Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmom3 View Post
Thanks everyone for your help. I just looked at the sunsmarties and they are almost perfect I sew, so I think I can make him a modified version that will cover the affected area.
To clarify, his surgery which necessitated the skin graft was planned long before this trip was booked. We double checked with his surgeon to insure that he would be in the clear to travel to Florida. His surgery will have been 2 months prior to the trip and according to the doctor, he will be fine to swim or play in splash pad areas.
He's not barred from all sun exposure but I do want to minimize it as much as possible. Our whole family is pretty pale so we are very careful about sun exposure/sun block/etc.
ahhh. Well that's at least better sounding! Have a good trip.

I do think your time between rides will be more problematic in the end, so your stroller, arm sleeves and whatever else you can find should really help the most
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help. I just looked at the sunsmarties and they are almost perfect I sew, so I think I can make him a modified version that will cover the affected area.
To clarify, his surgery which necessitated the skin graft was planned long before this trip was booked. We double checked with his surgeon to insure that he would be in the clear to travel to Florida. His surgery will have been 2 months prior to the trip and according to the doctor, he will be fine to swim or play in splash pad areas.
He's not barred from all sun exposure but I do want to minimize it as much as possible. Our whole family is pretty pale so we are very careful about sun exposure/sun block/etc.
When I read your OP I thought why not just sew something up? Now I see you do sew and that is perfect. I would say why not make the bowling shirt by Carla C, my favorite because it can be so much fun! For the sleeves make them long sleeves out of a light weight fabric that compliments the shirt but then have them go past the hands. Put elastic at the end of the sleeves and pull it to close enough so little hands don't come out easy but you could pull up the sleeves a bit if it were night.

Let me know if you would like me to draw this for you. Have a great trip.
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

I break out in a rash from sun exposure, and I am able to get by at Disney well with. GAP. I do watch where I go, and get out of the sun completely from 1 to 4 . I really think you have good advice from your doctor. Good luck with the glove, I think that might irritate him/ her though. You really can avoid sun exposure for the most part.
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #19
SCmom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieVanMom View Post
When I read your OP I thought why not just sew something up? Now I see you do sew and that is perfect. I would say why not make the bowling shirt by Carla C, my favorite because it can be so much fun! For the sleeves make them long sleeves out of a light weight fabric that compliments the shirt but then have them go past the hands. Put elastic at the end of the sleeves and pull it to close enough so little hands don't come out easy but you could pull up the sleeves a bit if it were night.

Let me know if you would like me to draw this for you. Have a great trip.
I just looked up that pattern, that is adorable. I like the idea of a one long-sleeve shirt. If he can't get out of it, he'll get used to it. He's in a cast from arm pit on down so that would be an improvement for him anyway.
SCmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #20
buffettgirl

Quote:
I just looked up that pattern, that is adorable. I like the idea of a one long-sleeve shirt. If he can't get out of it, he'll get used to it. He's in a cast from arm pit on down so that would be an improvement for him anyway.
another easy idea would be to just buy a long sleeved 'rash guard' type shirt in a larger size than needed and simply sew in some elastic or drawstring down at the hands.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
HaleyB
I am a good sister. Mostly.
I am cunfuzzled now
Wait!! You're a guy???!?

Not for your sons hand, but in general for your family if you want sun protection, umbrella's are great instant shade. Very light and they fold down small. Saves me for parades and such. Just be aware of people around you and close it up once the parade starts so you don't block others views.

Lost and Found with the Sillies, a Trip Report of sorts
Not so Much a Savings... a 2005 Trip Report.

Phbbbt! by steven_and_haley_bach, Hedgehog Blog!http://princesspricklepants.wordpress.com/

Recent Trips: Aug 2010 AKL/BWV; Sept 2010 Hawaii; December 2010 Disneyland; Jan 2011 Mexico Cruise with the girls; Feb 2011 GF Maelstrom Meet; Feb 2011 Anniversary trip AKL CL with 1 night Platinum Plan. May/June 2011 Family trip; GF CL Sept 2012; Bonnet Creek May 2012; YC CL Sept 2013;

[center]Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
The Silly Trip Report/Epic (2006 Trip Report) NEW again on 8/31/07 part 21!! Dude!!
Not so Much a Savings... a 2005 Trip Report.
[URL=http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1157739]
HaleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
another easy idea would be to just buy a long sleeved 'rash guard' type shirt in a larger size than needed and simply sew in some elastic or drawstring down at the hands.
Or just make a hole for the thumb in the too long sleeve

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
buffettgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Or just make a hole for the thumb in the too long sleeve
Even better.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
disneyandme
DIS Veteran

Look at the website for Sun Precautions. They carry special sun protective clothing.

disneyandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #25
SCmom3
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Our son just got his cast off and his incisions and skin graft has healed really well. The doctor said he will be fine with just sunscreen for touring the parks. I'm still planning to use a rashguard sleeve, especially in the waterpark areas. I don't trust sunscreen to stay on well enough on a hand.
SCmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #26
cobright
DIS Veteran

This is going to sound odd, bear with me please. I don't know what they call them but they are the thin arm length gloves women wear with eveningwear.

They make good sun clothing for hands and arms. I don't tolerate the sun very well and my skin reacts badly to sun screen, yet I had a job that took me to a far away desert and stuck me in the sun with my hands exposed for hours and hours. Won't get into that ... but I learned to dress like a Bedouin.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
cheerforchelsea
DIS Veteran

A few year ago we took my granddaughter to WDW after an attack by a dog left her with severe facial scars. Dr instructed us to keep her out of the sun and a Guest Assistance Card was of no help - it allowed her to wait in a shaded area if one was available - very few attractions had a shaded area available. After many years of laser scar revision treatments she is still suppose to avoid the sun - it can make scars that remain turn a deep purple that never lightens. We kept her in a stroller with a canopy and used light-weight baby blankets held on with clips to shield her from the sun. Also avoided being out from about 1-5 during the day. Best of luck and healthy healing for your little one!
5-84 CR, 5-85 CR, 5-96 off-site, 11-98 CBR, 11-99 AS Sports, 1-00 CBR, 11-00 CBR, 11-01 CBR, 3-02 AS Music, 5-02 CBR, 11-02 CBR, 3-03 CBR, 5-03 CBR, 11-03 POR:, 3-04-CBR, 5-04 POR, 11-04 CBR, 3-05 CBR, 5-05 CBR, 7-05 CBR, 11-05 POP, 3-06 POP, 5-06 POP, 8-06 WL, 11-06 CBR, 8-07 POP, 11-07 CBR, 1-08 AKL, 5-08 POR, 6-09 POR, 5-10 POR, 11-10 CBR, 11-11 POFQ, 5-12 POP, 11-12 CSR, 6-13 CBR, 11-13 CBR, 6-13 POR
cheerforchelsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: