Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
CatandMouse
Earning My Ears

Alaska Cruise - June vs. August?

We booked the Aug 4, 2014 cruise out of Vancouver but found that the June 16, 2014 is pricing out less. Is there a big difference in the weather? We don't mind it being a bit colder. But are there other factors to consider with the June sailing?

Also - any opinions on whether a Verandah is a "must do" with this itinerary? We have an Oceanview right now and I am considering if the upgrade would be worth it.

Thanks!
CatandMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatandMouse View Post
We booked the Aug 4, 2014 cruise out of Vancouver but found that the June 16, 2014 is pricing out less. Is there a big difference in the weather? We don't mind it being a bit colder. But are there other factors to consider with the June sailing?

Also - any opinions on whether a Verandah is a "must do" with this itinerary? We have an Oceanview right now and I am considering if the upgrade would be worth it.

Thanks!
Personal opinion to me was a verandah was not needed (we had Oceanview). My reasoning was that the excursions were so costly and we have had verandahs before that I wanted to use the money saved towards our excursions. The weather in August in Vancouver was beautiful for the 3 days prior to the cruise but we had alot of rain on the August 16, 2011 cruise with temps not getting out of the low 50's. It rained each day in port but it did not stop us from doing what we wanted to do. We had packed appropriate clothing for all weather!

I can't imagine too much difference in weather from June to August. We spent alot of time on Deck 4 on Tracy Arm day. It was very uncrowded while offering great view and so easy to cut through the ship to the other side. We bounced back and forth all day. They provide blankets and we were quite cozy. They also offered complimentary hot cocoa up on the pool deck so we would go and bring it down to Deck 4.

Goofy, minnie and Donald all came by Deck 4 for photos and guest interaction. We loved the Alaska trip. We traveled with a group of 12 and they all loved it.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

We've cruised Alaska mid-May and early August. August was warmer, and the salmon were running. It was fascinating watching the salmon jumping upstream to spawn. Supposedly you'll have a better chance of seeing bears when they fish for salmon but we've never seen any bears on any of our four Alaskan cruises.

I don't "do" cold, but Alaska was warm enough in May that it was fine -- June should be even better. We're going back in early June this year; really looking forward to it.

We definitely enjoy having a veranda because we spend a lot of time relaxing in our room. Weigh the costs of your shore excursions and set your priorities for the $$$$.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
CatandMouse
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info! I am thinking that I would rather save money with the Oceanview Room and the earlier sailing - and then spend the money on the excursions like you mentioned. The itinerary sounds amazing! Plus blankets and hot cocoa on deck-- love it!

Extra bonus for the June sailing would be that we get to celebrate our anniversary onboard!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
CatandMouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
It was fascinating watching the salmon jumping upstream to spawn. .
That would be pretty incredible to see. Oh decisions, decisions...
Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:

Thanks!
The salmon are running later in the summer. In Juneau we went to the Mendenhall Glaciar where they have wooden walkways around the streams - we saw the salmon and bears (who were having a field day). This summer we're going in early August.
The weather is unpredictable whenever you go.

Some people swear by verandas, but I'm perfectly happy out on deck. Having a veranda (or even a porthole) has a disadvantage - if you don't close the curtains carefully you'll get light at times you don't want it (way too early, or too late).
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

yes, the big difference is the salmon running and therefore the chance of seeing bears.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
CruisingDownTheRiver
Earning My Ears

Bugs

In terms of bugs, it doesn't matter if you go in May or later on. The most mosquitoes I've ever seen was in Iditarod dog kennels. DEET didn't even help!
CruisingDownTheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
sorceressk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post

Personal opinion to me was a verandah was not needed (we had Oceanview). My reasoning was that the excursions were so costly and we have had verandahs before that I wanted to use the money saved towards our excursions. The weather in August in Vancouver was beautiful for the 3 days prior to the cruise but we had alot of rain on the August 16, 2011 cruise with temps not getting out of the low 50's. It rained each day in port but it did not stop us from doing what we wanted to do. We had packed appropriate clothing for all weather!

I can't imagine too much difference in weather from June to August. We spent alot of time on Deck 4 on Tracy Arm day. It was very uncrowded while offering great view and so easy to cut through the ship to the other side. We bounced back and forth all day. They provide blankets and we were quite cozy. They also offered complimentary hot cocoa up on the pool deck so we would go and bring it down to Deck 4.

Goofy, minnie and Donald all came by Deck 4 for photos and guest interaction. We loved the Alaska trip. We traveled with a group of 12 and they all loved it.

MJ
Aw you're making me want to go to Alaska so bad!!! We are tentatively planning for aug 2014. Can't wait!!
sorceressk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Both our Alaskan cruises were in mid-June. Weather was fine for both.

Actually googling Alaskan Weather, July has the highest average temperatures.

I don't think I would do May or September, that would likely be cold.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Both our Alaskan cruises were in mid-June. Weather was fine for both.

Actually googling Alaskan Weather, July has the highest average temperatures.

I don't think I would do May or September, that would likely be cold.
We've done Alaska in May/June and late September. The weather was pretty much the same, in the mid 50s most days. The only difference was in May/June there was about 18 hours of daylight every day, in September daylight was more like 10-12 hours.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Presley
Mouseketeer

I went June 2013 and it was cold. I wanted to go early in the season because I wanted to see more snow/ice. It was absolutely gorgeous.

I've read that late July/August is better for seeing stuff like bears. I did see bears in June, though. There just weren't any bear specific tours during June.

You'll love it either way. We ended up getting Ocean View instead of a Verandah so we would have more money for excursions. It was the right choice for us. There was plenty of room for deck viewing. Also, drinking coffee at Cove cafe had a great view. We saw whales when we were just sitting there drinking our coffee.
Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
ILUVALASKA
Mouseketeer

Second and third the AUgust cruise. Salmon are running so you should see more bears and eagles. I have worn shorts each time I sail to Alaska in August. I always see bears for free near Mendenhall on the nature trail (not the wooden platform).

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
sorceressk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVALASKA View Post
Second and third the AUgust cruise. Salmon are running so you should see more bears and eagles. I have worn shorts each time I sail to Alaska in August. I always see bears for free near Mendenhall on the nature trail (not the wooden platform).
What's the weather like in degrees in August? Is early aug different than late aug?
sorceressk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks!
Did you look at the Aug 18th sailing? We picked that one because it was less then the June 16th. I think the price was still the same last I checked. So maybe look into it if you decide you would like August more then June.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: