Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
dgmommie
Mouseketeer
 
dgmommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyriddle

I love getting the CD as well. We budget for it. It's my one expense. We figure we never take family portraits, so the price is t too bad. Plus if we were to have family portraits done at home, the prints would be outrageous. We upload the photos from the cd to Costco to print. On our last cruise, the photographer was insistent to take some DH and DW shots. We have some cute couple pictures now that I LOVE and generally I don't like my pictures. *own worst critic
We have gotten the photos and cd on our last three cruises. We plan for the expense. We use them for our family photos, and then we take as many other photos as we can. Our 7 day Fantasy cruise last summer had about 150 photos. We could have gotten more, but didn't try for everything.

The photographers aren't going to allow you to take your own photos at their posed stations, unless you are pretty gutsy and take the photos on the sly. That's their business. Character photos they will allow you to use your own camera.
__________________
Feb. 1992 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Nov. 2000 - WDW Caribbean Beach, Feb. 2002 - WDW All Star Sports, Polynesian, Sep. 2003 - WDW Polynesian, Dec. 2004 - WDW Pop Century, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Oct. 2005 - WDW Pop Century, May 2006 - Disneyland, Mar. 2007 - WDW Pop Century, WDW Coronado Springs, DCL Wonder, Nov. 2007 - DCL Wonder, Dec. 2008 - Disneyland, Dec. 2009 - DCL Wonder, Mar. 2011 - WDW Pop Century, DCL Dream, July 2012 - DCL Fantasy - GOLD CASTAWAY CLUB MEMBERS NOW!!!, Dec. 2012 - Disneyland, Feb. 2013 - DCL Magic, WDW (cruise stop), Mar. 2014 - DCL Fantasy
dgmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
JillShari
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 341

I must be the exception....

but, we didn't have many photos in our box at the end of the cruise. We did take photos on pirate night in two different backdrops, and in the dining room on 2 nights. Also at embarkation. But, I didn't really like our photos. My 3 year old was scared of every character and was happy to see them from about 10 feet away. So, we had a credit for a free 8x10 from our travel agent, so we picked one out. And we got two others, which I am in and show that I was indeed on the vacation...since I take all the photos with my DSLR and I'm never in any of them. We didn't spend much.

I guess if you make sure you look good and make sure to get in alot of photo ops, which my family often passed on... then it may be worth it, but we had a professional session at home this past fall, so I wasn't terribly upset that we didn't get that perfect shot.
JillShari is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
Ljbadfan
table #71
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 215

just remember, the photo people who work for shutters on the cruise ships, cant take photos with your camera. they arent allowed to use it. the only people who can take photos with your camera, are the disney cruise workers. keep that in mind. so if you get in line and there isnt a disney cast with the characters, then you have to take the photo yourself
__________________
Ljbadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
jm106
DIS Veteran
 
jm106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljbadfan View Post
just remember, the photo people who work for shutters on the cruise ships, cant take photos with your camera. they arent allowed to use it. the only people who can take photos with your camera, are the disney cruise workers. keep that in mind. so if you get in line and there isnt a disney cast with the characters, then you have to take the photo yourself
Thanks for the info, I am fine with taking my own pics with characters of my kids I do not want to be in photos with characters myself anyway, just the kids. I didnt expect the professionals to take pics with my camera. Again, I have a ton of character pics anyway from August so we dont need a ton more. I much prefer the casual pics when kids are just having fun. Helpful info everyone, thanks so much, Ill budget for a few pics and I think I will be more then happy with that.
__________________
7 days Hilton May 2009, 6 days CBR May 2011, 9 days ASMusic/AKL August 2012, Disney Wonder 5 nt Cozumel/Castaway Cay April 2013, 10 day split/Orlando IRC October 2014

jm106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmommie View Post
We have gotten the photos and cd on our last three cruises. We plan for the expense. We use them for our family photos, and then we take as many other photos as we can. Our 7 day Fantasy cruise last summer had about 150 photos. We could have gotten more, but didn't try for everything.

The photographers aren't going to allow you to take your own photos at their posed stations, unless you are pretty gutsy and take the photos on the sly. That's their business. Character photos they will allow you to use your own camera.
We haven't found this to be true. We've had our picture taken on formal night (with and without the Captain). And while the Shutters photographer was taking our picture, a DCL CM was using our camera to take our picture. Yes, the professional one was generally better, but we had both.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
madelyn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,108

We will be going on a 4 day cruise in December. I thought I read somewhere else that the photo CD was priced PER CABIN. I have a family of 5 and we are in 2 3 person cabins. My 2 sisters are going on the cruise also and will be in their own cabin. Will we be able to get all our photos on one CD or will it require the purchase of 3 CDs. If 3 CDs, don't think that will be worth it.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn View Post
We will be going on a 4 day cruise in December. I thought I read somewhere else that the photo CD was priced PER CABIN. I have a family of 5 and we are in 2 3 person cabins. My 2 sisters are going on the cruise also and will be in their own cabin. Will we be able to get all our photos on one CD or will it require the purchase of 3 CDs. If 3 CDs, don't think that will be worth it.
Your immediate family (you and your kids) can get your two cabins on one CD. Your sisters will have to pay for their own CD.
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn View Post
We will be going on a 4 day cruise in December. I thought I read somewhere else that the photo CD was priced PER CABIN. I have a family of 5 and we are in 2 3 person cabins. My 2 sisters are going on the cruise also and will be in their own cabin. Will we be able to get all our photos on one CD or will it require the purchase of 3 CDs. If 3 CDs, don't think that will be worth it.
If your 2 rooms are, for example, Mom and kid(s) in one room and Dad and kid(s) in the second room, then you can get 1 CD for those 2 rooms. It's for nuclear family. Extended family rooms - each room gets it's own CD.

Now, if the CD was purchased by one of the 2 rooms that are together, and at least one of those 5 people is in a picture with the 2 from the "other" room, that picture would be included on the CD.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
madelyn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,108

I was wondering how that would work. Do you give a cabin number or let them scan a stateroom key after you take a photo? I am familiar with how Photopass in the parks works but this is our first cruise. So if we have any photos with my sisters we will have those photos on our "account" and on the CD if we chose to purchase it but if my sisters have photos of alone, then those photos will be in their account? Anyone know how much the CD costs for a 4 night Wonder cruise? Earlier I saw someone mention $279 but she also mentioned getting prints with that. Is there a cheaper package that only includes the CD and no prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
If your 2 rooms are, for example, Mom and kid(s) in one room and Dad and kid(s) in the second room, then you can get 1 CD for those 2 rooms. It's for nuclear family. Extended family rooms - each room gets it's own CD.

Now, if the CD was purchased by one of the 2 rooms that are together, and at least one of those 5 people is in a picture with the 2 from the "other" room, that picture would be included on the CD.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn View Post
I was wondering how that would work. Do you give a cabin number or let them scan a stateroom key after you take a photo? I am familiar with how Photopass in the parks works but this is our first cruise. So if we have any photos with my sisters we will have those photos on our "account" and on the CD if we chose to purchase it but if my sisters have photos of alone, then those photos will be in their account? Anyone know how much the CD costs for a 4 night Wonder cruise? Earlier I saw someone mention $279 but she also mentioned getting prints with that. Is there a cheaper package that only includes the CD and no prints?
I don't know about pricing tiers but to answer your first part, they do a combination of KTTW scans and facial recognition. So when my BFF and DD posed, they scanned my KTTW. As part of that scanned session, my BFF posed for solo shots. When the pics first went into the system kiosk for me to see, the solo shots were attached to my account. Later in the week, the facial recognition had caught it and those photos were moved from my account to hers despite them scanning my card. The shots of her and my DD together were still on my account.

The facial recognition also helps them track the photos taken in the MDRs and candid around the ship.
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
stefanospops
DIS Veteran
 
stefanospops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 628

We did a 5 day cruise in July. WE weren't planning on buying the CD at first but they had a promo that if you bought the CD on the first day they included all the printed pictures for free, or something like that. Long story short once we decided to buy they CD we did our best to take as many pictures as possible. As others have said, we used their white screens to take family photos and I tell you we have some amazing pictures. By the end of the cruise all the photographers knew us and they were amazing. One thought that we even broke the record for a 5 day cruise. We easily had 200 photos and we had the time of our lives taking all those pics!
__________________
Me DW DS (8) DS (6) DD (4)
stefanospops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
ses1230
DIS Veteran
 
ses1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philly 'burbs
Posts: 6,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post

The facial recognition also helps them track the photos taken in the MDRs and candid around the ship.
So they are taking candid pictures during the cruise, and they just show up in your account?

Do you just buy the CD on the first day knowing that you want it no matter what, or do you wait to see if the pictures are good? We always get the photo CD at the parks with the prearrival offers, but this is so much more expensive, I'm not sure about it!
__________________


1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #28
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post

So they are taking candid pictures during the cruise, and they just show up in your account?

Do you just buy the CD on the first day knowing that you want it no matter what, or do you wait to see if the pictures are good? We always get the photo CD at the parks with the prearrival offers, but this is so much more expensive, I'm not sure about it!
Yes, we always buy the CD, and are never disappointed. They are professionals and are far more reliable than the gamble that is Photopass in the parks.
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #29
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer
 
Heyriddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanospops View Post
We did a 5 day cruise in July. WE weren't planning on buying the CD at first but they had a promo that if you bought the CD on the first day they included all the printed pictures for free, or something like that. Long story short once we decided to buy they CD we did our best to take as many pictures as possible. As others have said, we used their white screens to take family photos and I tell you we have some amazing pictures. By the end of the cruise all the photographers knew us and they were amazing. One thought that we even broke the record for a 5 day cruise. We easily had 200 photos and we had the time of our lives taking all those pics!
Any idea what night on a 7 night cruise they have the white backdrop up?
__________________


2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #30
Meghatron
DIS Veteran
 
Meghatron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyriddle View Post

Any idea what night on a 7 night cruise they have the white backdrop up?
In my experience it's every night except the last one.
__________________
Me DH DD (5) DS (2)
Disneyland Annual Passholder; eloped in Snow White's Grotto
Castaway Club Gold; miss having DCL in our backyard!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.