Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #16
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthshh View Post
Maybe I will look into classes to learn to sew. My sister doesn't live near me so she won't be able to teach me.

What would you suggest as a beginner sewing maching?
My favorite machines are Babylocks but they are very expensive. I like them because they are very easy to use and things don't often go wrong with them. That is what we used at the HS I taught at. However, if you are not sure about how much you will sew and don't want to make such a large investment, Brother machines are also made by the same company and have very similar features. So a basic brother would be an excellent starter. I recommend purchasing through a local sewing shop (not wal-mart, or joanns). I say this because although the machine will be cheaper through a chain store, sewing shops often include lessons on the machine in the price. They also usually have people on site that can service the machine and will give you a discount if they purchased there. So, in the long run it will actually save you money. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am always happy to help I love that people are getting into sewing again. For awhile I felt like I was the only person left who still knew how to sew!

New PTR: Only 615 Days and Counting!!!
Previous trip report: This is Literally the Best Trip Ever!

Jackiemarie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #17
kthshh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemarie21 View Post

My favorite machines are Babylocks but they are very expensive. I like them because they are very easy to use and things don't often go wrong with them. That is what we used at the HS I taught at. However, if you are not sure about how much you will sew and don't want to make such a large investment, Brother machines are also made by the same company and have very similar features. So a basic brother would be an excellent starter. I recommend purchasing through a local sewing shop (not wal-mart, or joanns). I say this because although the machine will be cheaper through a chain store, sewing shops often include lessons on the machine in the price. They also usually have people on site that can service the machine and will give you a discount if they purchased there. So, in the long run it will actually save you money. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am always happy to help I love that people are getting into sewing again. For awhile I felt like I was the only person left who still knew how to sew!
Thanks for the info on the sewing machines. I'm going to check them out.

Can't wait to read your next update.
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #18
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Hi

I am reading along and enjoying your plans.

Your DD is just too cute and I love that she is not scared and enjoys movies like Alice in Wonderland. That is just adorable.

Relly and Doggie! I love it.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAnnie View Post
Hi

I am reading along and enjoying your plans.

Your DD is just too cute and I love that she is not scared and enjoys movies like Alice in Wonderland. That is just adorable.

Relly and Doggie! I love it.

Welcome!
Thank you! She is an individual for sure! Thanks for reading, glad to have you along.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Movie Night!

Last night we had A Bug's Life movie night, which was so much fun!

DD and I colored characters from the movie while we waited for DH to come home and hung them up.

Then we had dinner which was an indoor picnic! Thankfully the only bugs that came to our picnic were the plastic ones we purchased at the dollar tree. Our menu was KFC takeout, bug juice (green punch) to drink and dirt cups and ladybugs (strawberries decorated with chocolate) for dessert.

After dinner, we watched the movie.

Charlotte had a ladybug dress to wear for the occasion! Its one of the summer dresses I made her, which happened to fit with our theme!
I have always loved this movie, DH who is not really a kiddie movie fan, said that he really liked this one. Charlotte liked it as well! Her favorite parts were when the big groups of ants would clap, she would be clapping along with them.
I know some people may think it is silly to do this kind of stuff for an almost 2 year old, but it is so fun for me! I know she will not remember each of these nights, but, hopefully they will add up to a memory of a happy childhood as a whole!
Next week's movie night is Peter Pan! I can't wait!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Another little Change

So, we were looking at some online dining reviews and menus and there are soooo many restaurants that we want to try! When we first started to plan this trip I asked DH which restaurants he wanted to eat at and he said CRT and Le Cellier. Both favorites from our last trip. I told him that they are both 2 table service credits now and that we would have to pick one or the other. He said CRT, because of the atmosphere, so when I made ADR's that is what I booked. Well, I keep thinking about that, and when I am thinking I start pricing and playing with reservations. When I priced out what we were paying for our oop meals it was only $150 more to upgrade to the deluxe dining plan. So I started thinking, if I upgraded, DH could get his beloved LC and a nice relaxed sit down breakfast each day. So for the $150 we would be able to get 4 more ADR, plus have 5 credits left over to use when we get there. So I upgraded us! We really like the sit down meals. We like the break from the heat and we like the fabulous dining experiences Disney offers. I was actually able to get a LC reservation at a good time for us, and so I started booking a few other reservations, mostly breakfasts for my breakie loving family! I did have to make a couple of changes to our plans I have already laid out. The first being that we needed to have park tickets on our last day which we not planning on, so I moved a few ADR's around so day 3 would no longer need a park ticket and we will be visitng a park on our last day before we go to the airport(you will find out more about that later!) Also, I will be changing one of DD's outfits.
So the changes are:
Day 1- still the same!
Day 2- Breakfast Tusker House- this one is new
Dinner- CRT (this was on day 3)
Day 3- Breakfast- 1900 Park Fare
Dinner- Chef Mickey's (this was on day 2)

Now DD will be wearing this to 1900:

She will be wearing the Winnie the Pooh dress to a different engagement, foreshadowing...maybe?

Old 04-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #22
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Day 4

Alrighty, lets talk about day 4!
Day 4 will be a full Epcot day. DH LOVES Epcot. His favorite ride in all of Disney is Test Track, and he really likes how educational this park can be. However, the real reason he loves it is in WS, he loves beer and trying beer from different countries. He also likes checking out the shops and different samplings of culture each country offers. So this is "his" day.
We are planning to start off with a slow morning as usual and head to the park when we get ready. I hope to be out the door by 9:00 am. We will most likely eat a small breakfast on our way out, but nothing too big because we have an important lunch ADR!
Once we get to Epcot we will check out the rides on our must do list, Sorin and Test Track. We will either ride them or get fast passes. Depending on the wait times. We will then head through the International Gateway to Canada for our ADR at LC. We made this ADR after deciding this week that we would go with the DxDDP. DH is super excited and I am happy it worked out for him.
DD will be wearing this for the occasion:

DD was not feeling a fashion show that day and would not wear the bow.
After our delicious lunch we will walk around WS a bit until DD is ready for a rest. We will then head back to our resort to rest. I feel like this might be a good time to add that DD requires a daily nap. She is in her best moods when she has 12 hours of sleep at night and a 1-3 hour nap during the day. Nap time is usually between 1 and 2 and that is a routine we stick to on vacation as well. When she has the sleep she requires she goes along really well with the flow. I also like some downtime in the afternoon as well. We tend to be night people so a rest and some A/C helps keep us going for the evening fun!
So, after our rest we will get ready to head back to Epcot. We will walk around future world and bit and then head back to WS for our ADR at Akershus. We have never had a meal here before and to be honest I always kind of over-looked it. The menu just never seemed appealing to me so I never even suggested it. When discussing our ADR's this time DH wanted to know if there were any other Princess dinners besides just CRT and I told him about Akershus. He said he wanted to do that one as well. He thinks it will be so cute to see DD with the Princesses. So, we are doing that as well. Charlotte's outfit is a little up in the air here. I made her this dress to wear:

Never mind the fact that she would not let me fix her hair and it was in her face (I hate that!) I am just not happy with this dress. It dress turned out a little big (its the same size and pattern maker as Cinderella) and DD hates wearing it for some reason. I have no idea? It is made out of the same soft cotton as the Cinderella dress. I am going to hem it so it is easier to walk in and we will take it with us but I have a back up in case she still seems to hate this dress. But, here is the back up:

Just a simple Little Mermaid tee shirt to wear with shorts. We'll just see how she feels that day. I would love to have her picture with Belle in a Belle dress, but I will not push her into wearing it!
After dinner we are going to let DH be our guide, but the night will defiantly end with me getting a grey goose slush (I haven't tried one yet!) and DH getting a beer and watching illuminations. This day's plans are much more relaxed because we are letting DH take the lead. He is not as much of a planner as I am. However, I am not worried if we don't get everything done today, because we will be back!
I will be back soon with day 5, and it will be back to my style of planning!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
kthshh
Mouseketeer

I love all the new dresses. Especially the ladybug one. Really cute!

I would love to book the DxDDP for one of our trips. I'm a huge fan of breakfast like your husband and daughter. But my family doesn't exactly like to wake up for it. Then when they do wake up, I feel like we need to rush to get on with our day. This trip we only have one breakfast planned at the one that I believe you foreshadowed to. I sold it as getting in the park early. Of course they will go along with what I have planned, but I try to take everyone's feelings into consideration.

Epcot is my favorite park. I love everything about it.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthshh View Post
I love all the new dresses. Especially the ladybug one. Really cute!

I would love to book the DxDDP for one of our trips. I'm a huge fan of breakfast like your husband and daughter. But my family doesn't exactly like to wake up for it. Then when they do wake up, I feel like we need to rush to get on with our day. This trip we only have one breakfast planned at the one that I believe you foreshadowed to. I sold it as getting in the park early. Of course they will go along with what I have planned, but I try to take everyone's feelings into consideration.

Epcot is my favorite park. I love everything about it.
Thank you! I totally understand. I too have found that it is much easier to do what everyone is comfortable with. We have not done Disney yet with DD, but we have done other trips. I found that trying to force her into my routine just backfired on me. So as much as I will be itching to get to the parks, I will have to take things more leisurely like DD and DH like to do. That way I save myself from having to deal with meltdowns later.
I have always wanted to do the DxDDP and I think this time it will be for the best. We will need the breaks to get out of the heat. Plus since DD is not 3 yet we don't have to pay for her and she can share off of our plates, so this way we can share some of our large portions!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

More ADR Changes!

So, I am really keeping with the can't make up our minds theme! I don't want to disappoint in case that is what made you start reading this. I have been messing with our ADR's once again
So here is what we have now:

Day 1: Stays the same arrive and 'Ohanna for dinner
Day 2: Yak and Yeti Lunch(New) and CRT dinner
Day 3: Stays the same 1900 Breakfast and CM dinner
Day 4: Le Cellier lunch and Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner (New)

Actually playing with ADR's is always a hobby of mine while I am planning a WDW trip. In fact it becomes an obsession of mine. I would love to say that this is how they will stay, but lets be honest I will probably change my mind again. Even though right now I feel like I have a pretty perfect plan!

Okay, so let me tell you why I made these changes. When we changed our dining plan I made a Tusker House ADR. We went there on a previous trip and liked it a lot! But, I really really wanted to try Yak and Yeti TS. I have seen TR's with pictures of the food and it looks fantastic! I know my family will really like it as well. I can not really explain my DD. She would not touch a hamburger or hotdog, the only "kid" food she likes is chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. But, she will eat lots of foods other kids wouldn't touch, clam chowder, shrimp any way you make it, just about any type of fish prepared any way, any kind of veggie, rice, are among her favorites. I think its because we never really did baby food and I always gave her what we eat. But what ever the reason she will be fine with the menu at Yak and Yeti. Sorry, I got off topic a little there! So we will be doing lunch on day 2 at Y&Y. After lunch we will head back to our resort and rest and then we will go to CRT for dinner.

On day 3 we will have breakfast at 1900 and then dinner at CM. I mentioned before I had to free up one day of park tickets for our last day ADR so this has not changed any more!

Day 4 is where the big change happened. We will still do the lunch LC ADR and Charlotte will still be wearing her polka dot dress, but that night has totally changed! We decided to do the Hoop-De-Doo! I am so excited about this! I really want to make the best use of the DxDDP we can, but I think that 2 TS meals a day is plenty of food. We may need a QS here and there but I still think we would have a few credits left over. So, I started thinking about the different 2 credit meals out there. I really did not want to do another fancy meal where DD had to be on her best behavior the whole time, and so it came to me lets do the Hoop-Dee-Doo! I have always wanted to try it! DH went with his family on their only trip to WDW when he was a kid and they all loved it, so he was on board. I have a feeling DD will really enjoy it as well. She LOVES music and dancing, so that will keep her entertained. We went to the Dixie Stampede(another dinner show) the last time we were in Branson and she loved it! We had a fantastic time, so I think this will be great. She can sing and dance a little and won't necessary have to sit still the whole time, so it will be a nice break for her. DH also loves beer with dinner and since that is included in the show it will be an even better value for us! He can drink several with out worrying about the high prices at Disney. Plus, the food looks pretty good. So, overall I am super excited about this! I also got a great idea for a cute outfit for DD to wear to this dinner and I hope to start working on that next week. I will post pics as soon as its done! Originally, we had planned to do Akershus this night, and I did not want to totally do away with the that, so we will be doing that later in the week. I will be back soon with more posts. We have a movie night tonight, and the rest of our day by day plan!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #26
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Day 5

Day 5 is going to be another laid back kind of day. I have been to WDW 5 times and can you believe I have never been to a resort pool? We seriously never take the time to swim. This time DH said can we please swim? He is so good about letting me do my thing, so I can't say no to that request. So on to day 5! We are planning on night 4 being late night since we will be going to the Hoop Dee Doo, so, morning 5 will be a slow and easy one! We have an ADR at 'Ohanna for a late breakfast. We love 'Ohana dinner and we are really looking forward to trying the breakfast! I wanted Charlotte to have a Lilo dress for this ADR but I wanted something she could wear more than once. So I decided on making this dress:
I wanted a flower for DD's hair to go with this dress, but I could not find the exact flower that I had in mind. Then, I happened to find this one on Etsy and it was a good price. I could not have made it for the price she was selling it for, so I purchased two. I decided to get one for myself too, because I occasionally wear flowers in my hair. I also made myself a skirt out of the same fabric as Charlotte's dress, so we will be kind of matchy, I think a little matchy can be cute. It can be cheesy too, but I like it and will do it also long as Charlotte lets me get away with it.

So, we will have breakfast with Lilo and Stitch. Then head back to our resort. Our main goal is to swim, and finally use a resort pool. After we get our fill of swimming we will take a nap and relax.
After a nice slow and relaxing day we will get cleaned up and walk over to the Magic Kingdom. We have an ADR that I am so excited about! We will be dining at Be Our Guest! From the pictures I have seen this restaurant looks absolutely beautiful! I think the menu looks promising as well. My DD loves Beauty and the Beast. It is by far the movie that holds her attention the most. She really likes the beast a lot, so I am hoping he still does appearances when we are there. I think she will really like seeing him. As far as DD's outfit, I am still working that out. I kind of wanted to do matching shirts as a family, so I may make them for the BoG night. Or I have one more princess dress idea that I may make. I still need to make up my mind, once I do I will add pics for sure! After dinner we will hit up any rides we haven't done yet and try and catch wishes in the park. When ever DD poops out we will head back to the resort and call it a day!

Follow along with me to the next post because last night we had a fun movie night I am going to tell you all about!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Movie night: Peter Pan

Last night we had a movie night and this week's feature was Peter Pan. This was my favorite as a kid so I was happy to share it with my own daughter! For decorations I made paper shadows of Peter, Windy, Michael, John and Tink. I also threw some Mardi Gras beads on the table (pirates treasure), our punch bowl full of ocean water (blue punch) served as a centerpiece. I also made paper Peter Pan hats for all three of us (which would not stay on anyone's heads so we did not wear them, we just used them as a table decoration. I defiantly did not go all out this time, but we still had good quality time together and that's the point. For dinner we had Hook's cod fish filets, Mr. Smee's slaw, Lost Boy fries and Tink's wands for dessert. I coated pretzel rods in white chocolate and then rolled them in pixie dust (colored sugar crystals) to make the wands. We just got take-out fish, fires and slaw. After dinner, we watched the movie. Charlotte really liked this one. I judge if she likes the movie or not by how long she sits still and she was still for a long time. We did not get around to coloring this time, but we still had lots of fun!
Here are some pics:
Our table scape

The paper shadows

Attempts at wearing the hats:

Blurry, but DH tired to go along with me!
Our movie next week: The Little Mermaid! I am so excited about this one! DD has not seen it yet and it really reminds me of my childhood!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

I really Can't Make Up my Mind!

Well I have continued to make changes to this trip to the point that it almost not even close to the original plan!
Some might find this behavior obsessive, or over the top. People in the 'real' world would claim that I spending way too much time on a simple vacation. However, I am hoping that here, on this dis, I am understood and in the "norm" with my changes! I blame my indecision on reading trip reports here. I see these awesome pictures of food and it makes me want to try that restaurant, its so hard to decide! First world problems, right? All of our other trips I made our ADR's at 180 days and never touched them again. My DH asked why this trip is so different, I told him, I have never belonged to the Dis before so I am now "educated" on Disney travel. He just laughed at me and said "well I know we will have a wonderful trip because of your efforts". At least he appreciates all this right?

Anyway so instead of filling you in on the rest of our plans day by day I thought I would just go through the whole week, my updates in the future will include our weekly movie nights, and other trip planning items.

Okay so for a reference here was our original plans:
Thursday July 25:
Arrival day/ 'Ohanna dinner
Friday July 26:
QS Breakfast at Resort,
AM Park: AK QS lunch Flame Tree BBQ
Dinner: Chef Mickey's
PM Park: MK
Saturday July 27:
MK all Day
Breakfast1900 Park Fare
Dinner CRT
Sunday July 28:
Epcot all day
Breakfast and Lunch: Undetermined QS
Dinner: Akershus
Monday July 29:
The only day that Stayed the same!
Rest Day, After Dinner: MK
Breakfast: 'Ohanna
Dinner: Be Our Guest
Tuesday July 30:
Day: HS
Breakfast: Hollywood and Vine
Evening: Epoct
Dinner: The Garden Grill
Wednesday July 31:
MK all day
Breakfast and Lunch: Undetermined QS
Dinner: 'Ohanna
Thursday Aug. 1:
Departure day
Pack, hang out at DTD until time to meet :ME
Okay so that was the original plan, the new plan is very different! But I am even more excited about it!

New Plan:

July 25:

Will stay the same, arrive and 'Ohanna dinner
July 26:
AM Park: AK
Lunch Yak and Yeti
PM Park: Epcot
Dinner: Le Cellier
July 27:
Epcot all day
Lunch: Akershus
Dinner: Garden Grill
July 28:
Breakfast: Chef Mickey's
Day: DTD
Dinner: Hoop Dee Doo
July 29:
Rest Day:
Breakfast: 'Ohanna
Dinner: Be Our Guest
July 30:
HS All Day!
Breakfast: Hollywood and Vine
Dinner: Hollywood Brown Derby
July 31:
MK all Day!
Breakfast: CRT
Dinner: 'Ohanna
Aug. 1:
MK until we meet ME
Lunch: Liberty Tree tavern

I will be back with more Charlotte outfits and more explanation as to why I made some of these choices. But I just wanted to keep you all updated! Also, I have last week's movie night to update as well. It was fun! I will be back soon!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #29
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Movie Night The Little Mermaid

Last Friday 4/16 we had our Little Mermaid movie night. I was so excited to share this movie with Charlotte for the first time, it is my favorite Disney movie. I knew she would love it too. For dinner we had Aeriel's cheesy stuffed shells, seaweed (asparagus), Scuttle's salad, Triton's toast and ocean water punch to drink. For dessert we had Sebastian's "crab" cakes (cupcakes). This was a very enjoyable evening!
Here are some pictures:

DD and DH coloring while I made dinner.

Charlotte seemed to enjoy the movie, so it was a success!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #30
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Movie Night: Lilo and Stitch

This week's movie night was Lilo and Stitch. This was another movie night I was excited about! I love Lilo and Stitch, it is probably my second favorite Disney movie! As many times as I have seen I still cry at the end when Stitch realizes he is a part of a family, it is very heartwarming! Charlotte and I have watched it a few times while we are waiting for DH to come home from work, but we never did a movie night for this movie. We had a very special dinner planned for this one! We had and 'Ohanna style meal. I got the 'Ohanna recipes for the beef marinade and noodles from Allears.net, and I used the bread pudding recipe from my Disney cookbook. DH grilled the beef on skewers over a fire pit just like at 'Ohana (he had to do it in the garage since it was raining today). We also had stir fry broccoli and grilled pineapple. To drink we had ocean water (blue punch) I found lots of decorations from the dollar store so even though today was gloomy and rainy here in St. Louis, we had sunshine inside!

Here are some pictures from our fun night:

We like our ice cream on the side, I hate how much it melts when you put the sauce on it.
I put Charlotte in her dress that she is supposed to wear to 'Ohanna for breakfast on our trip. She had a jacket on when she was outside "helping" DH with the grill and refused to take her jacket off when she came inside so her tropical outfit was ruined with her spring jacket. Oh well! She had a good time anyway!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: