Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
jm106
DIS Veteran

Photos and Photo Packages

Can anyone share more info about the photo ops aboard? How many photos did you get and what were they?
I know formal or dress up pics, but how often are there M&G? I read the lines are crazy, esp on KSF cruise like ours. What other times are photos taken? Is there a photographer on CC? In MDRs?

I can only recall the posed pics aboard my cruise 20 yrs ago and they were not great. The cost of the photos or CD is high so I want to know what to expect so I can budget for them.

Feel free to share pics as I would love to see what they do.
TIA

jm106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
over50visits
DIS Veteran

The prices are so unreasonably high it's hard to believe they get anyone to pay it. Bring your camera, and the photographers (they are not cast members) will use it to take your picture in any of the settings. Just get in the line and hand it to them when you get to the front.
over50visits is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm106 View Post
Can anyone share more info about the photo ops aboard? How many photos did you get and what were they?
I know formal or dress up pics, but how often are there M&G? I read the lines are crazy, esp on KSF cruise like ours. What other times are photos taken? Is there a photographer on CC? In MDRs?

I can only recall the posed pics aboard my cruise 20 yrs ago and they were not great. The cost of the photos or CD is high so I want to know what to expect so I can budget for them.

TIA
The cost is so high because it is an actual photography company that Disney contracts with. The people taking the pictures are photographers, not Cast Members. The quality is good if you liked posed pictures. We typically buy one or two but don't get the CD because we're not big on posed portraits (and we have a photographer in the family).

As for where they are - everywhere! From the time you board the ship to the night before you leave, you have tons of photo ops. They do pictures every time there are character meet and greets. The lines aren't too bad (we just did a KSF four weeks ago) except for the princess one. We got there 45 minutes early and were about 10th in line for that one. The formal night posed lines are long too. They do have photographers everywhere on CC (even in the water and on the slide platforms) and occasionally in the MDR (for sure on pirate night, formal night, and in Animator's Palate).

If your cruise is going to WDW, like ours did, you get a special PhotoPass card and all of your park photos are included on your CD as well. I would think that would make the CD worth it, or if you're going with a big group, like a family reunion or something.

As for what the PP said about handing them your camera, that works for the characters because there is a Disney CM there who will take the photo but I've never been allowed to do that with the formal shots with the professional backgrounds. In fact, I got in trouble for taking pics of my kids on one they had set up early (no one was there so I thought I'd just snap a quick pic). That was a few years ago so maybe they relaxed that policy? I wouldn't count on it though. If they did that, they wouldn't make any money off their photographs!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
jm106
DIS Veteran

Thank you. I would love to see some photos. I am not crazy about posed pics but would like one decent family photo. I wondered about them using your camera but forgot to ask that. Good to know. M&G, I think getting in line 45 min ahead IS long so that might not happen much. We just went to WDW in Aug and got so many pictures there, M&G and CD so I am ok missing some.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

My almost 3 year old fell in love with the characters this cruise and we got a ton of character pictures. The CM would take the pictures if I was in them or I took the pictures. I looked at my picture box and had over 65 pictures at the end of the cruise. Most of our character lines were not that long at all. The only really long line we waited in was the Princess M&G. The rest, there were maybe 5-10 people in front of us.

As for the posed pictures. On our cruise there were lots of opportunities. They had professionals in front of the Minnie statue on both Formal and Semi Formal night. They had them set up with backdrops every night. They had them for embarkation photos. They had them on Castaway Cay at certain locations. Just like with photopass you can get a ton of pictures taken or no pictures taken or any number in between. On all 3 cruises I have found that there were at least 3-4 places on Formal night to get pictures. Some had much longer lines than others. The early you get there the shorter the lines.

I didn't purchase any on board and regret that. I thought I had a couple shots of the whole family on my camera that I didn't have so I am trying to get 2 pictures I liked and didn't buy now. Hopefully they can find them and I'll be able to purchase them.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Some photo examples taken with our cameras

On Castaway Cay

A chance encounter with Belle, this wasn't a scheduled Photo Op. Take your camera with you everywhere, characters will walk around and interact with guests

Formal night

Some characters have fun backgrounds

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm106 View Post

TIA
As noted by PP, the photographers are a concessionaire. Prices for photos are 8X10 - $19.95; and 6X8 - $12.95. The 8X10 photos are the ones they take at the formal photo locations (sometimes with the Captain), as well as the roving photographers in the dining rooms; and the 6X8 ones are the character photo ops at the meet & greets.

There is a photo CD that will include all the photos you have taken during your cruise. The price on this varies, for a 7 night cruise it's $349.95. For an additional $50.00 you can have prints of all the photos on the CD, also.

There are photo packages - 10 or 20 photos. The 10 photo package is $149.95; and the 20 photo package is $249.95. The 10 or 20 photos can either be actual prints or a copy of the CD with 10 or 20 of the photos unlocked for your access once home.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

As previous posters have mentioned, there are many opportunities to have pictures take. I have 2 kids, and we get pictures taken with characters, at dinner, on pirate night, at CC, everywhere we can. I usually have my DSLR with me, and I take pictures too, but most of the time, because they have the correct lighting equipment, etc, their pictures turn out better than mine. I have bought the CD on both of our previous cruises, and will budget for it every time, because I want all those pictures. Last year, they even had a special deal that you got all the prints of your pictures, with the cute frames and dates for an extra $50. I got those too. I scrapbook, and for me, I can never have too many pictures!

Here are a few of our pics:

First cruise - The Incredibles

Second cruise - Pirate night with Captain Jack

Second cruise - Pirate night

Second cruise - Heading out for a day on the beach

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
tictoc
Mouseketeer

I just got off of a four night and I have almost 200 pictures. They were at every character sighting as well as the formal shots. I never waited more than 5 minutes to get a photo except with the princesses. Even the princesses was only 15 minutes. I had the late dining so I took my pictures while the families with little children were eating. I also waited until the final day of the Princess M&G so there was not much wait. I did ask one of the photographers to take some pictures of my kids on deck and the stairs. the were happy to do it. I am not sure f all would but this photographer had been extremely nice to my kids. The pictures are cheesy and posed but my kids loved taking them and I do not regret the $279 I spent on the cd and prints.

Tropical Storm Ernesto and I are Going to WDW for my Birthday! September 2006 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1209670

Me DH DS 18 DS 16 DD 11

tictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
vmb123
Disney Mom

The photographers on board are AMAZING! I always get the CD and pictures for I cant bear to leave them there....I am usually behind the camera taking all the pictures so it is nice to know that you will get amaizing pictures of your whole family to use for christmas cards etc. The photographers are very quick and lots of fun. Well worth the money.
vmb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
jm106
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing photos! very cute!! i hope to get one family photo and a few if the kids. The cd is just too much for us plus ill take many shots with my Dslr, less posed are my preference anyway.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
rounderjd
Earning My Ears

If you buy the CD, do the images come without the borders (or at least with and without the borders?) I like the idea of having a CD with every photo taken (a la PhotoPass CD at WDW), but I'm not sure I want the borders. I assume they can be edited out manually, but that's extra work.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderjd View Post
If you buy the CD, do the images come without the borders (or at least with and without the borders?) I like the idea of having a CD with every photo taken (a la PhotoPass CD at WDW), but I'm not sure I want the borders. I assume they can be edited out manually, but that's extra work.
AFAIK, the CD has borders on the photos. I've read where some people were able to get the printed photo of one with a border with no border. This was when the border was cutting off the people in the original photo.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
mrssmiddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderjd View Post
I'm looking at the images from my CD from last July / August, and I can't tell you what the rhyme or reason is. Some have borders, some do not. And it isn't at all consistent. One Cinderella with a border, one without. 2 Peter Pan with DD have a border, 1 Peter Pan with DS has a border, 1 does not. I think most of them could be cropped to remove the border without cutting out a person, but maybe not all. I don't know anything about photo editing (like photoshop), but I'm guessing that could be done with the proper software and knowledge. One thing to remember if you plan to buy the CD, get as many pictures taken as you find the opportunities for. Makes the cost of the CD more worthwhile if you have 100+ photos, over if you only have 20.

Disney Fantasy 7-Night Western Caribbean - October 2013
Disney Dream 5-Night - July 2012
Disney Dream 5-Night - August 2011
mrssmiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmb123 View Post
The photographers on board are AMAZING! I always get the CD and pictures for I cant bear to leave them there....I am usually behind the camera taking all the pictures so it is nice to know that you will get amaizing pictures of your whole family to use for christmas cards etc. The photographers are very quick and lots of fun. Well worth the money.
I love getting the CD as well. We budget for it. It's my one expense. We figure we never take family portraits, so the price is t too bad. Plus if we were to have family portraits done at home, the prints would be outrageous. We upload the photos from the cd to Costco to print. On our last cruise, the photographer was insistent to take some DH and DW shots. We have some cute couple pictures now that I LOVE and generally I don't like my pictures. *own worst critic

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: