Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Help with Cabin Category Selection!

We currently have 3 category 4E cabins booked on the Dream (5550,5548, 5546). I picked them because they were all together and I liked the idea of the extended balcony.

But now that I'm reading more about them, I realize a 4E is really just a category 5 with a bigger balcony and not truly a category 4 when it comes to interior size.

There are 3 category 4C's available for about $50 per cabin. It would mean more inside space, but one family is just 2 adults, and the others have 2 young kids each, so I'm not sure how important the extra space is. We sort of already are above the original budget by getting a balcony in the first place, so this would mean another$50 more....that's a lot of drinks!

Can't decide! Any advice?

Thanks!
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Nap age kids? All I can add is I'm always surprised how little time we spend on the veranda. Perhaps if we repeated a ship we would, but it never seems to happen. Always on the move with so much to do, see, and eat.
Having said that, I would choose the larger interior space.
Don't pick deck 10; no 3 cabin verandas coonect.
Good luck
HTH
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
oliverdj
Mouseketeer

I say, if you are sailing for 3 nights save the money, I don't think it's much of a difference unless you'll plan to hang out in the cabin

---------------------------------------------
First Disney Cruise: 2012 Disney Dream
oliverdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Nap age kids? All I can add is I'm always surprised how little time we spend on the veranda. Perhaps if we repeated a ship we woud, but it never seems to happen. Always on the move with so much to do, see, and eat.
Having said that, I would choose the larger interior space.
Don't pick deck 10; no 3 cabin verandas coonect.
Good luck
HTH
My kids aren't, but my sister's youngest will still definitely be napping age. Maybe a good reason for a bigger balcony - space for the adult(s) to go while baby sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdj View Post
I say, if you are sailing for 3 nights save the money, I don't think it's much of a difference unless you'll plan to hang out in the cabin
I think you might be right. I'd rather have an extra $50 for souvenirs!
HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #5
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

If there are napping kids and you already have 4Es that you know for sure have larger verandas, then keep those rooms. You're exactly right that the larger space will be better for hanging out rather than more space inside with sleeping kids who will be on beds anyway.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Stay put IMO. Rooms are for sleeping ! As a PP said I was surprised at how little time we actually spent on the Verandah. That being said, we still loved having it. Have fun!

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post
We currently have 3 category 4E cabins booked on the Dream (5550,5548, 5546). I picked them because they were all together and I liked the idea of the extended balcony.

But now that I'm reading more about them, I realize a 4E is really just a category 5 with a bigger balcony and not truly a category 4 when it comes to interior size.

There are 3 category 4C's available for about $50 per cabin. It would mean more inside space, but one family is just 2 adults, and the others have 2 young kids each, so I'm not sure how important the extra space is. We sort of already are above the original budget by getting a balcony in the first place, so this would mean another$50 more....that's a lot of drinks!

Can't decide! Any advice?

Thanks!
Are there any 4Ds available? You could try to get two 4Ds next to one 5D (for the family sailing with 2 adults). Or you could get two 4Cs next to one 5C (for example: 7646, 7648, and 7650). Here's a link to the deck plans so you can see all of the possible combinations:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise...-DeckPlans.pdf

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
tgropp
DIS Veteran

I would be interested in knowing what rooms you take. We just sailed on the Fantasy and had a room on Deck 7, above the rooms that you are talking about. I am very interested in hearing about these rooms since a bigger balcony is so awesome to have and they looked big. For us, a bacony is very important and we do spend a lot of time there...usually spend an hour and a half having coffee etc in the morning and waiting for the shower, then another hour and a half having a glass of wine and getting ready for dinner and again at night. We find that we spend at least 4 hours a day out there. Those large balconys really got my attention. The only thing that worried me was that these rooms are on the same floor as the kids areas.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgropp View Post
I would be interested in knowing what rooms you take. We just sailed on the Fantasy and had a room on Deck 7, above the rooms that you are talking about. I am very interested in hearing about these rooms since a bigger balcony is so awesome to have and they looked big. For us, a bacony is very important and we do spend a lot of time there...usually spend an hour and a half having coffee etc in the morning and waiting for the shower, then another hour and a half having a glass of wine and getting ready for dinner and again at night. We find that we spend at least 4 hours a day out there. Those large balconys really got my attention. The only thing that worried me was that these rooms are on the same floor as the kids areas.
Just my opinion, not a big fan of the extra big balconies on the sides of the ship because everyone can look down on you. I would prefer the ones on the back of the ship if possible. On the Fantasy, as previously posted you cannot open the outside barier between rooms on deck 10. You can elsewhere. I would move to provide more space. My DW really likes the space and the chair provided in those rooms. My favorite deck is deck 7, connect the rooms and open up the balconies and you have plenty of space.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: