Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
MagicalAmandaFay
A dream is a wish your heart makes...

Best Deal going on right now?

I am trying to figure out what my best deal right now would be. We are looking at going in May or June. They have their spring sale with up to 30% off. Can that be combined with any other discounts such as a military discount or AAA? Just trying to figure out what my best options are.
MagicalAmandaFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

Typically, you cannot combine discounts. You simply pick the one that offers you the most savings.
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

If you want the best deal and you are military. May is appreciation month. SoG for $105 or maybe $85 depending on your rank, we are $105. Then we do the mywph&wp without tax $388, they do have cheaper but that is the best for us for 10 days. If going only one day at each park you can get the solute tickets, or the Stars and Stripes, all cheaper for military. Our 13 day vacation with military for 5 is $3600, food equal $1100 so $4700 for 13 days, thru Disney with 40% off for military at POR with food and tickets and plane fare( that was included early), would be over $7000, so you can't beat that. Oh military is 40% not 30% at a Disney hotel, but you won't get a discount on food and such, but you can add it. We figured we are saving about $3500, that is a great savings for Disney.

Last edited by gilesmt; 03-18-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Sorry food price wrong
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmt
If you want the best deal and you are military. May is appreciation month. SoG for $105 or maybe $85 depending on your rank, we are $105. Then we do the mywph&wp without tax $388, they do have cheaper but that is the best for us for 10 days. If going only one day at each park you can get the solute tickets, or the Stars and Stripes, all cheaper for military. Our 13 day vacation with military for 5 is $3600, food equal $1500 so $4700 for 13 days, thru Disney with 40% off for military at POR with food and tickets and plane fare( that was included early), would be over $7000, so you can't beat that. Oh military is 40% not 30% at a Disney hotel, but you won't get a discount on food and such, but you can add it. We figured we are saving about $3500, that is a great savings for Disney.
Wow! That is a huge deal! I'm not military, but very happy to see them getting such a great bargain!

The Whole Gang August 2014 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Wow! That is a huge deal! I'm not military, but very happy to see them getting such a great bargain!
Yes it is very nice, so sad we had to wait so long to get it. My ex was Vietnam, 100% service connected disabled, Purple Heart, and permanently disabled. In the 70's he got nothing. In the 80's when we married he got nothing. In the 90's he may have gotten 10% on food at a few places. In the 2000 he finally started to see it turn around, he now gets a lot of discounts. Why did it take another war, dessert storm and now Afghanistan and Iraq to start military to give discounts. We are just praying the sequester holds off just another year. We have two in college that are paid out of military funds due to his disability, he never used his benefits, and I already had my masters so we saved his benefit for the kids, one has 6 months left, the other has two years, we pray they don't drop the program so our kids college will be paid, then all the money we saved for them will buy our granddaughters college in 10 years. It is so said that it took so long for Vietnam vets to get any benefits. Thank you Disney and others that finally include them.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
MagicalAmandaFay
A dream is a wish your heart makes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmt View Post
If you want the best deal and you are military. May is appreciation month. SoG for $105 or maybe $85 depending on your rank, we are $105. Then we do the mywph&wp without tax $388, they do have cheaper but that is the best for us for 10 days. If going only one day at each park you can get the solute tickets, or the Stars and Stripes, all cheaper for military. Our 13 day vacation with military for 5 is $3600, food equal $1500 so $4700 for 13 days, thru Disney with 40% off for military at POR with food and tickets and plane fare( that was included early), would be over $7000, so you can't beat that. Oh military is 40% not 30% at a Disney hotel, but you won't get a discount on food and such, but you can add it. We figured we are saving about $3500, that is a great savings for Disney.
Those discounts are wonderful. I actually just spent some time looking into the military discounts to find out we do not qualify. My boyfriend was honorably discharged due to a service related injury. He was 82nd airborne, and had a bad jump. It has messed up his back, which still bothers him a lot but is only considered 40% disabled. It really is too bad, because I know many people that had some sort of service related injury. Even if you are considered 90% disabled, you don't qualify. I really am not sure how I feel about this.
MagicalAmandaFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
Those discounts are wonderful. I actually just spent some time looking into the military discounts to find out we do not qualify. My boyfriend was honorably discharged due to a service related injury. He was 82nd airborne, and had a bad jump. It has messed up his back, which still bothers him a lot but is only considered 40% disabled. It really is too bad, because I know many people that had some sort of service related injury. Even if you are considered 90% disabled, you don't qualify. I really am not sure how I feel about this.
If you can hold off until sept than you can go to shades of green for 30% off. All honorable military can go in sept and jan, that is about $85 a night and you can but the mywph&wp tickets there during those months, or Stars and Stripes. I can give you more info if you need, just pm me.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
brenbrady
Mouseketeer

shades of green for Military veterans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesmt View Post
If you can hold off until sept than you can go to shades of green for 30% off. All honorable military can go in sept and jan, that is about $85 a night and you can but the mywph&wp tickets there during those months, or Stars and Stripes. I can give you more info if you need, just pm me.
We (my husband and I) are taking advantage of the military discount for veterans this September. How is the transportation to the different parks?
What about the resturants at Shades of Green. Any and all info is appreciated.
brenbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicalAmandaFay View Post
I am trying to figure out what my best deal right now would be. We are looking at going in May or June. They have their spring sale with up to 30% off. Can that be combined with any other discounts such as a military discount or AAA? Just trying to figure out what my best options are.
I have been monitoring the boards for a vacation in August. The room only 30% deluxe, 25% moderate and 20% (i think) for value is the best I have seen. Still hoping to see something posted soon for August, but I would suspect nothing to be posted for at least a few weeks.

mm1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Tbiafore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
I have been monitoring the boards for a vacation in August. The room only 30% deluxe, 25% moderate and 20% (i think) for value is the best I have seen. Still hoping to see something posted soon for August, but I would suspect nothing to be posted for at least a few weeks.
If you can hold off until Sept, there is a good chance that they will be offering Free Disney dinning again which is also a fabulous deal. Assuming it happens again like the last several years.

--Thor
Tbiafore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenbrady View Post
We (my husband and I) are taking advantage of the military discount for veterans this September. How is the transportation to the different parks?
What about the resturants at Shades of Green. Any and all info is appreciated.
There are different options for the bus transportation. One is to walk to poly and catch the monorail, it is a very short walk, maybe 7 to 8 minutes, you can even cut it down and take the shady green, the golf cart to the end of the road and then walk to poly, then your walk is no longer than if you are in one of the outer buildings of poly. You can go to mk this way, and transfer or walk to ttc. You can also take the bus to them, or you can walk to poly and take the boats. To ask and Dhs the bus leaves hourly, or you can walk to poly and take there buses. Again it is not a very long walk, just 7 to 8 minutes. One night when coming home we where exhausted and grandbaby sleeping, grandpa limping, we got to poly and ordered a taxi, cost only $5 that is how close you are to poly, we just could not take another step that night.

We have done the breakfast and the buffet dinner, both where okay for us. Many people say they hate it, don't know why. I will put it this way, it is not fantastic, or moms cooking. But we have spent $35 for a buffet breakfast with the princesses that to me was awful, and we have spent about $12 a buffet breakfast that was okay, the egg omlets are cook to order so hot, not cold like at the princess place. Dinner was just okay, but again it was just okay at Hollywood and vines also and I paid a hell of a lot more. Granddaughter is older now so don't need more than one character meal, and for the price SoG is well worth the money compared to Disney, because I have never liked the buffet foods they offer.we have never eating at the Italian place so I don't know about that one. We have had lunch by the pool again, a little cheaper than Disney but about the same so so. The ice cream place is good, if you are still hungry and they are open, the hotdogs are good and the ice cream is a good snack and cheap. If I had to choose Disney prices for a so so meal or SoG prices for a meal, I would choose SoG, the food is about the same but the prices are much better. Others disagree, don't know what they are comparing It to, a buffet to me is always mediocre food, Luke warm and all you can eat, for 2/3 less in the price of the same food you fill your belly.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by gilesmt; 03-19-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: