Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
SCmom3
Mouseketeer

avoiding sun exposure

We'll be traveling to Disney World in May with our three children. Our youngest will have skin grafts that will be healing and we've been told to keep them out of the sun. Since they are on his hand, we can't really cover them with clothing. He'll be riding in the stroller which should keep him shaded plenty. I'm trying to figure out which rides and attractions are sunny, especially the queue areas. I'd appreciate any tips you could give me for keeping the sun off a 14 month old's hand as well. I was thinking of making him a mitten type sleeve from a rash guard shirt but I don't know if he'l wear it.
SCmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

You should discuss this with your doctor. Sun is reflective and even a stroller isn't much protection regardless of the canopy. If the grafts aren't all the way doen his fingers, maybe a lightweight cotton glove with the fingertips cut off would provide some protection.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

I agree with PP that some type of glove or mitten will be the best way to limit sun exposure on his hands. The sun shines from different angles throughout the day, and there is simply no possible way to avoid it at WDW without wearing protective clothing.

Most rides are inside, though not all, and there is a lot of open space moving around the park from one attraction to another. Some lines are shaded, or partially shaded; the stroller canopy will help. I've seen some "oversized" stroller canopies that fit over the standard one, providing additional coverage.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Definitely ask his doctor. I'd seriously think about looking outside the box, when it came to the hours I'd be in the parks. Maybe not even get there til after 4 or 5? Our younger dd is still in a stroller, and there is just a lot of open space when you're trying to get from one place to another.

I wonder if there's such a thing as a medical grade zinc oxide? Then cover it with lightweight gloves?
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Bete
DIS Veteran

you may be able to create a bandage of sorts with guaze. There are some products out there that stick to itself when wrapping a wound. Maybe, even a regular band aid might work depending on the size and location.

A light blanket might work if you can convince the child to keep the hand covered up in it.

Maybe, a combination of mittens and guaze at the end of the mitten to prevent taking it off.

I, too, agree that your doctor may be your best bet to find out what would work the best. There may be medical lotions that would shield it. Maybe, a strong suntan lotion would work.

I know you should be looking at him often to make sure he's not taking whatever off.

Also, you may have to leave when the sun is out if all else fails.

Last edited by Bete; 04-16-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
123LuckyMom
Mouseketeer

Rides like Dumbo, Magic Carpets, the race cars (can't remember the ride name right now), Kali River Rapids, Thunder Mountain Railroad are unshaded. Most rides are shaded even if they're open to the air (like teacups, Jungle Cruise, or the safari ride). Still, for something as important as a skin graft, I would fashion a covering with long sleeved gloves. You never know whether the sun will be at an angle to rest on his hand. Also, you may want to see parades or meet characters, and your son will want to get out of the stroller. I would have a talk with your son and make wearing a glove a non-negotiable.
123LuckyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmom3 View Post
We'll be traveling to Disney World in May with our three children. Our youngest will have skin grafts that will be healing and we've been told to keep them out of the sun. Since they are on his hand, we can't really cover them with clothing. He'll be riding in the stroller which should keep him shaded plenty. I'm trying to figure out which rides and attractions are sunny, especially the queue areas. I'd appreciate any tips you could give me for keeping the sun off a 14 month old's hand as well. I was thinking of making him a mitten type sleeve from a rash guard shirt but I don't know if he'l wear it.
Most queue lines are actually shaded now so the lines won't really be a problem but if remaining in the stroller helps then then you should get a stroller as a wheelchair GAC which will allow him to remain in his stroller throughout the regular line.

Greater exposure will come from the actual times between lines and there is not much you can do about that. I'm not sure if you've been to florida in May but the sun is bright and strong. There is very little shade in the parks as you're walking and a stroller alone won't keep the sun off him.
CR: July/Aug 2003
CSR: July 2009 (split SOG)
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009, June 2011, Aug 2012
ASMo: May 2014

Last edited by SueM in MN; 03-18-2013 at 09:02 PM.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I suppose postponing the trip until his hands have healed is not an option?

I cannot imagine trying to keep a covering on a toddler's hands.

OP, good luck!
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
DOREEN1779
Mouseketeer

I do not know how small they make them....They make runner's shirts that cover the hands and leave the fingers exposed. They are very comfortable and are secured by a hole through the thumb. You can always wrap the rest of the fingers with a light gauze if neccessary.
DOREEN1779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

What about baseball gloves & cut the finger tips off.

I am not sure if there are water gloves (not sure what scuba divers wear if anything) but this way they will can get wet if he is swimming.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

also, the other problem is that in May it can get very very hot in Disney. I can't imagine a sweaty toddler, confined to a stroller, with no way to cool off - in the pool, sprinklers, etc.
CR: July/Aug 2003
CSR: July 2009 (split SOG)
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009, June 2011, Aug 2012
ASMo: May 2014
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
EpcotQueen
Mouseketeer

When I was an Emergency Dept nurse we used to use a mesh called stockinet dressing on body areas like hands. Came in smaller sizes. Might work. Need to be clever with it and I suggest taking the dressing up to shoulder. Begin using well in advance of going to Disney to get him used to it. If he's had grafts he should be used to some sort of bandage on his hands.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
G719
Mouseketeer

I saw a product in the one step ahead catalog called sun sleeves. I got on their website and it unfortunately says sold out but maybe you could call the company or search more online. Here is the product on their website:
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...ves/_/R-538261
Too bad it isn't available. It looks like exactly what you need but maybe you will have luck finding something similar.

ETA: found another:
http://www.coolibar.com/product/Boys...=sun%20sleeves

Last edited by G719; 03-18-2013 at 08:12 PM.
G719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmom3 View Post
South Carolina sun is not much different than Florida sun, so anything you are doing at home to prevent sun exposure will also work for Florida.

If you plan to try rash guard shirts with mitten sleeves, I would try them now, so he has a chance to get used to them. If he's OK with them, the rash guard shirts may work better than gloves because they would be harder to get off.

I agree with the recommendation to talk to your child's doctor for one further suggestions. If they did not give you any specific guidelines, this page has some good suggestions for sun protection for grafted skin:
http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/...944263497.html

If the grafts are less than 6 weeks old, I would strongly, strongly consider rescheduling. The skin is most fragile then and some of the things you could do later, when the skin is less fragile, might not be OK before 6 weeks.
Even after 6 weeks, I would strongly consider waiting. It's just to hard to keep a 14 month old's hands out of the sun. And if your doctor said to avoid sun, going on a trip that includes many hours of potential sun exposure would not be good for the grafted skin.

A 14 month old is a hard age - they don't understand what you need them to do and most would be quite interested in pulling anything off that you put on to cover the hand - mittens or gloves could get hot and sweaty, which is not good for new skin. Bandages would be a choking hazard if he gets them off.
And, most 14 month olds are still mouthing things - which would mean you would really have to watch to prevent him from wearing off sunscreen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5ward View Post
You should discuss this with your doctor. Sun is reflective and even a stroller isn't much protection regardless of the canopy. If the grafts aren't all the way doen his fingers, maybe a lightweight cotton glove with the fingertips cut off would provide some protection.
The old common sense advice of staying out of the sun between 10am and 2pm when the sun is strongest will help some. You will need to still be aware of the sun angle and whether the canopy on the stroller is actually keeping the sun off his hands or not.

One poster mentioned extra sun shades and I did find a lot by doing a search for stroller SPF sunshade. Those would be worth looking into, but still may not prevent all sun exposure to his hands. Again, you will need to have someone watching the sun angle as you walk along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
Rides like Dumbo, Magic Carpets, the race cars (can't remember the ride name right now), Kali River Rapids, Thunder Mountain Railroad are unshaded. Most rides are shaded even if they're open to the air (like teacups, Jungle Cruise, or the safari ride). Still, for something as important as a skin graft, I would fashion a covering with long sleeved gloves. You never know whether the sun will be at an angle to rest on his hand. Also, you may want to see parades or meet characters, and your son will want to get out of the stroller. I would have a talk with your son and make wearing a glove a non-negotiable.
The issue is not really going to be the lines,it will be more the actual getting from place to place and sun exposure while riding.
Dumbo now has an indoor line, but while riding, guests are in the sun.

The Magic Carpet line is roofed, but while riding the carpets, you are in the sun.

The Tomorrowland Speedway line is partially shaded, but the ride is in the sun. That has a 32 inch height, so he may be too short.

He will be too short for Kali River Rapids and Thunder Mountain Railroad, but both of thm have lines that are mostly shaded or roofed anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
also, the other problem is that in May it can get very very hot in Disney. I can't imagine a sweaty toddler, confined to a stroller, with no way to cool off - in the pool, sprinklers, etc.
Yes - it can get very hot and the child will see other kids in the water play areas, where he can't go.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 03-18-2013 at 09:19 PM.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
SCmom3
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone for your help. I just looked at the sunsmarties and they are almost perfect I sew, so I think I can make him a modified version that will cover the affected area.
To clarify, his surgery which necessitated the skin graft was planned long before this trip was booked. We double checked with his surgeon to insure that he would be in the clear to travel to Florida. His surgery will have been 2 months prior to the trip and according to the doctor, he will be fine to swim or play in splash pad areas.
He's not barred from all sun exposure but I do want to minimize it as much as possible. Our whole family is pretty pale so we are very careful about sun exposure/sun block/etc.
SCmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: