Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

How to determine if an upgrade at the port is worth it.

So, once you get to the port and find out if there are upgrades available. How do you figure out if an upgrade that is offered is worth it or not? Do you have a fixed dollar amount in mind that you won't exceed, or a percentage? What do you compare the cost against, what the other categories were when you booked or something else? We will only be on a 3-night this next cruise, but I thought this might be a good time to try for an upgrade.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

There is usually a line, so I would recommend having a fixed dollar amount in mind that you are willing to spend. If the upgrade exceeds your budget, then just pass on it.

As long as you have booked a room you will be happy with, no worries!
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
So, once you get to the port and find out if there are upgrades available. How do you figure out if an upgrade that is offered is worth it or not? Do you have a fixed dollar amount in mind that you won't exceed, or a percentage? What do you compare the cost against, what the other categories were when you booked or something else? We will only be on a 3-night this next cruise, but I thought this might be a good time to try for an upgrade.
It's usually "worth it" in the sense it cost less than if you had booked in advance. But since you will have exactly the same food, shows, activities, swimming, ports, etc. whether it is worth is is more of how you'd like to spend your extra money (it could instead go to photos, spa, Remy, souvenirs, excursions, or <gasp> savings).
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

I asked about upgrades on my Dream cruise last month. I had been watching for the previous few weeks what the upgrade would cost if I did it pre-cruise. When she gave me the price, it was more than what I would have paid in advance, so I declined. She tried to tell me it was cheaper, but I knew it wasn't.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
holula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post

It's usually "worth it" in the sense it cost less than if you had booked in advance. But since you will have exactly the same food, shows, activities, swimming, ports, etc. whether it is worth is is more of how you'd like to spend your extra money (it could instead go to photos, spa, Remy, souvenirs, excursions, or <gasp> savings).
We have asked three times about upgrades and it has NEVER been cheaper than booking the upgraded room outright. I want to be someone who finds amazing deals at port!
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!)
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2014 Southern, 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by holula View Post
We have asked three times about upgrades and it has NEVER been cheaper than booking the upgraded room outright. I want to be someone who finds amazing deals at port!
That's strange - every time we have asked it was cheaper. Go figure.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
There is usually a line, so I would recommend having a fixed dollar amount in mind that you are willing to spend. If the upgrade exceeds your budget, then just pass on it.

As long as you have booked a room you will be happy with, no worries!
This is the way to go for us.

Some PPs noted that their quotes for upgrades were actually more than if they'd booked per-cruise, this was not the case for us. We upgraded to Concierge last last October from an ocean view cabin for $680. Trust me this was cheaper than if we booked per-cruise by at least $700 if I remember correctly.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
This is the way to go for us.

Some PPs noted that their quotes for upgrades were actually more than if they'd booked per-cruise, this was not the case for us. We upgraded to Concierge last last October from an ocean view cabin for $680. Trust me this was cheaper than if we booked per-cruise by at least $700 if I remember correctly.
A $700 savings is impressive. I am thinking that if we ever do get to do Concierge, it will be a shorter cruise, and I would prefer to do it on the Dream or Fantasy where they have the Concierge Lounge.

If you do upgrade, do you pay on the spot or is it added to your on-board balance? And, does this mean that your luggage takes longer to get to you--is it sitting down at your old cabin? We are presently booked in an 8A Gty, so an upgrade would mean a smaller cabin, but to experience Concierge might make it worth it.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
A $700 savings is impressive. I am thinking that if we ever do get to do Concierge, it will be a shorter cruise, and I would prefer to do it on the Dream or Fantasy where they have the Concierge Lounge.

If you do upgrade, do you pay on the spot or is it added to your on-board balance? And, does this mean that your luggage takes longer to get to you--is it sitting down at your old cabin? We are presently booked in an 8A Gty, so an upgrade would mean a smaller cabin, but to experience Concierge might make it worth it.
The one time we did an upgrade to Concierge it was several thousand dollars cheaper than upgrading ahead of time.

The cost of the upgrade is charged to your onboard account. Our stateroom host went to our old cabin and retrieved our luggage, and it did take a little longer to receive it. You could always go to your old cabin, once they have started delivering luggage, and get your luggage if you're in a hurry.

Not sure why you think an upgrade to Concierge would mean a smaller cabin. The smallest Concierge cabin on the Dream is the same size as a category 4 cabin.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: