to do everything we wanted at the Fort. I guess that's what next time is for!

1987-1989 Spring Break bus trip from Indiana-FW
Sept. 2005 AsMu Free Dining-first Disney family trip!
Sept. 2006 POFQ Free Dining-New baby, back again!
Sept. 2007 POFQ Free Dining-We love this place!
Jul. 2008 DLR-SoCal family reunion
Dec. 2010-WL/AKL...coldest Orlando temps since
1962, didn't plan for that!
Aug. 2011-POP Spontaneous girls' trip with the
cousins!
June 2012-Caribbean Beach just mom & girls, didn't
tell them until we were at the airport!
March/April 2013-Ft. Wilderness Camping & our first
Disney Cruise (3nt on the Dream)
MDKLHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Looks like you got some good coverage on your ?s.
Nice idea about seeing how it may work to mail to the rental company, depending. We are going to be renting a pop up, and that would've worked for us...but I just mailed to the fort front desk, instead.
I appreciated Southern Bell's reply in particular, she answered something I was wondering about, too.
How important a cart is depends on what you think about walking a lot, or waiting a lot, and how laid back you can be... ? ?
Ask ?s as they come, so I can pick up more tips, too.
Hope your experience turns out to be something you'll want to repeat!

Me, DH edu IT man, 17, 15, 13, 11, 8, 5.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

The comfort stations have always been kept very clean. I've never had a problem. Never too crowded either, but the pop-up/tent loop stations seem to have heavier use. Never used a golf cart. I love the fort and most specially the price compared to a hotel, So renting a golf cart to me is an unnecessary expense. We are taking our bikes for the first time this year, but have never had a problem with internal transportation. Have fun!!

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: