Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #31
Siliobear
Mouseketeer

Last year my DS were 17 and 23. They found others their age (literally less than a dozen) and made their own party at night, whether hanging at the club or playing cards in the stairwell. That was the 7-day Mexico cruise. Next month we're on the 3-night Bahamas. May be too short to make friends. Even for me, I found the lounges to be a snooze, and I'm the mom!
Siliobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #32
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

We got off the Fantasy March 9 th . We went to the adult night club The Tube every night for the adult shows and stayed until closing for some late night dancing . We did find about 80% of the people left after the shows . One night we basically had the bartenders to ourselves & we really had a great time with them & yes they even danced with us . I had to stay out until closing as my son wouldn't leave Vibe until it closed & I didn't want to go to my room with the chance of falling asleep & him for some reason not come back to the room !
We met some fantastic people on the cruise & have become friends with 2 couples & we are all booking again next March ...
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #33
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!

It's not for their lack of trying, really. Disney has the clubs open, but people tend to not go, usually for child care reasons. The Carnival cruise I went on had more of a nightlife, with a real piano bar and club. You just done have a ton of that young, club crowd going on Disney because, let me say it, it's expensive (for one thing), and it is geared for more of a family experience. I think the main reason is price. My Carnival cruise was about half the cost of a Disney cruise, with a balcony room to boot. Not too many young people (I'm 29 and getting married in Oct), can afford a Disney cruise.

I know Disney tries to offer an experience for all ages and types of people, but those with children can't really make it. They don't offer a 'parents night out' in the kids club (one night, at least, kids clubs stay open as late as adult or teen clubs), but they should. That might help with the nightlife.

Sadly, I may have outgrown staying out late, but I'm hoping for a night or two on my DCL honeymoon where we can have fun like we used to.

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)

Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

To the OP--- I am Disney obsessed (from age 16 on, APs at DLR, DLR after school), but at 20 & 21 my friends and I were definitely not partying on a Disney cruise. I think your opinion (and energy level) will change after you have kids. At 22, I thought Maui was so boring (no clubs)...and now it's perfect for a family vacation (yay, no clubs!).

As to the nightclubs--my husband and I tried staying "late" one night. We were dancing in our seats sort of, since no one was on the dance floor (I am way past my clubbing days). The back up dancers they have at the shows were there to lead people to the dance floor.

So I'll say that they try, but the demographic is just too tired to do it.

I agree with you about the physical lounge spaces, though. Beautiful..and a waste unless there's a good party in there. We were surprised that the DJ was actually pretty good when it got late. They stopped playing top 40s and actually played some good mixes (surprisingly).
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #35
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Op. after 11 cruise, Nd 12,13,&14 coming up. I could not agree more. I am 38 I am a night owl, and my wife is a early to bed woman and we do not have kids. Now I do not dance and the is not enough alcohol in this world to get out on a dance floor, but I will say this. I have met some really awesome people in the club who do stay out late. I can fairly say I have made some really good friends and we have since cruised together on a few occasions. Tome that's one of the upsides of a dead bar, the people who do stay till they close at 2 are mostly the same people every night. Boy I can tell you some stories of shot nights. Ha ha ha ha.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #36
dsnygrl2003
villain fan

I totally agree about the lack of night life too The sad part is the kids clubs on the Disney ships are open for free way later than they are on other ships like Carnival but there is very little to do if you are not a drinker and don't like to sit in a club listening to loud music. I would love to see Disney add some comedy club shows for adults at night.
dsnygrl2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #37
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

ITA.

We just got off the same 3 day cruise as well. My kids are old enough that I feel comfortable leaving them in the kids club/cabin for the night. We travelled with friends who have a 4 yr old and a 7 yr old. Surprisingly, they were in a party mood (on our RCCL cruise last year, they crashed when their kids did) and decided to leave their kids sleeping with my DD in charge (connecting cabins).

On the first night, I hung out in Evolution from 11:30 - 12am waiting for them to put their kiddos to sleep. The Evolution dancers did their best and it was nice that they danced with the guests and got some energy going. By 11:45 or so, they left and the dance floor died down. I really wish the DCL dancers continued dancing in Evolution until at least 12:30am every night. That would help a LOT. It's very intimidating when the floor is empty.

I returned with my friends at 12:15am or so and there were 2 couples on the floor. My friends couldn't get in the mood so we left. Decided to go get some food. As most of you know, there is NO FOOD anywhere on the ship after midnight! Sadly, with all my planning and time on the Dis, I missed out on that fact. I thought surely there had to be SOMETHING.

We ended up ordering room service from an elevator phone, hung out for half an hour in Cove and then headed back to our verandah to get our food from room service at 1:30am. It was funny and a bit sad as we didn't want to be in our rooms so we could let our kids sleep in peace. It's a sore point for us now that there is such limited availability for food.

2nd night was Pirate Night and that was fun dancing on deck. We were on Deck 12 hanging over the balcony and made our own dance floor and had a blast. We didn't go to Evolution because we were all tired.

On the last night, my friends were pooped and hit the sack. DH and I went out at about 11:45ish to Evolution. There was still energy with about 6 or 7 people on the dance floor and some Evolution dancers. We danced for about 4-5 songs and it was fun. Then the DJ changed the style of music. Pretty much immediately about 5-6 people left the floor. My DH and I followed shortly afterwards because he doesn't like the style. That left one couple. After 1 song, they too left the floor. 3 full songs later (in the same style), the club was pretty much empty as all the folks who were dancing all left. My DH and I hung out waiting hoping the DJ would get a clue...but since he didn't, we too left. We ended up on top deck and watched the end of Enchanted before hitting the sack.

I was on the RCCL Liberty of the Seas last March and while the dance club wasn't packed solid, it was still lively at least until 1am. Plus there was food 24 hrs and the main strip stayed populated late into the night. (I wandered the ship until 2-3am every night)
Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #38
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

I do think this is not Disney's best area, but at the same time, can't fault them for it because it really isn't what their main demo is looking for, lol. My DD will be waking up by 7am wanting breakfast and to head to the kids club. Staying out until the wee hours isn't an option! A nice after-dinner drink and some piano, bed by 11 is pretty much as party-hardy as I can get these days!
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #39
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

We sailed on RCL Voyager of the Seas last Christmas and were out every night ("Adult Daycare" -not-so clean karaoke-, multiple dance clubs.). We are in our 40's and had a blast. Our kids are old enough to crash in the cabin and we enjoyed late-night food, dancing and entertainment. We traveled with another family. On the Dream it was just us and our kids were younger. We went to Skyline and a dance club one time and it was fun, but kids wanted to leave the clubs (didn't love them). I am hoping that this summer's Fantasy cruise does have some fun adult entertainment. We are again traveling with the other family and now I am worried they will be disappointed if it isn't as fun as RCL.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #40
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceFamily View Post
Yes, there should be more nightlife. Unfortunately for us, on our first cruise, we were young parents so needed to have our kids in bed. And once they are in bed, we are kind of stuck in our cabin twiddling our thumbs. I would LOVE to dance the night away like old times, but can't unless we bring our babysitter with us...which we don't have the money to do.

Our next cruise, our girls will be 9 and 7 and I will still feel uncomfortable leaving them in the cabin asleep alone. I'm just afraid that once they are old enough to stay in cabin alone (teenage years), I will be too old and tired to dance the night away.

So...there may be people on the DCL cruise who want to party until the wee morning hours, but they just can't because kids can't be left alone. Believe me, I've tried talking my inlaws to join us on the cruise so I can try to get them to babysit late, but they refuse. Oh well.
My MIL was practically begging to go and I refused! LOL. I'll let her come next time, but just wanted my own vacation for once this time! It seems they are ALWAYS with us when we go on vacation.

DH and I enjoyed the match your mate and disco dancing on our cruise, there were several people at evolution when we went for these, not many of them were younger couples. We were just too exhausted to stay out late at the clubs and had to pick our kids up.
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #41
emeraldluvsbama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
When I was in my 20's I went on a couple of Carnival cruises and had a blast. Now that I'm older, raising kids and working a stressful job I choose Disney because of the great kids clubs. I really enjoy a nice relaxing vacation without my kids around 24/7. I also enjoy some quiet time with my Dh. I'm sure many of the people on the Disney ships are like me. I would consider midnight pretty late since I'm used to getting up at 430am. I would look at other cruise lines while your young. You can come back to Disney when you have kids, and you will understand why we are worn out by 11pm.
You just totally summed up my lifestyle right now also. I am also up at 4:30 with a stressful job and two very busy kids. I can't wait until April to enjoy some family time and some R&R with my hubby while the kids are enjoying the kids clubs!
emeraldluvsbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
ChrisCastig
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
i'd be curious to hear more about the karaoke. what song was it? did they turn it off while you were singing?
I only ask because there are numerous songs that play on the radio fine but if you hear them played off of the cd the words are not the same. I can name a cello song and an adam Levine song off the top of my head. wait, I can actually name a few more.....
anyways, would it be a song they would have expected you to sing the 'nice' words to?
very very curious.
The song was superman by Eminem. Maybe not the best choice, but some people had done some rap songs earlier in the night so I figured it would be ok. The DJ even laughed when I requested it. He must not have realized how bad it was lol.

I'm glad that other people share the same opinions as me. I can't stress enough how beautiful the ship was, but if I had to chose I would probably wait until after I have kids (A long time from now) to sail DCL.
ChrisCastig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #43
JillShari
Mouseketeer

I was on the same cruise....

I have a 3 and 7 year old and to stay up til 9 or 10 for them is stretching it. And to have them sleep, we have to go to sleep too.

On the first night, we had woken up at 5am to get to the airport to take the plane to the bus to the ship, so we were all pretty exhausted and crashed at 9. And the pirate night, we were also exhausted and fell asleep way before the fireworks. The last night, I was trying to get everyone to bed at a decent time so that the next day wasn't horrific while traveling with exhausted kids.

Honestly, I was a little bummed that I missed the fireworks... but I never expected to do any of the nightlife things because you can't leave your kids sleeping alone in your room. It is really unsafe. And it seems that dealing with your kids on vacation with them getting less sleep than normal and being so busy is exhausting.

So, I think Disney had it right for us... there is no way we can party the night away. Even if the kids club was open, our kids needed to be in their beds.

When we were younger we traveled Carnival and RCL and they had TONS of nightlife when I wasn't this exhausted with two kids!h
JillShari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #44
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCastig View Post
The song was superman by Eminem. Maybe not the best choice, but some people had done some rap songs earlier in the night so I figured it would be ok. The DJ even laughed when I requested it. He must not have realized how bad it was lol.

I'm glad that other people share the same opinions as me. I can't stress enough how beautiful the ship was, but if I had to chose I would probably wait until after I have kids (A long time from now) to sail DCL.
ouch!! i love some eminem but superman?? to be honest, and don't judge me, if i would have been in the room when that started to play i would have left. its way bad imo. i'm actually surprised they would even have it.
sorry it didn't work out. don't let that stop you from going again. maybe with a group of friends who want to do some pub crawling with you. it could be fun.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #45
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
To the OP--- I am Disney obsessed (from age 16 on, APs at DLR, DLR after school), but at 20 & 21 my friends and I were definitely not partying on a Disney cruise. I think your opinion (and energy level) will change after you have kids. At 22, I thought Maui was so boring (no clubs)...and now it's perfect for a family vacation (yay, no clubs!).
Exactly.

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: