Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
jamielsmith
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Re-keying Stateroom Keys

We are traveling with a group of 19 split up between 6 rooms & are going on the Disney Fantasy March 30, 2013. When we booked our trip, we were told by our travel agent that the manifest had met its quota for filling the max. capacity for its rooms & we would have to book rooms with the lesser of the number of people per room as the maximum capacity (ie In a stateroom that could sleep 4-5 we could only put 4 people in that room because a certain number of rooms in the same category met the quota for having 5 people in the room). She said to remedy this we would have to book an extra room & once we got onboard we could re-key our cards so that a family of 5 would not be split up into two rooms. However, we are not all in the same category. Some of the people in a category 8 stateroom are supposed to be staying in a category 4 with the rest of their family but we do have people who are in category 5 rooms that need to be in another category 5. Will DCL let us do what she is saying they will let us do? I hope this all makes sense.
jamielsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamielsmith View Post
We are traveling with a group of 19 split up between 6 rooms & are going on the Disney Fantasy March 30, 2013. When we booked our trip, we were told by our travel agent that the manifest had met its quota for filling the max. capacity for its rooms & we would have to book rooms with the lesser of the number of people per room as the maximum capacity (ie In a stateroom that could sleep 4-5 we could only put 4 people in that room because a certain number of rooms in the same category met the quota for having 5 people in the room). She said to remedy this we would have to book an extra room & once we got onboard we could re-key our cards so that a family of 5 would not be split up into two rooms. However, we are not all in the same category. Some of the people in a category 8 stateroom are supposed to be staying in a category 4 with the rest of their family but we do have people who are in category 5 rooms that need to be in another category 5. Will DCL let us do what she is saying they will let us do? I hope this all makes sense.
They won't re-key the cards. But Guest Services will issue additional cards (called "mom keys") for access to a different room than you are registered in. These cards will not have charging privileges or (I think) are useable for disembarking/embarking the ship in ports. They are just an extra room key.

DCL pretty much doesn't care where someone sleeps. Just be sure to let your room host know who you need the beds made up. And each person will have to attend the lifeboat drill they are assigned to based on which room the are actually registered in.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
clten
DIS Veteran

We've found if you handle this request at the port when checking it, it is easier. They can issue your keys and have them set up to the rooms that everyone will be sleeping, regardless of where they are booked. They've done this for us on a smaller scale than your group but had no problems. (We were all adults and didn't have need for 'Mom keys' to the other room(s)). I think if you wait until you are onboard, Guest Services prefers to just issue the extra key
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
We've found if you handle this request at the port when checking it, it is easier. They can issue your keys and have them set up to the rooms that everyone will be sleeping, regardless of where they are booked. They've done this for us on a smaller scale than your group but had no problems. (We were all adults and didn't have need for 'Mom keys' to the other room(s)). I think if you wait until you are onboard, Guest Services prefers to just issue the extra key
so if I can ask, I get a military discount and my BIL, SIL and nephew want to go with us. Right now I have a good rate and am thinking out putting the nephew in my room to get his discount. the IL would have to book their own room w/o discount. Can i move the nephew to his room at the check in counter, where his charges and tips and all will come off my BIL's account? And have him sleep in his room.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
clten
DIS Veteran

Your nephew would still show as being on your reservation (in your room), even if they re-key him to sleep in the other room. However, when you do your check-in, your in-laws would have to put on their account that they are taking financial responsibility for your nephew. Then even though your nephew will show as being in your room, your in-laws will pay for anything charged to his KTTW card or excursions or tips.

Also didn't think about that when posting to the OP because our rooms were always in the same area and had the same stateroom host. Since tips are automatically put on your stateroom account, it may be a little messed up if the rooms are not close/don't have the same stateroom host. That's an easy fix, either remove the tip entirely and tip in cash, or adjust so the one doing the work gets the right tip.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
Your nephew would still show as being on your reservation (in your room), even if they re-key him to sleep in the other room. However, when you do your check-in, your in-laws would have to put on their account that they are taking financial responsibility for your nephew. Then even though your nephew will show as being in your room, your in-laws will pay for anything charged to his KTTW card or excursions or tips.

Also didn't think about that when posting to the OP because our rooms were always in the same area and had the same stateroom host. Since tips are automatically put on your stateroom account, it may be a little messed up if the rooms are not close/don't have the same stateroom host. That's an easy fix, either remove the tip entirely and tip in cash, or adjust so the one doing the work gets the right tip.
thank you!

2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)

3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

When we sailed in September, checkin at the port refused to adjust room keys. It was DH in one cabin and mom and I in another. Obviously I wanted to be in the cabin with DH. Our only recourse was for me to get an extra card to open DH cabin. It would only open the door and could not be used to charge or get off the ship. All charges went to mom's cabin if I used my card. We had connecting cabins so it was no big deal tip wise.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
When we sailed in September, checkin at the port refused to adjust room keys. It was DH in one cabin and mom and I in another. Obviously I wanted to be in the cabin with DH. Our only recourse was for me to get an extra card to open DH cabin. It would only open the door and could not be used to charge or get off the ship. All charges went to mom's cabin if I used my card. We had connecting cabins so it was no big deal tip wise.
which port was it?

Upcoming Cruises:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post

which port was it?
Port Canaveral.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

I can get the mom key, that will work. My main issue is going to be seeing if my in-laws can be add their son to their room so charges he makes will be charged to their room. I would figure that would be easy, especially when there are folks that cover other rooms purchases while on board.

Upcoming Cruises:
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
I can get the mom key, that will work. My main issue is going to be seeing if my in-laws can be add their son to their room so charges he makes will be charged to their room. I would figure that would be easy, especially when there are folks that cover other rooms purchases while on board.
When you register, it asks if you are responsible for the charges of XYZ in your room. For your nephew, just say no, and when they ask for a CC number, put in his parents' card number.

When you get your final bill, all his charges will go to his parents, including the charges for his tips, his excursions, his KTTW charges for drinks or in the shops.

I'm traveling in the same room as my mother and cousin and all three of us are paying for our own bills, with three different credit cards. Since I'm #1 on the reservation, I'm assuming any 'general' charge (like a phone call or damages or whatever - not that there'll be those!) would go to me, but so should the OBC, my gift cards, my rewards points, etc. If not, it will be very easy to sort out because they do separate all charges by KTTW card.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, groups, stateroom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: