Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

New tours

I've read on here that ABDers are hopeful for 2014 dates to be released in May, as they were last year. When, if any, are new tours announced? Same time, any time? And just out of curiosity, when do they announce they are completely canceling a tour?

I would love to see India announced. I researched India before for a trip, and was completely lost. Ended up going to Peru instead (which was wonderful). So I would love a guided tour through India.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,574
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
I've read on here that ABDers are hopeful for 2014 dates to be released in May, as they were last year. When, if any, are new tours announced? Same time, any time? And just out of curiosity, when do they announce they are completely canceling a tour?

I would love to see India announced. I researched India before for a trip, and was completely lost. Ended up going to Peru instead (which was wonderful). So I would love a guided tour through India.
*Generally*, new itineraries are announced at the same time as the next year's schedule is announced. The only time I can remember when that didn't happen was when they tried the "Gateway" trips, which were trips that were somewhat "stripped-down", and therefore a bit cheaper. I'm assuming they didn't sell well, because they are gone now. They announced those in January of 2010, several months after the year's schedule was released.

As far as completely cancelling a tour (not just an individual departure), assuming it's a planned-out cancellation, the trip just won't show up on the next year's schedule of itineraries. There has been at least one time that I can recall where a new tour (New York/Boston) was cancelled well after the announcement because it just wasn't selling.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
*Generally*, new itineraries are announced at the same time as the next year's schedule is announced. The only time I can remember when that didn't happen was when they tried the "Gateway" trips, which were trips that were somewhat "stripped-down", and therefore a bit cheaper. I'm assuming they didn't sell well, because they are gone now. They announced those in January of 2010, several months after the year's schedule was released.

As far as completely cancelling a tour (not just an individual departure), assuming it's a planned-out cancellation, the trip just won't show up on the next year's schedule of itineraries. There has been at least one time that I can recall where a new tour (New York/Boston) was cancelled well after the announcement because it just wasn't selling.

Sayhello
Thank you, I figured it would be when dates are announced. I'm not feeling very hopeful about India, but I think it would be awesome.

I asked about the cancellations bc Egypt looks like it is dwindling down on departures. Alsmost looks like they are slowly backing out of that itinerary.

One more question, I understand tours generally go up in price once they are released. About how much would you guess a tour to increase within 4 months of being released? Generally speaking, of course.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,574
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
Thank you, I figured it would be when dates are announced. I'm not feeling very hopeful about India, but I think it would be awesome.

I asked about the cancellations bc Egypt looks like it is dwindling down on departures. Alsmost looks like they are slowly backing out of that itinerary.

One more question, I understand tours generally go up in price once they are released. About how much would you guess a tour to increase within 4 months of being released? Generally speaking, of course.
You never know about new itineraries. I think the Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos itinerary was a surprise to most of us!

The Egypt trip situation is really very different from most of the other cancellations we've seen. People are signing up for the trips, but they are being cancelled due to the political atmosphere in Egypt. I really think the trips were selling well, and that ABD would love to go, but they aren't going to do it if they think it's unsafe.

And yes, trip prices do tend to increase as the tours fill up. It seems to be a factor of how full the trips are, rather than how long the itineraries have been released. Some trips never increase, others (like Scotland!) went up over $500 within a month of being announced. I haven't really kept track, but I'm thinking most trips will go up by $400 - $500 if they are selling well. I think really popular dates have gone up by as much as $800 or so. (And dates ABD thinks will be popular have been known to *start* higher than other dates).

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
richflour
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: White GA
Posts: 86

We are going to germany in June and prices have went up$950 per person .(we booked 9months ago)
richflour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by richflour View Post
We are going to germany in June and prices have went up$950 per person .(we booked 9months ago)
That's a big difference. So average is about $100/month for yours.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,681

The Scotland tour started out with a price of $4999 and many dates for that trip went up by as much as $300 in the first week. The price for every date eventually went up by $960. I booked our Peru trip in Aug and it had already gone up by $100, and it went up by another $100 a day or two after I booked. After that, it fairly quickly went up to $4089, which is $650 more than the original price. But for a long while, the prices on the other dates didn't go up. Now most of them have increased to varying degrees, but there are still a couple of dates at the original price. It's a gamble to wait, especially if you have a specific date in mind.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

If I could book for next year as soon as it is available, I would. However, our first choice for our travel plans next year is Brazil for the World Cup. FIFA doesn't start the lottery until August, therefore we won't have dates until then, which means we can't have prices until then. We cannot do 2 international trips next year with the price we are anticipating WC. If it is more than we anticipate, we will do something else.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Bobo912
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
If I could book for next year as soon as it is available, I would. However, our first choice for our travel plans next year is Brazil for the World Cup. FIFA doesn't start the lottery until August, therefore we won't have dates until then, which means we can't have prices until then. We cannot do 2 international trips next year with the price we are anticipating WC. If it is more than we anticipate, we will do something else.
No trips have ever booked so quickly as Scotland did last year. I bet it will be fine to wait until August. Especially if you have a little flexibility in selecting a date. If ABD introduces an India trip next year, just pray they don't come out with a Pixar movie set in India at the same time.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post

No trips have ever booked so quickly as Scotland did last year. I bet it will be fine to wait until August. Especially if you have a little flexibility in selecting a date. If ABD introduces an India trip next year, just pray they don't come out with a Pixar movie set in India at the same time.
Unlikely that 'The Good Dinosaur' will be set in India lol.

So with Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos, how did that do after being released?
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
abbyjt
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Allentown, Pa
Posts: 220

The price on the Vietnam trip did not shoot up as quickly as some of the other trips. We booked right away. The price has gone up about $400 (I think, could be more), but it didn't begin increasing until December or January and we booked last May. There are currently 22 people booked on our departure. Usually the price increases as the trip fills.

We booked the Adults Only to Peru for Oct 2013. (Leaving the kids again woo hoo) We didn't book it until December of 2012. Right after the new year, the price began to increase. Maybe people use these trips as family holiday gifts. (nice gift)
__________________

ABDs: Norway (9/14), Austria, Germany & Czech Republic (6/14); Peru (10/13); Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos (6/13); Italy (10/12); Greece (6/12); China (7/11); South Africa (6/09); Germany (6/08); Spain (6/07); London/Paris (6/06)
abbyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
paddles
Mouseketeer
 
paddles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 172

I know folks have said that going to Japan is cost prohibitive for ABD to offer a tour...but I really want to go there!

I also would love if they offered a Scandinavia/Russia tour.

I can't wait to see what comes out for next year. If there's nothing that really excites me, I may book the DCL cruise from Venice to Barcelona (with Greece stops).
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
paddles
Mouseketeer
 
paddles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 172

BTW - I booked the Scotland trip for this summer. I waited 2 days after the trips/dates were announced, and I ended up paying $300 more per person! Lesson to self...if there's something I'm considering, book it the first day!!
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....
 
dizneekrazee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddles View Post
I know folks have said that going to Japan is cost prohibitive for ABD to offer a tour...but I really want to go there!

I also would love if they offered a Scandinavia/Russia tour.

I can't wait to see what comes out for next year. If there's nothing that really excites me, I may book the DCL cruise from Venice to Barcelona (with Greece stops).
I would be interested in Scandinavia/Russia too!! Japan, I doubt it would cover the itinerary we would want, but Japan is top of my bfs list.
__________________
DBF & I DS15 DS10 DS8

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #15
2BNDisney
Mouseketeer
 
2BNDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddles View Post
BTW - I booked the Scotland trip for this summer. I waited 2 days after the trips/dates were announced, and I ended up paying $300 more per person! Lesson to self...if there's something I'm considering, book it the first day!!
Wish I had been smart like you. I finally booked but I remember it was like every few days they kept raising the prices.
__________________
WALT DISNEY WORLD - March 1987 / December 1990 / December 1991 / April 1994 / September 1994 / December 1994 / March 1996 (Disney Institute) / December 1996 (Fort Wilderness and Yacht & Beach Club) / May 2000 / October 2000 / October 2004 (Pop) / December 2006 (Pop) / November 2010 (Saratoga Springs) / May 2011 (OKW) / December 2011 (BLT) / February-March 2012 (AK) / Sept-Oct 2012 (WL/BWV) / Nov 2013 (BLT) / Jan 2014 (VGF) / Sept 2014 (BCV)
-
DISNEYLAND - December 1996 / May 2013 (Paradise Pier)
-
DISNEY CRUISE LINE - 11 night Mediterranean on Magic - May 2010 / 7 night Alaska on Wonder - May 2011 / 14 night WB Transatlantic on Magic - Sept 2011 / 3 night Bahamas on Dream - December 2011 / 7 night E. Caribbean on Fantasy - Sept 2012 / 14 night Panama Canal on Wonder - May 2013 / 3 night Bahamas on Magic - Jan 2014
-
ADVENTURES BY DISNEY - Scotland - June 2013
2BNDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.