Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom04
I'm in! Your daughter is so cute! I remember when my daughter was her age but we hadn't taken her to Disney until she was 6. I did that as a single mom as well. This June will be our first trip taking my mom along with us. Yay!

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Hope your trip is super fun!

Thank you for the kind comments & for reading along!
emmebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

We got our magical box from the Disney store & now emme is officially ready for our trip! We leave in 8 short days.

Will be updating soon from our family trip with the grandparents!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmebear View Post
We got our magical box from the Disney store & now emme is officially ready for our trip! We leave in 8 short days.

Will be updating soon from our family trip with the grandparents!
Oh i just realized the towel had her name on it too!!! Soooo cute!!! We are beach/pool ready!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

updated 4/6/13

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN: 5 DAYS!!

our trip to disney is 5 days away! emme & i are so excited to see rachel & enjoy disney together. i've been so busy with work, editing photos (i was flown out to atlanta for a photography gig last weekend & editing spring photos for clients) and tonight, i'm bartending a fundraising event at our contemporary museum. and with that i cannot wait to finally get down to disney with the only agenda of having FUN!

emme & i had a date night last night & saw "disney on ice: dare to dream". the event had perfect timing & got the both of us so amped for disney.

when we arrived, they told me i couldn't bring my camera & i had to return it to my car. returning to the car was not an option so i waited a few minutes & entered a very long line with people eager to get inside. needless to say, i got my camera in!

we were taken to our seats. we had "dream seats" and were only 2 rows from the ice but there were very tall people sitting in front of us. so, after 5 minutes into the show, emme & i moved to these 4 empty chairs right in the front with no obstructed view. SCORE!

here are some pictures i wanted to share:

and we started with tiana. she was beautiful!

then the story moved to:

the cinderella story was so well done. she even had a sparkling boot for her glass slipper. this prince was so much better than the prince that was 1900 park fare.

and this story stole the show:

the lights!

and for the finale, we were surprised with so many disney princesses dressed in gorgeous dresses!

ariel was there too but i didn't get a decent picture.

and finally:

we had such a wonderful experience. this production was leaps & bounds better than toy story on ice. all the princesses were beautiful & there was so much thought that went into this show. i highly recommend it!

5 days & counting until we stuff our faces...again!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

updated 4/7/13

PRINCESS STORYBOOK DINING @ AKERSHUS

after a rough night of sleep, we were all running late for breakfast @ akershus. both my mom & emme were sick & my dad forgot to bring his insulin. needless to say, we were super late getting to our ADR. it's not how i envisioned starting our disney trip together but we finally made it at 11am. i know the rush in getting to epcot really affected our moods & i felt bad for my parents as they were trying to keep up with me & a jogging stroller.

we didn't have to wait very long & i then realized that there were other people eating after us...so we weren't too late.

i've never seen this belle before. she wasn't the friendliest of belle's & you can tell from emme's face that she totally wasn't feeling it.

onwards to my date with some cheesy potatoes...

i think overall, it was a hectic day at akershus. our CM was definitely frazzled & looked tired. it was the end of the breakfast rush so i understood. she took our drink orders and we all hit the cold buffet.

this would be my dad's plate. you can clearly see he's white carb deprived at home as he chose a bagel out of all the things he could have eaten. he also kind of hid his croissant behind his salmon so my mom couldn't "see" it.

and the princess processional started.

she was a very pretty cinderella.

after the processional (we had 2 during our meal), the CM brings over the food, which is served family style.

and then emme's friends came by to say hello.

ariel & a non-caring emme.

so cute!

emme really took to sleeping beauty during this breakfast.

my mom started to crack up when she saw snow white skipping to our table.

last but not least...

between the hustle & bustle of the character interaction & trying to get emme to eat, i didn't get to enjoy the first batch of cheesy potatoes. they were cold when i finally got to them. so i asked the CM if i could have a second order.

and here it is:

CHEESY POTATOES!

the larger chunks of potato were in this batch as well. the potatoes were as good as my last visit. i wanted to devour the entire thing but i could feel my mom's piercing eyes staring at me & thinking, "do you really need to eat that entire portion?!"

so, i settled for half.

speaking of my mom, here are my cute parents. this is their first trip back to disney in 20 years!

they have been married 36 years.

after breakfast was finished, we decided to walk off the breakfast and take a look at all the topiaries around epcot.

but first....

emme loves her papa.

so typically, it's just emme & i on our trips. when i received the bill for akershus (3 adults, 1 infant), i was in total sticker shock. the meal was $134.00 which included a 20% discount ($26.00) & an 18% tip ($22.00). that's a whole bunch of money for some cheesy potatoes. i'm still a bit bitter about the price for breakfast. i know it's a character driven meal but dang, $134.00. i just wasn't mentally prepared for the total.

however, emme loves the princesses & we did get a another of picture of emme & belle (again, emme's not looking at the camera) . but i think i might just give akershus a break for a few months....or until i stop being bitter about the $134.00 bill. HA HA.

up next, FLOWER & GARDEN snacks & drinks![/QUOTE]
Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Cute pics!
Old 04-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

updated 4/10/13

FLOWER & GARDEN: Part 1

after our breakfast at akershus, my family & i walked around epcot. the topiaries were absolutely magnificent! the weather also absolutely perfect for a day at epcot.

my parents were getting a bit tired & wanted to head back to the condo. but not before some pictures with the beautiful flowers.

we were late for our breakfast ADR so we didn't get to really stop & see the topiaries at the entrance.

my parents....aren't they cute??

we headed back to the condo so emme could take a quick nap. unfortunately, she did not nap & then we hopped back onto the bus for epcot. emme then decided it was time to take a nap. ha ha. this worked out great as it would give me quiet time to stuff my face at the festival! i was meeting my friend who also has a 3 year old...so together, we would be eatings lots of food, drink yummy beer & push our strollers. SCORE!

as i made my way to the world showcase, i took a few more pictures.

i love love loved the reflection in the water. the flowers were also so brightly colored...absolutely beautiful. on the next day when i took the monorail to epcot from mk, the view from the monorail looking down at these flowers was so stunning.

AND NOW TO THE FOOD!!

i was meeting my friend at the beer stand next to rose & crown at 6pm. i was early so i decided to get a bite to eat as i was starving. breakfast was at 11am & i hadn't eaten anything since.

i decided on this:

Baked Goat's Brie with Kumquat Chutney - $4.50

Baked Goat's Brie with Kumquat Chutney - $4.50

this was absolutely heavenly. i am a huge fan of brie. the brie was baked in a flakey & buttery puff pastry. the brie was ooey & gooey & very savory. the kumquat chutney was both tart & sweet. combined together, it was absolutely scrumptious. the portion was enough to share with another person & since i had no one to share it with, i ate most of it by myself. can't waste food, right? i loved this dish. it was a great start to the festival.

i was meeting two friends & my friend matt brought me an ice cold stella. i love the pours at epcot. they pour the stella right to the brim. it's a very nice pour especially for a $9.00 beer. you really get your money's worth.

ice cold stella & our friend captain hook.

....speaking of captain hook:

and captain hook is afraid of this guy:

this is my friend matt. i've known him for 8 years. he's all grow'd up now.

onwards to good ole america.

i'm not a huge bbq fan but the pulled pork sandwich was calling my name.

Pulled Pig Slider with Cole Slaw - $5.50

Pulled Pig Slider with Cole Slaw - $5.50 + Liberty Ale from Anchor Brewing Company, San Francisco, CA (India Pale Ale) - $3.50

the pulled pork slider was HUGE! i gave half of my sandwich to matt as i wanted to make room for some more food. i got the 3oz pour of the IPA & it was a perfect match with the pulled pork slider. the crunch of the cole slaw was a great contrast to the pork. one small gripe: i wish the bun was toasted. the bun & the meat had about the same texture when chewing so the crust of a grilled bun would have made this an almost perfect sandwich.

my friend mike got the Smoked Beef Brisket with Collard Greens and Jalapeno Corn Bread - $6.75 & Rocky Road Brownie Mousse - $3.00 & said that everything was very tasty.

we made a stop to play some drums. max & emme had a super fun time together!

next, i made a stop in morocco.

Harissa and Lemon Confit Chicken Drumettes with Chermoula and Cucumber Salad - $5.00

when i saw harissa, i got pretty excited. finally, something spicy! but to my disappointment, this was pretty bland. the chermoula & cucumber salad was also flavorless but had a nice crunch to it. the chicken needed much more harissa. i would have been happy if they had a bottle of harissa as a condiment to add on top of the drumstick. this was a drumstick and not a drumette. it was a nice size...just unfortunate that it was flavorless.

after the delicious pork slider, i made my way to italy.

Asparagi con Aragosta all'Ortolana (Green asparagus, lobster, garden cocktail sauce) - $7.75

on paper, this dish looked like a total winner. but in actuality, this was the worst thing i tried at the festival. the asparagus was tiny & soggy. there was 2 small pieces of lobster. to make things worse, there was so much cocktail sauce that you could not taste anything else. the dish was also served cold. this was the most expensive thing i ate & i was the most disappointed.

i had linda's lobster roll during food & wine and i was really hoping that this would be on the level of the lobster roll. i guess it's my fault for having such high expectations but look at the plate of food. it tasted as unappetizing as it looked. two thumbs way down from me.

i paired this with Birra Del Borgo - Rubus Lamponi (Specialty Wild Fruit Ale) - $10.00. i thought the ale was just ok. it reminded me of very carbonated lambic with rasberry syrup. again, this was a disappointing stop in italy. i really wished i would have chosen the lasagna.

after my disappointing trip to italy, we moved to the florida fresh booth.

the three of us picked this delectable dish.

Shrimp and Stone Ground Grits with Andouille Sausage, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes and Cilantro - $5.50

this was my favorite bite of the entire night. there was 3 jumbo shrimp on top of creamy grits which had bits of corn & tomato mixed with some sausage. the sausage was not overpowering and the corn brought delicious sweetness to the spice of the shrimp. it was divine! the shrimp was equally large on all of our plates. the shrimp wasn't over cooked but it was slightly undercooked (if that makes sense). i loved this dish so much! it was very filling and for $5.50 i thought it was a total steal. DELICIOUS!!

i also ordered this:

Watermelon Salad with pickled Red Onions, BW Farm Baby Arugula, Feta Cheese and Balsamic Reduction - $3.50

another winner from my home state of florida. who knew balsamic vinegar would taste so great with watermelon?! not this girl. i love balsamic with strawberries but the combination of the pickled red onions with a bite of the watermelon & feta was an explosion of flavor. this really hit the spot! the dish was refreshing & very fresh. i could eat an entire bowl of this as a meal. very very very tasty.

i have so many more pictures to post from the festival!

...TO BE CONTINUED...

ps: i leave for the third & last trip of this trip report tomorrow after working 1/2 day. hooray!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

updated 4/16/13

COSMIC RAY'S

before i post my flower & garden part 2, here are some photos from our lunch @ cosmic rays.

emme & my dad spider-man posing!

we began our second day together @ magic kingdom. i cancelled our pre-park ADR @ crystal place as emme & my mom were sick & my dad was pretty wiped out from epcot the day before. my dad forgot his insulin back home so we were taking it easy.

it was pretty nice not to have any ADR's planned. no where to rush & i was not worried about losing the credit card guarantee if we did not show up. total freedom to eat anywhere in the park!

we made a pit stop here:

emme loves her vanilla ice cream.

i ordered the ice cream & asked if i could have it inside of a soda cup. the ice cream melts quickly & gets all over emme. however, another CM saw the order & served the ice cream in the short cup while the original CM put the ice cream in the soda cup. so they gave us both ice creams...we got 2 for 1...disney magic!

after spending quite a bit of time in the new fantasyland, we decided to eat. we had a fast pass to "buzz lightyear" at 2pm so this was the perfect time to eat. unfortunately, it as probably the worst time to eat as cosmic ray's was slammed.

i had to stand in 2 lines to get lunch for my family. it took about 25 minutes total. my daughter (if i'm lucky) will eat chicken. my mom wanted a burger & i got my dad a grilled chicken sandwich.

Chicken Breast Nuggets (8 pieces) - served with apple slice or french fries or cucumber salad $8.69

i chose the chicken breast nuggets in hoping they were better than the nuggets in the kids meals. the nuggets in the kids meal are gross. they look like mcdonald's hash browns but not nearly as good. the texture is weird & i never again wanted to see another one of those kids meal nuggets.

these chicken breast nuggets were very heavily breaded. we had more than 8 pieces but some of the pieces were very small & mostly breading. some of them were tough to eat even though i tried to get as much of the breading off as possible. i wish they just served chicken tenders instead.

the cucumber salad was cold & refreshing. the dressing tasted like it had some vinegar in it. i liked the tartness of the vinegar. i wished i could have had a larger portion though.

Angus Bacon Cheeseburger - served with apple slice or french fries or cucumber salad $9.99

the cheeseburger had a thick piece of bacon on it but it was cooked pretty well done. i added mayo, ketchup, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, lettuce & tomato to my burger. after all the toppings, it almost made me forget that the burger itself was well done & semi-dry. plus, i was pretty hungry so it filled me up. my mom & i split the burger.

well done burger.

speaking of toppings, we had a tray full of toppings. i guess it would have been easier for me to take my actual food & put the toppings on top of the burgers but after taking the trays to my parents who had found a seat outside, i forgot to take the food with me to the condiment bar. so, i had to get creative. but our table was outside...it was such a nice day to eat outside.

a hot mess of condiments on top of lots of napkins.

Grilled Chicken Sandwich - served with apple slices or fries or cucumber salad $9.59

i ordered this for my dad & got the apple slices for emme. he didn't complain about the sandwich but my dad never complains about food. i think that stems from the korean war & being hungry for many years. he happily eats anything. i wished i would have gotten him the 1/4 rotisserre chicken meal instead of the chicken sandwich.

this is my mom wishing she was back at the condo eating korean food & my dad's happy to be eating.

one cool thing about cosmic ray's is that you can purchase mickey straws for 59 cents! it was a very cute straw (that i saw in rachel's dining review) but what a totally cheap souvenier! emme still uses the mickey straw at home with her minnie cup.

emme's happy with her mickey straw!

this is what $35.00 will get you at cosmic ray's [minus my camera]

overall, the meal served it's purpose to fill us up so that we could keep continuing our adventures at magic kingdom. it wasn't the best meal but it was enough. it was a total pain to wait in 2 different lines. i can't imagine having a larger family who wanted something from each bay.

next time, i want to try columbia harbour house. that was my original choice but my parents didn't want to walk all the way over there.

happy family after lunch.

side note: all these pictures were taken with my iphone.

up next, FLOWER & GARDEN PART 2!!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

updated 4/16/13

FOOD & GARDEN PART 2

after lunch @ cosmic ray's, we spent more time with my parents at magic kingdom. after a few more hours, my parents were ready to return to the condo so emme & i said good bye & headed back to epcot for some more yummy snacks.

emme was still sick so she ended up falling asleep which allowed me some time to eat in silence & enjoy my food. silence is such a treat with a 3 year old.

i was meeting my friend jackie @ the mexico pavillion in the world showcase. she was inside with her boyfriend exploring delicious margaritas. i decided to check out the crab tostada & partake myself in a delicious margarita.

Tostada de Jaiba (Crab tostada served with Chipotle mayonnaise and Valentina salsa) - $5.50

Tostada de Jaiba (Crab tostada served with Chipotle mayonnaise and Valentina salsa) - $5.50

has anyone noticed the amount of crab on top of this tostada?! it was unbelievable! after my disappointing lobster snack @ italy (which was $2 more, btw), i was extremely pleased with the tostada. it was almost too pretty to eat....almost.

this tostada was absolutely mouth watering delicious. i squeezed the lime on top of the tostada which added a perfect amount of acid & brightness to the dish. the chipotle mayo had a tiny bit of heat as did the salsa. the crunch of the tostada was great texture to the creaminess of the crab. together, all the ingredients were magical.

i still could not believe this snack (which was a generous serving) was only $5.50. it was well worth it. i was very sad when i ate my last bite. this tostada was so yummy.

i also ordered this:

Rosita Margarita on the rocks (Tequila, triple sec and rose infusions - $8.50)

i was pretty intrigued with this combination & giggled when i saw that the margarita was actually pink. i was hoping that this wasn't made with rose water (ick). the rose infusion brought a little bit of sweetness to cut into the triple sec & was actually quite good. they were generous with the amount of tequila in the drink because i definitely felt the drink. it was a bit pricey but was very refreshing and good.

two big thumbs up mexico!

onwards, we moved onto germany.

i read about the savory bread pudding & i really wanted to try this. my last trip to germany was during food & wine fest where i was severely disappointed in the roasted bratwurst in the pretzel roll. but the beer was very good. here's hoping for some happier results.

Savory Bread Pudding with Spring Peas and Wild Mushroom Ragout - $3.75

Savory Bread Pudding with Spring Peas and Wild Mushroom Ragout - $3.75 & Krombacher Hefeweizen - $3.50

i really wanted to like this bread pudding. i'm a huge fan of mushrooms & this bread pudding had a ton of mushrooms in it. however, i could not get over how salty this thing was. it tasted like cream of mushrooms on steroids. the bread pudding itself was indead savory but i just could not get over the saltiness of the dish. i was disappointed in germany...again.

the beer however, was delicious.

speaking of beer...

Krombacher Hefeweizen - $3.50

emme was awake from her nap so we went sight seeing for a little bit.

i loved LOVED these gnomes. i'm going to buy these gnomes in april when i return to disney. absolutely adorable!

my mom loves orchids and has some of the orchids with the roots showing at her house. these reminded me of her.

beautiful.

we made our way to france next.

i ordered this:

La Vie en Rose Frozen Slush (Grey Goose vodka orange, St. Germain liquor with white and red Cranberry Juice) - $9.75

this was refreshing but it wasn't as slushy as my other slush drinks in france. it was on the watery side but was still good.

for my snack, i ordered:

Terrine campagnarde, baguette et compote de cerises (Country style pate served with baguette and cherry compote) - $4.75

i love pate & this pate was scrumptious! i loved the cherry compote which really went well with the briney-ness of the pate. the baguette was sliced thin and very crunchy. this was a winner in my book.

while emme & i sat on a bench in france, we were relaxing with some friends.

after devouring my pate & finishing my slushie, we continued our walk & ran into some more friends:

it kind of creeps me out that the humans have no eyes on their faces but characters like pooh & lotso have eyes. so weird & creepy!

i had room for one more dish so i made my way to florida fresh to get another helping of the shrip & grits. i had it the day before but it was definitely worth another taste.

Shrimp and Stone Ground Grits with Andouille Sausage, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes and Cilantro - $5.50

once again, this dish was cooked perfectly. i was so surprised the night before at the high quality of this dish that i was even more surprised it was just as good the second day. this dish is amazing!! i love everything about it. the grits are sooooo good.

look how large this shrimp is!! there are 3 in this dish & it only costs $5.50. it's a total bargain in my opinion and well worth the $5.50.

my tummy was so happy with my choices, minus the overly salty bread pudding. but the bread pudding only cost $3.75 so i wasn't as bitter as i still am about the lobster atrocity in italy (refer to my first f&g post for more).

emme took home a new friend from epcot:

baby duffy! anyone know why duffy is so dang expensive? he was $31.95 (minus my 10% discount for AP) but seriously, why?!?! i couldn't say no as she's always asked for duffy but i always managed to distract her but she was pretty much sick the entire trip so i gave in. he is pretty cute tho....cute but expensive.

we made our way out of epcot to head back to our condo. i had a great few hours at epcot & was sad that our day had come to an end.

and despite it being 70 & windy, this girl managed to get sunburned.

lovely, isn't it?!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #26
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

i love her spiderman pose,so precious!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

updated 4/16/13

i wanted to complete this post with some favorite pics with the trip to disney with my parents & daughter. i returned from my 3rd trip to disney last night and am eager to start that trip report.

my mom had never seen an aquarium before & it completely fascinated her. she sat on the floor with emme & just sat there for almost 30 minutes watching all the fish. she got really excited to see the turtle as turtles are good luck in our culture. she loved it!

BRUCE!!!

i loved this cluster of yellow flowers on the tree with just branches. so pretty.

on our second day, we headed to magic kingdom.

emme loves her papa!

papa braved the tea cups!

after the tea cups, we headed over to the little mermaid (emme's favorite):

and some fun shots of the ride:

and then we spent a few more hours at magic kingdom before my parents headed back to the condo. emme & i headed back to epcot for some more food.

we had a really great time together at disney! i felt really blessed to be able to take my parents on this trip. despite the fact that all three weren't 100%, we all had an absolute blast & made some lifetime memories.

this concludes the mini trip report for trip #2. i'm so eager to begin trip report #3!

up next, HELLO PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE!!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #29
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Love to see all the happy memories you have created. Nice to see a family that clearly loves to be together
meajuly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #30
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I love the pictures seeing Emme interact with Papa. After hearing about him for the past 5 days its cute to see pictures of them together

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: