Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
FireflyTrance
Mouseketeer

Best resort for 1 year old?

So my family is planning a WDW trip for early next year when my daughter will be 1 - 1 1/2. What resort do you think would be best for a 1 year old? I think considerations would be ease of transportation to resorts and maybe some play structure or other outdoor area she could play at. I think POLY and GF are out of our budget but beside those which do you think would be best? We could also possibly do a split stay between two resorts.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
DisneyMom21
Earning My Ears

WL is a good option. We went in April with DD 2 1/2 & DD 1 and ease of transportation was important to us as well. We liked that it was a Deluxe, but a better value. It is not on the monorail but we loved that we could roll our double stroller right onto the boat to Magic Kingdom without having to fold it. From MK we could hop on the monorail to Epcot, or to dinner at O'Hana, breakfast at Chef mickey's etc. I think WL is the best deluxe value. We loved the feel of WL, and everything being under one roof. We look forward to going back!
DisneyMom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
mulberrybush
Mouseketeer

We took our 1yo to CR and it was great. At that age, she liked the splash pad even without the bright colors of other resorts. The monorail is nice with strollers (bc they don't have to collapse) and fast for going To the room for naps. She slept at nap and night well without distracting colors/art in the room. Fun in the parks but sterile in the room. We liked that for that age.
mulberrybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I think the WL would be a great choice. It's not on the monorail, but it is convenient to MK via boat (or bus). It's also convenient to the CR where you can visit and then hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. I agree with the pp that the WL is a great deluxe resort for the price.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
FireflyTrance
Mouseketeer

I was thinking of CR, I don't personally like the theme there as much as other resorts but I do like that it is on the monorail.

I've never been to WL so I'll have to look into it, but the boat does sound convienient. Are there any outdoor areas that you think a small child would enjoy?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

blt (at the CR) has a splash fountain that kids seem to like - no playground

wl/vwl has a play thing -
for play area - although these are more for older ages - all the moderates and value has a play area.

okw has a sand playground - plus at every pool a play area
think SSR does too

bwv has a play area near the main pool.

first you need to decide which park most of your days will be spend in - if Magic Kingdom and Epcot - then monorail hotel would be great

however if you think it might be Epcot and Hollywood Studios - then one of the Epcot resorts would be better - BWV - you can boat or walk to those parks.

now if AK is your favorite theme park - it is bus transportation only - so staying at a monorail or boat type resort - probably is not the best use of your money.

so first decide which park will you spend the majority of your time at.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyTrance View Post
I was thinking of CR, I don't personally like the theme there as much as other resorts but I do like that it is on the monorail.

I've never been to WL so I'll have to look into it, but the boat does sound convienient. Are there any outdoor areas that you think a small child would enjoy?
WL has a wading pool and a beach to play on.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

I would look at renting point for BLT. A one bedroom has a washer dryer which is great with a one year old. You can also walk to MK which is great.
Renting points will be much cheaper than rack rates.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
FireflyTrance
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the input I don't understand how the renting points work but I will try looking into that as well.

The resort I most want to stay at personally is AKL but I know it can take a long time to get to the parks on the bus, and I think we might have to go back to the resort in the middle of the day for a nap. We wont be renting a car. We probably will spend the most time at Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

The lobby area in WL would fun for a one year old....lots to see...a little bridge to run and back and forth over the wishing well type stream(that eventually leads outside to the pool).
The playground structure was nothing spectacular but we have an older child. You could probably find a picture of the playground. There is a beach to play on, a nature trail to Fort Wilderness, a very shallow kiddie pool and the boat is very fun. Plus it's convenient to Magic Kingdom.
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

not sure if this link will work but here's a link to the playground on the beach at Wilderness Lodge....

http://www.*********************.com...ground_JPG.htm
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
FireflyTrance
Mouseketeer

Thanks I do like the location and theme of WL so it definitely a possibility. We would prefer the resort to be under $300 a night, and it looks like WL is in value season We will most likely be going in Jan or Feb.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
dp911
Mouseketeer

Yc BC bwi
dp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

Not a resort suggestion but since your baby will probably be sleeping in a pack and play get them used to it. We learned this with grandkids. My DD's first time with grandson he was 1.5 and he was not used to it. He cried late into the night. At home he was an awesome sleeper in his crib. With my DGD, I took care of her while my daughter worked and beginning a month before trip I'd place her in her pack and play for naps and daughter would put her in it a few nights a week. She never had a problem sleeping at night. We started taking her when she was 5 months old. She changed how I felt about taking babies to Disney. We did TS every night and just as food was arriving she fell asleep, it was wonderful.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

As someone who did it at 13 months and 17 months, I really don't think it matters.

A monorail resort would be ideal, but if you can't do it, don't sweat it. The monorails can be crazy overcrowded. All of the resorts have some sort of playground.

My trip reports are in my signature in case you want more tips.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: