Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

New here! Whats best? Better resort or longer trip?

We were pricing out a few options and we can do 7 days at AOA suite or at a lower level Deluxe or a Moderate. OR for about the same price so for 10 or 11 days if we stay at a Value. While I'm not thrilled with the Value Resorts the idea of more disney vacation days is tempting. What do you think? Will 10 days at a value be too much since they don't have as many amenities. Or it should be ok since we aren't really hang at the resort people anyway.
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose129 View Post
We were pricing out a few options and we can do 7 days at AOA suite or at a lower level Deluxe or a Moderate. OR for about the same price so for 10 or 11 days if we stay at a Value. While I'm not thrilled with the Value Resorts the idea of more disney vacation days is tempting. What do you think? Will 10 days at a value be too much since they don't have as many amenities. Or it should be ok since we aren't really hang at the resort people anyway.
I guess I'm no help because for longer trips I prefer a deluxe. Our trips at values/moderates have been 7-8 nights. Our trips at deluxes are 10 nights. Longer at a deluxe is much more comfortable and allows for time to enjoy the resort.

On shorter trips, we aren't in the room much so a value/mod is just fine.

to the Dis!!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD9) (DD7)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1

I guess I'm no help because for longer trips I prefer a deluxe. Our trips at values/moderates have been 7-8 nights. Our trips at deluxes are 10 nights. Longer at a deluxe is much more comfortable and allows for time to enjoy the resort.

On shorter trips, we aren't in the room much so a value/mod is just fine.
Thank you for your reply! That was my thought as well. My husband had said that he'd rather stay longer and instead of staying at our resort on down days, go to the beach or go check out sea world etc. so I just don't know which one of us is right hahaha thanks again!!
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Carriesouthard
Mouseketeer
 
Carriesouthard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 248

10 or 11 days is a long time to be go, go , going...we like to relax and enjoy the resort as well. If I were to stay longer I would definitely want a nicer resort so that I could have down time to relax, enjoy the pool with my kids etc....just my opinion.
Carriesouthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesouthard
10 or 11 days is a long time to be go, go , going...we like to relax and enjoy the resort as well. If I were to stay longer I would definitely want a nicer resort so that I could have down time to relax, enjoy the pool with my kids etc....just my opinion.
Ok thanks!! This is definitely helping!! I appreciate the help from all of you disney veterans
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Magalex
DIS Veteran
 
Magalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,302

We would always choose longer! We have stayed at moderate & value resorts. What are your dates? Maybe there be will a discount offer so it will be easier to stay at a moderate. POP as a value is very popular for the budget minded. We usually stay at a moderate but If someone offered a 10 day vacation at WDW/POP I would have no problems staying at that resort for 10 days.
__________________
WDW 2005-POP
WDW 2007-CBR
WDW 2009-POFQ
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
Sea World Orlando June 2014-Marriott Grande Vista
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran
 
pepe of ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border
Posts: 6,418

We couldn't go, go, go for a weeks vacation let alone 10-11 nights.... Just too much stress on back and legs and temperament !!

We've always preferred deluxe for the amenities...being close to a park for getting back for noon breaks.

Motel stays (value and moderate) I can do anywhere and anyplace but a deluxe themed resort like Disney is just icing on the cake... We'll take a shorter stay and stay deluxe..!
__________________
"May you live as long as you want and never want for as long as you live".

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
minnierocks
DIS Veteran
 
minnierocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,476

While we have never stayed that long, we usually are there for 7 nights...we are not hang out at the resort people so we usually stay at a value. Last time, we had a really good discount so we stayed at a moderate. Obviously, everything was a little nicer and we found that because it was nicer, we did use some of the amenities for a more relaxing trip. It had less of a "Disney" feel, but the beds were more comfortable, the pool was nicer (although just as crowded), the food court had a good selection and we had no problem with the bus service and long lines like we have experienced at the values. Having done both types of resorts and taken multiple Disney trips, if we had to choose...I do think I would pick the better resort due to the better beds (better sleep) and the fact that it was more relaxing. We were not totally exhausted when we left Disney like we usually are.
__________________
I need to plan another trip!
Anniversary Trip 2013!
Spring Break Trip 2013
Spring Break Trip 2011
Thanksgiving 2008
Thanksgiving 2007
*October 2006...Keys to the Kingdom
Keys to the Kingdom TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&page=1&pp=15

*Thanksgiving 2005
*February 2004
minnierocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magalex
We would always choose longer! We have stayed at moderate & value resorts. What are your dates? Maybe there be will a discount offer so it will be easier to stay at a moderate. POP as a value is very popular for the budget minded. We usually stay at a moderate but If someone offered a 10 day vacation at WDW/POP I would have no problems staying at that resort for 10 days.
Thank you! We are looking at end of November/early December. Are the value pools and such just not good to spend the day at? I doubt wed be sitting in the room ever. Even at a deluxe. We just aren't sit in the room type people. Does that make sense? Oh btw we have 2 elementary school aged sons as well I don't know if that makes a difference.
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Thank you everyone! This is really giving me a lot to think about! You are all do helpful!
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran
 
Wood Nymph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 3,692

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose129 View Post

Thank you! We are looking at end of November/early December. Are the value pools and such just not good to spend the day at? I doubt wed be sitting in the room ever. Even at a deluxe. We just aren't sit in the room type people. Does that make sense? Oh btw we have 2 elementary school aged sons as well I don't know if that makes a difference.
You almost answered your own question.

If you are not "stay in the resort" people, then don't spend the extra money for amenities you won't use. Our vacations are always focused on the resort stay. In fact, our biggest complaint of our last trip is that we didn't spend enough time relaxing at our resort.
__________________
~ Sue


Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose129 View Post
We were pricing out a few options and we can do 7 days at AOA suite or at a lower level Deluxe or a Moderate. OR for about the same price so for 10 or 11 days if we stay at a Value. While I'm not thrilled with the Value Resorts the idea of more disney vacation days is tempting. What do you think? Will 10 days at a value be too much since they don't have as many amenities. Or it should be ok since we aren't really hang at the resort people anyway.
We are a deluxe family so a shorter stay at a deluxe would be our choice; however, we do spend a lot of time at the resort (probably more time than at the parks), so we utilize the deluxe resort amenities. If you didn't go with a deluxe, I would recommend a moderate as the rooms are larger than at the values, they have double sinks, and the pools have slides (whereas the values have single bathroom sinks and no slide at the pools). Good luck.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
BriarRose129
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph

You almost answered your own question.

If you are not "stay in the resort" people, then don't spend the extra money for amenities you won't use. Our vacations are always focused on the resort stay. In fact, our biggest complaint of our last trip is that we didn't spend enough time relaxing at our resort.
I did, didn't I haha. I just didn't know if Disney would be different. But we are just so active that I can't imagine us sitting in a room while on vacation. Are there places we can like rent a boat or something? Or go exploring? That would be more of our idea of down time.
BriarRose129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
KELLY
DIS Veteran
 
KELLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Wells,me,usa
Posts: 5,436

I'm a longer person. We are doing 14 nights in a value and yes we do. Spend sometime at the resort. If I want peace I just go over to the 50's pool to avoid the activities. We have stayed at all levels so been there done that.
__________________


2003 ASMO, 2004 WL, 2005 POFQ, 2006 POFQ, 2007 SSR, 2008 SSR, 2009 POFQ& POP (FD) , 2010 POP (FD) , 2011 POP (FD), 2012 POP (FD),2013 pop (FD) up next POP FD bouncebacks
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Princess Disney Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 2,442

I've stayed as long as 6 nights at a value and 9 nights deluxe
If you don't have kids I think the values would get old fast. How about a split stay. Stay a few nights at the value and go to the beaches parks etc. Then switch to deluxe to relax around the resort. We have done that and it worked out very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
2003 - CR
2004 - Disneyland/CR/Shades of Green
2005 - DoubleTree WDW/ POP/ Shades of Green
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.