Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
2boysmom1998
Mouseketeer

Disney Eliminates Friday Magic Kingdom Evening Extra Magic Hours Over the Busy Summer

Disney Eliminates Friday Magic Kingdom Evening Extra Magic Hours Over the Busy Summer

Just an FYI - I was really planning on using that evening too. My 14 year old was really looking forward to it. These perks are why we stay on Disney property and pay a little extra, very frustrating. We are going to have to change our plans .

Click on the link below for more information.

http://www.easywdw.com/news/disney-e...he-busy-summer
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
bjmzl
Mouseketeer

I was disappointed in the elimination of the 2am MK hours too. My kids used to love being able to stay up that late.
bjmzl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
kmermaid
DIS Veteran

This really stinks! I arrive on a friday in July and was factoring in that the EMH E would take people away from the next day. Ugh!!
kmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
WeCantWait
DIS Veteran

I'm with you. So frustrating. So far this has been the most frustrating trip to plan. I am no longer seeing much benefit to staying onsite. Last August we were so hot during the day we decided to change our touring plans for this August. Now that my children are older we planned on taking full advantage of Evening Magic Hours, avoiding the midday sun as much as possible. My family likes to do Magic Kingdom on our first full day. I paid $200 more for airfare so that Friday would be our first full day in the parks so we could take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom, had a very stressful time trying to secure a Friday night BoG reservation, all for nothing. The thought of trying to move everything around now to be at Magic Kingdom on Sunday, does not appeal to me at all.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
mlittig
DIS Veteran

First they did away with the evening EMH character meet and greets , next they went from 3 hours to 2 hours AND now they are eliminating one night a week at Magic Kingdom so there is only 1 EMH night per week So much for the perks of staying on-site and paying more

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop 9/11 Pop 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 4/17/15 Old Key West
mlittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boysmom1998 View Post

Just an FYI - I was really planning on using that evening too. My 14 year old was really looking forward to it. These perks are why we stay on Disney property and pay a little extra, very frustrating. We are going to have to change our plans .

Click on the link below for more information.

http://www.easywdw.com/news/disney-e...he-busy-summer
We have never been in the summer and only experienced the Sunday EMH so I was confused at first, but it looks like they added Fridays the last few years due to the crowds. Bummer that they are taking away more EMH. I can only guess this has something to do with the eventual magic band/fastpass+ plans and that there will be on site benefits that make up for less EMH time. I sure hope we hear something soon. I agree with other posters that they are definitely trying to get people used to less or no EMH.

We will be there in August this year.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

i encourage everyone to email Disney and complain. if you are upset, then contact them.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
We have never been in the summer and only experienced the Sunday EMH so I was confused at first, but it looks like they added Fridays the last few years due to the crowds. Bummer that they are taking away more EMH. I can only guess this has something to do with the eventual magic band/fastpass+ plans and that there will be on site benefits that make up for less EMH time. I sure hope we hear something soon. I agree with other posters that they are definitely trying to get people used to less or no EMH.

No matter what is offered, I can't see it being valuable enough to replace EMH. Many go during this time to beat the afternoon blazing sun and heat. And for us, now that we have a teenager, well you know, they love to sleep late and stay out late. So as time passes, at least for my family, Disney may not be for us in the future. And while it may save Disney $$$, they are still very much ahead of the game with consistant park ticket and rack rate increases.

We have a trip planned this summer. I guess only time will tell.

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

The park hours calendar posted here on the DIS also shows no Evening EMH for Magic Kingdom the week of Sept 22 to Sept 28.

I did notice that compared to last year's calendar that the parks are staying open a little later (an hour here or there)

I too will miss evening EMH. DH would stay with the little kids and the adults and the big kids would go back for some big kid fun.

It is curious that EMH was the main marketing that was used to entice people to stay on property. With the reduction of this benefit, I will be interested to see what the on property advantage will be, especially since we bit the apple a few years ago and purchased into DVC and have become fond of our annual pass.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
3happydancers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
The park hours calendar posted here on the DIS also shows no Evening EMH for Magic Kingdom the week of Sept 22 to Sept 28.

I did notice that compared to last year's calendar that the parks are staying open a little later (an hour here or there)

I too will miss evening EMH. DH would stay with the little kids and the adults and the big kids would go back for some big kid fun.

It is curious that EMH was the main marketing that was used to entice people to stay on property. With the reduction of this benefit, I will be interested to see what the on property advantage will be, especially since we bit the apple a few years ago and purchased into DVC and have become fond of our annual pass.
I guess we bit into that same apple! We have always stayed on property. With all these changes, maybe we will switch things out and stay at Vero Beach, Head of the Hilton (I think that's the name), just try other places. Otherwise, do I dare say it...my family may decide to sell. There said it. Don't like it but we don't like the changes either. We won't be hasty. We will do the wait and see. But just like Disney can change, so can we!

2006, '07, '08 POFQ
2009 Saratoga Springs/POFQ
2010 Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
3happydancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
2boysmom1998
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post

I agree with you I'm sure it has something to do with the eventual magic band/fastpass+ plans. But, that doesn't help us right now. I haven't been to Disney World in 10 years. My oldest was 4 then and barely remembers the trip. He's at great age for EMH. DH was going to take him on Friday night and I was going to stay with my 6 year old in our hotel room then, I was going to take my oldest to EMH on Sunday night while DH stayed with our youngest. Now, one of us will take him on Sunday, too bad we aren't going to be able to get to share that fun one on one time.

Just bummed.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
wookiebeck
Fan of both WDW and USO

Maybe eliminating EMH is part of the year of Limited Time Magic...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiebeck View Post
Maybe eliminating EMH is part of the year of Limited Time Magic...
Limited TIME Magic. They are limiting your time in MK.

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
MacClemsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
kymom99
DIS Veteran

My family usually tries for rope drop, and usually we are successful. However, I am a night owl, so my son and I also like to head back out in the evening for some nightime fun. If the parks don't stay open late, that to me is disappointing. That is one reason I don't think I would like the off season. Last trip we saw F! and after it ended, we headed back to the resort. I was hoping one of the parks would be open late, but MK closed at like 11:00 or something like that, so we didn't have time to go over there. We got back to the room and I was nowhere near ready to go to bed. If Disney doesn't keep things lively well after dark in the summer, they are going to lose guests to other area attractions. They fight awfully hard to keep people on disney property, so eliminating the evening EMH just makes no sense to me at all.
June 2008: POFQ
June 2009: Cape Cod
June 2010: CBR The whole gang!
July 2011: Holiday World, Vegas NYNY
July 2012: 1st trip to Disneyland!
June 2013: Siesta Key and RCCL Bahamas
June 2014: Pittsburgh, PA
kymom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

I tend to agree. We stay on property because we utilize both EMH's and to eliminate the Friday night EMH at MK for the summer makes absolutely no sense at all. In total agreement with the lunacy of prices going up for less (and more expensive) enjoyment. I LOVE MK at night with all the lights on, and walking down Main Street all lit up. For me that's part of the magic. I love being among the last to leave the park so I can see the Kiss Goodnight and wave to and chitter chat with those adorable CMs waving everyone a goodnight. Oh well, as George Harrison said, all things must pass (I suppose).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: