Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
MamaLema
Mouseketeer
I must eat at least one avocado a day!
Tying up Sayid and leaving Sawyer to die doesn't score brownie points with me

Cross border shopping- UPDATE 1ST POST

I know you need to stay 24 hours before you can bring back anything.

However I know many people who just go for the day and bring back stuff. We cross border shop about 3 times a year, staying at least overnight each time.

I would like to go for the day only this time. I wouldn't bring back much, mostly groceries.

What has been YOUR experience at the border after just crossing for the day?

UPDATE

Thanks everyone for the replies. We crossed over today at 9 am and crossed back into Canada around 1 pm. We only bought groceries, but we bought a lot of groceries. When the border agent asked us the value, I took a breath, prayed for the best and said $350. He took one look at our 3 teenaged boys, smiled, and waved us through. Hopefully next time we'll be lucky again.

Last edited by MamaLema; 03-30-2013 at 07:32 PM.
MamaLema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLema View Post

However I know many people who just go for the day and bring back stuff. We cross border shop about 3 times a year, staying at least overnight each time.

I would like to go for the day only this time. I wouldn't bring back much, mostly groceries.

You can bring back as much as you want just be prepared to pay the appropriate tax and duty. The 24 hour time frame is to bring things back tax/duty free. (within the limits)

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5056-eng.html
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 8) (DS 3)
dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLema View Post

We cross over atleast 2 times a month for groceries.
Our average grocery bill is $170..last one was $240.
No tobacco or alcohol purchased.
We have never had to pay any duty / taxes!

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
sasamong
Earning My Ears

My boyfriend and I go for day trips down to Seattle. We usually end up with around 100 in groceries at Walmart, 50-100 on clothes and video games together. We've never been taxes once. I have the receipts all ready and the exact total amount as well on my phone calculator. However, I think it depends on luck and how you answer the border guards questions. I've had friends that got taxed with the same amount of purchases. *shrugs*
sasamong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

I cross often but mostly for clothes, home goods etc..
I go for the day and declare what I buy. I would say sometimes I pay ( as when I bought new furniture !) and most times I don't. I crossed last week having spent approx $450 and was waved through ...same about 2 weeks prior.

minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Tortuga Rob
Dead men tell no tales.......

Smile

We just did a cross border shop and spent 450.00 and got waved right through. No tobacco or alcohol of course.

Nov 1983, Nov 1984, Feb 1994, Feb 1995 Offsite
Oct 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites
Oct 2005 POP/OKW/CS MNSSHP
Sept 2006 POP Free DDP MNSSHP
May 2007 POP DDP
Nov 2010 POP Free DDP
May 2012 POP/POR Free DDP
Sept 2013 POR MNSSHP Free DDP

(Rob), (SnowWhite), (DD 16), (DS 10), (DD 4)
Tortuga Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
wdwmom3
Mouseketeer

Most of what you would have to pay is hst. Unless it is something with high duties like alcohol and tobacco or jewelry. Most groceries are not subject to hst. If not a lot of taxes would be owed they will often waive you through as it takes time and resources to have you go in and pay the taxes. And here in Ontario you would only be paying $13 for a $100 worth of goods (if no duty).
wdwmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

It's all HST ..unless as you say it's duty free purchases and you haven't been gone the required time.

I find I pay perhaps 1 out of every 6-7 times and I am fine with that.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
canadakath
Mouseketeer

We cross often - we like to go for dinner "over the bridge" - and try to keep purchases to < $100 per person. This is when it's actually good to take my kids out for dinner with me - they bump up our limit!

As for no alcohol if you don't want to pay duty - not entirely true. We pick up 12 beer every time we go over - duty rates are on cases of 24 so it's too much of a pain to charge us for 12. Many people in our town do the same. Some do 12 per adult in the car, but we just keep it at 12.

The way I always look at it is even if I have to pay taxes/duty, I am saving much more than that plus have access to better selection. If I don't have to pay duty (and we very rarely have), even better. I am always honest and know that the guards are just doing their jobs - no point getting upset about it.

POFQ - May 2009 | AKL - November 2009 | CR - November 2010 | 7-nt Western on the Magic 1/22/2011 | CR - November 2011 | POR - November 2012 |Discovering the Magic of the Med! 12-nt with Greek Isles 6/15/13 | POLY - November 2013
canadakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

We used to cross weekly for 5 years as commercial and had to pay all the time but that's standard. We were searched twice in five years and came out clean both times. My husband is sure that a record of all our crossings and perfect record comes up when they scan our passport but I'm not sure it makes a difference. We didn't do much personal shopping when we were crossing commercial and if we did it was hit or miss if they charged us (we were already inside completing the paperwork for commercial so it was extra work for them to charge us on the personal). The border we crossed at was at point Roberts which is a weird anomaly because it was a tiny point that you could only get to it from Canada and its basically a marina, post office and shipping depot - no where to go shopping. When we'd cross total time in the states would be approx 20 min.

Now that we closed the business we got nexus and cross regularily at peace arch - lots of shopping there! We've never had to pay there. Our average trip is about $500-600 but we've been as high as $800 many times (no alcohol or tobacco and 4 people in the vehicle) with no problem.

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW Jan 2016 Marathon weekend here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

It will be completely hit and miss as to what guards you get and how their mood is for the day. The big thing you have to remember, is that, even if you spend $10, they can charge you. As long as you understand that, and are ok with it, then spend away. It doesn't matter how much you spend, or what you spend your money on, you may or may not, get pulled in.

I cross usually every week. I live so close to the border it makes more sense for me to shop/get gas in the US than it does in Canada. When buying just groceries, I have never had to pay. When making other purchases, it is totally random as to when I have had to pay. Know your prices, know if it's worth it to shop their and then pay.

It is so completely random, that the one time my SIL and I just went 'window shopping' for baby stuff and had nothing to declare, they pulled us in for a vehicle inspection. They couldn't understand how we didn't buy anything.

As well, if you have something 'new' in your car, be prepared to either have proof you bought it in Canada, or a REALLY good story for it. I had a brand new carseat in my car for my neice, we just had to fit her in it. It still had tags, and when they pulled me in for inspection, they gave me the hardest time over it. After 'much' conversation about it, they finally understood that the maple leaf on it, and the Canadian printing on it, proved it was from Canada.

So go and have fun. Buy what you want. Getting pulled in is nothing. Just pay your taxes and be on your way
Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Does having Nexus help?
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
jenne
Undercover Pirate

Rarely have to pay....

I go at least once a month, and I have only had to pay once and was searched once but didn't have to pay. When we were searched, I was with a friend that smokes, and you could smell it in her car, and I imagine that they were looking for cigarettes. The time I was charged, I was with two other women who both spent well over $400. I have a few rules when I go - try to keep the total around $125, no large electronic purchases and no alcohol or cigarettes. When I stick to those, I have never had a problem.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
minnie56
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_rules View Post
Does having Nexus help?
Perhaps with expediting the crossing but not any different with having to pay or not pay
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
pigletto
DIS Veteran

The only two times that stand out in my mind that we've been asked to pay taxes and duty was because both times I had spent in excess of seven or eight hundred. Once was because we had gone to the ski show, the other was because I had ordered the majority of my Christmas shopping online and picked it up in the States at a package service. In both cases, I saved so much by buying the items in the U.S. that it was still completely worth it to pay the duty and tax to bring it back over.

The other 30 or so times we've shopped it's always 200 or less and we'vebeen waived through almost every time. We always have the receipts in our hand ready to hand over and make an honest declaration. They seem to appreciate that. I am sure we've been asked to pay one or two more times but it doesn't stand out in my mind.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: