Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
skyekitty
Earning My Ears

Question Flying Fish or Yachtsman?

We are staying at the BW Villas and I'm trying to decide on a place to eat that we can walk to on our first night. We haven't eaten at any of the resorts at BW or BC/YC so I was thinking one of these two might be good to try. It seems like both have mixed reviews, so it is hard to decide! Any suggestions?
2005 Dec: off site
2007 Feb: Animal Kingdom Lodge
....babies....
2013 Sept: Boardwalk Villas (10th Anniversary trip!!!!)
skyekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

IMO if you are looking for a great steak. Yachtsmen all the way. I am not a seafood lover so FF doesn't appeal to me. I had an ok steak there a few years ago and DH liked it. But not enough to go back. We have been to YSh a bunch of times! We just returned from BWV. We love it there! We had the best room. Standard view facing the bus stop but we also could see a fountian and the water. And we were far enough away from the bus stop that we didnt hear them. We could see a lot of Illuminations, we couldnt hear it except for the fireworks! Lol. We have had BW view, partial BW view and pool view. This was by far our favorite room. Enjoy!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Just noticed you will be there in Sept. DS and DDIL will be there the 5-10.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

I think that is probably the main question you have to ask, do you want steak or seafood? Although, I have to say my dh really enjoyed the steak they have at FF but YSH specialty is steak.

FF has the best mussels in the entire world and their fish dishes are excellent, so it's a tough call. I have reviews on both of these restaurants (with photos) if you'd like to check them out. Just click on the link below and select Resorts under the main menu.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
grace&philipsmom
DIS Veteran

I think they both sound great. We are in WDW staying at BWV next week, and have ADRs at both - I'll let you know when we get back!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
shortchef
Mouseketeer

Another restaurant at Boardwalk is Kouzzina, one of my favorites. That's where I would go!!
shortchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Robert P
GLOBEX - taking over your world one country at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
I think that is probably the main question you have to ask, do you want steak or seafood? Although, I have to say my dh really enjoyed the steak they have at FF but YSH specialty is steak.

FF has the best mussels in the entire world and their fish dishes are excellent, so it's a tough call. I have reviews on both of these restaurants (with photos) if you'd like to check them out. Just click on the link below and select Resorts under the main menu.
I agree, that is the question. If you want steak, then Yachtsman. If not steak, then FF. We've done both, but FF has slipped down the list in recent years due to increased prices and smaller portions (namely the booze).
FF has an amazing cheese tray, and calamari for appetizers. Yachtsman has a great steak selection for entrees. I'd pick between the two based on what you want to eat for dinner.
01/04 - CBR, AKL: 9/04 - POP, BCV, POR: 10/04 - BCV, (offsite-Radisson-yuck!):
11/05 - Dolphin, BCV, BWV: 10/06 - BCV: 11/06 - Dolphin, BCV:
07/07 - Dolphin, (offsite-Sheraton Safari- AOK!) 11/07 - BCV, Dolphin:
04/08 - Dolphin, BWV: 08/08 - POP, WL: 10/08 - BCV, Swan:
09/09 - Dolphin, (offsite-Sheraton Safari): 11/09 - Swan, BCV 10/10 - Dolphin, BCV

Robert P's April 2008 Dining Reviews: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1791298
Robert P's Fall 2007 Dining Reviews: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1630586
Robert P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

RobertP has it the way I see it.

Now FF does have a great steak--but only one--a NY Strip. YSH has a lot more choices as to cut.

Should say we eat at FF every trip and between the 2, it's where I'd go.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Overall, I think Flying Fish is the better restaurant (and one of the top 4 on the dining plans).

I'd only pick Yachtsman if I was set on eating steak (and even then I might pick Flying Fish as their steak is excellent - but Yachtsman obviously has more steak entrees to choose from).
Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
psac
DIS Veteran

Between the two, I would definitely pick Flying Fish, even for steak. We like Yachtsman's, but even the steak at FF is fantastic and won't disappoint. We're staying at AKL our next trip, and we're taking a taxi over to the BW just to hit FF one night. On our November trip at the BW, we'll hit both. Either way, you should get a great meal.
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Both

Both are very good restaurants. While YSH is our favorite we also hit FF for a change. I'd just make the decision based on what you want to eat; meat = YSH, seafood = FF. That's what they specialize in although they each have at least one dish that crosses that line.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
annej

Mouseketeer

We just returned and had our first meal at the Yachtsman. I have to say we will not return. We knew it was Signature and expected great things and high costs but the experience was bad from the get go. The reviews had all been good but we might have hit a bad night but for the prices will probably never attempt to hit a good night. We were late seated - to the point that we waited 20 minutes in a line 2 parties deep to even get our pager - not sure the deal with that. Then we waited 30 minutes for pager to go off. The dining room was not full and they did not seat all the tables the entire time we were there - 2+ hours. Now for the food - not that good and at the prices we expected great. I had the filet and Dh had the strip. His was far from cooked right but it had taken so long to even get the food that we were afraid to send it back. We have had better steaks at half the price here at home. The desserts were oh hum. All in all, our worst meal of the trip. I kept wishing I had kept the FF reservation that we had and changed. It looked fun! to each their own, but we were so very underwhelmed with all aspects of the Yachtsman.
1972 - Day trip with mom and dad! 1983 - EPCOT was new! 1988 - 2 day trip 1989 - Day trip on Honeymoon! October 2000 - Off Site January 2003 - WL Nov/Dec 2005 - POR/Poly January 2007 - POLY March 2008 - CR Tower - MK View! September 2008 - offsite/GF!! Feb 2009 - WL !April 2009 - GF - MK View! Nov 2009 - Adult only trip - Poly MK View Jan 2010 - Poly CL - MK View: March 2011 - CR TPV! Jan 2012 - Poly CL! Nov 2012 - POR/BLT Lakeview March 2013 - BWI with DH! October 2013 - BWI with DD and DMom! January 2014 - WL with the Hubby! October 2014 - CR Tower TPV!
Me DH DD21 DS18

annej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
I think that is probably the main question you have to ask, do you want steak or seafood?
Ditto. Personally I don't go to a seafood restaurant to order steak and vice versa but I know that each restaurant offers a little something to fit every taste.

I"ve enjoyed them both numerous times, no complaints! Yachtsman has appetizers like the Charcuterie platter and the beet salad which I absolutely love, and the steaks are always well cooked! Flying Fish has a super Tuna Tartare and Crispy Calamari, and a potato wrapped snapper that is my favorite dish!

I seldom do dessert but surprisingly both restaurants have their version of a Banana Napoleon and they're tasty! One bite with coffee and my son 16, finishes it off!

You will hear good and bad about both! I happen to like both, I get very late ADR's and we take our time and enjoy dinner, wine and conversation!

Good luck with your choice!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV

Last edited by BEASLYBOO; 03-18-2013 at 03:25 PM.
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
evilqueenmindy
Mouseketeer

I'd pick Flying Fish, I've eaten there several times and never had anything but a great experience. We tried Yachtsman over Super Bowl weekend, and it was not good. I was really disappointed because I really wanted to like it.
evilqueenmindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
skyekitty
Earning My Ears

Sounds like we may go with FF. I am a pretty picky steak eater, because I used to live near a butcher and had access to local grass-fed beef. After that, it is hard for me to be impressed by a steak, even in a restaurant!

Also, we are planning on going to Kona and Brown Derby, which both had nice steak options the last time we visited them. Our 5th night we plan on going to Bistro de Paris, which we have also been to.

This is our 10th anniversary trip (it is actually in July, but I wouldn't hit Disney in July even if you paid me!), so we are going to V&A's as a special treat for one night (I'm calling to make the res tomorrow!!) I am really excited about it! We told each other back when we got married that we would go to V&A's!!

We like to try new places, but 3 of the 5 night,s it looks like we're going to end up at places we've been before, haha!
2005 Dec: off site
2007 Feb: Animal Kingdom Lodge
....babies....
2013 Sept: Boardwalk Villas (10th Anniversary trip!!!!)
skyekitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: