Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
operationremie
Mouseketeer

gps watches

So I've been running for almost a year now and I just use my iPhone, Pandora and run keeper to do my daily miles (and dailymile.com too) but I see a lot of people using GPS watches when they run, either online or in person. What are your thoughts on these? What do people recommend for a less than $100?

Sorry if this has been discussed already. I'm on my phone.

My Training Blog: http://ageekintraining.blogspot.com/
Total Miles in 2013: 235.84
2013 Races: 5/13 - Pineapple 5K (Greenwich, CT), 6/23 - Bluff Point Trail Run (Groton, CT), 7/14 - 5K Foam Fest (Haverhill, MA), 7/20 - Run or Dye 5K (Hartford, CT), 9/15 - Surftown 13.1 (Westerly, RI), 9/28 - Color Me Rad 5K (Providence, RI), 10/12 - Hartford Half Marathon (Hartford, CT)

operationremie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 and I *LOVE* it! I don't need or want a lot of extra features and this fits the bill. It tracks distance, time, pace and calories burned. It also lets you set a pace and alerts you if you get ahead or behind. You can sync it to your computer and it will show you the route that you ran, elevation changes and your pace.

Unfortunately, it is not under $100. DH bought it for me for my birthday and it was $120. Maybe you can find a coupon code or a sale price somewhere. I highly recommend it.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer

Most GPS watches are over 100. I have a garmin 610 it was about $400 but I love it. They make a couple of Garmin models now around 100-200 that seem to be well loved.

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
operationremie
Mouseketeer

Sweet. I was actually looking at the garmin 10. Might have to look more into it

2013 Races: 5/13 - Pineapple 5K (Greenwich, CT), 6/23 - Bluff Point Trail Run (Groton, CT), 7/14 - 5K Foam Fest (Haverhill, MA), 7/20 - Run or Dye 5K (Hartford, CT), 9/15 - Surftown 13.1 (Westerly, RI), 9/28 - Color Me Rad 5K (Providence, RI), 10/12 - Hartford Half Marathon (Hartford, CT)

Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

I have a Nike+ GPS with the footpod for your shoe and really like it. But alas it also is more than $100.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I was just coming to ask the same sort of question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 and I *LOVE* it! I don't need or want a lot of extra features and this fits the bill. It tracks distance, time, pace and calories burned.
How does it calculate calories? Does it have a HR monitor on it, or is it an estimate?

My Polar FT7 (just a HR monitor) has annoyed me, because it's one that you're supposed to be able to change the batteries, for, except that we cannot get the battery cover off. Not me, DH, nor the watch repair guy can budge that thing. I could buy a whole new set (exact same thing I have) for the same amount as I can buy the actual monitor that I'm trying to change the battery on. Grr.

But I'm eventually moving towards running on something other than a treadmill, so I've been thinking of a GPS watch with HR monitor (I don't mind a strap). I use calories burned to figure out my WW Activity Points, and since I eat those points it's important to know it's as accurate as it can be. : )

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 04-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I was just coming to ask the same sort of question!

How does it calculate calories? Does it have a HR monitor on it, or is it an estimate?

My Polar FT7 (just a HR monitor) has annoyed me, because it's one that you're supposed to be able to change the batteries, for, except that we cannot get the battery cover off. Not me, DH, nor the watch repair guy can budge that thing. I could buy a whole new set (exact same thing I have) for the same amount as I can buy the actual monitor that I'm trying to change the battery on. Grr.

But I'm eventually moving towards running on something other than a treadmill, so I've been thinking of a GPS watch with HR monitor (I don't mind a strap). I use calories burned to figure out my WW Activity Points, and since I eat those points it's important to know it's as accurate as it can be. : )
No heart rate monitor. When I set it up online, it asked for my height and weight. I think it is a rough calculation based on that and your pace. I also use MyFitnessPal and I have found that the calories burned are very similar to what the Garmin says.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No heart rate monitor. When I set it up online, it asked for my height and weight. I think it is a rough calculation based on that and your pace. I also use MyFitnessPal and I have found that the calories burned are very similar to what the Garmin says.
Interesting, thank you.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

I have a Forerunner 405CX. I love it. I also think it's in the $100-$200 range. It does so much stuff that I haven't even learned it all in the past year. I recently started incorporating interval training in my routine and it helps out tremendously with that. It has all the basic features as well, tracking distance and speed, and it also has a HR monitor. At first I didn't think I would like the HR monitor, but now I realize it is a good training tool as well. I highly recommend it.
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

I have the Garmin Forerunner 210 with the heart rate monitor. I like it. I still use my iPhone for the Galloway program, but I like being able to see my pace and distance along with my heart rate at a glance.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
operationremie
Mouseketeer

definitely gives me some ideas. thanks everyone :D

Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

I have the Garmin 410 and just love it. I got it on amazon for $139. I prior had a used Garmin 405, and notice only slight changes to the 410.

As an option, you could try that approach for your first Garmin - buy it used - but you risk not knowing exactly how long it will last, etc. In my case I bought it from a friend at a great bargain price, and with full disclosure that it might only last a couple of years. But it gave me an opportunity to acclimate to a Garmin, and determine which features I really liked before getting a brand new one.
Disney resorts: Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans French Quarter (twice), Pop Century, Coronado Springs, Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, and a few off-site hotels too.
Did our FIRST Disney Cruise Spring Break 2010.

tmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskidatheart View Post
I have a Forerunner 405CX. I love it. I also think it's in the $100-$200 range. It does so much stuff that I haven't even learned it all in the past year. I recently started incorporating interval training in my routine and it helps out tremendously with that. It has all the basic features as well, tracking distance and speed, and it also has a HR monitor. At first I didn't think I would like the HR monitor, but now I realize it is a good training tool as well. I highly recommend it.
I have this Garmin and love it. I got it on sale on Amazon last year.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Quote:
I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 and I *LOVE* it! I don't need or want a lot of extra features and this fits the bill. It tracks distance, time, pace and calories burned. It also lets you set a pace and alerts you if you get ahead or behind. You can sync it to your computer and it will show you the route that you ran, elevation changes and your pace.

Unfortunately, it is not under $100. DH bought it for me for my birthday and it was $120. Maybe you can find a coupon code or a sale price somewhere. I highly recommend it.
I completely agree. I love love love my Forerunner 10. It does all the things listed above and I have found it to be very very accurate on the pace and distance.
SuperHappyFunTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
operationremie
Mouseketeer

i got the 110 from amazon today. gonna get it in a few days. i'll let you know how i like it

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: