Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
I feel going during special events is the best way. Food and Wine Festival and the Flower and Garden Show are great times. Christmas time is good, too. You have more activities at those times; so, you can get absorbed into all those events. There are lectures and parties to attend with those events.

Doing some special activities really helps like Lunch with an Imagineer at the Brown Derby. There are tours to do, as well. Keeping busy is a key for my enjoyment as a soloist. By the time I get back to the room I go to sleep.

If I get really lonely, I'll make a few calls back home. Sometimes, I have the courage to start up a conversation with someone else at the park and that helps some of the lonely moments. Some of the best times for this is when you wait in a long line or you are seeing a parade or fireworks. I want to get brave enough to approach another solo traveller at a table service and see if they want to eat together. The timing of it is crucial though; so, this is not so easy to accomplish. I like doing postcards to everyone and that helps the time back at the resort. Take pictures and video at the parks; this keeps you active and you don't think about being alone that way. Reading or doing your I-pad is okay, too.

I'm at a point where I either don't have people who can afford to go with me, or people who would have a hard time being there with all the walking involved (some will scooter, some won't) or others who are just not that interested in going there. There are some who are just too lazy for a trip to Disney World. My hubby has been by partner for many trips, but his heart is not in it anymore. I know the day is coming where I will have to go solo more often or not go. I wish I could offer to pay someone's way all the time, but that's not to doable, either. I did it once when there was free dining, but it seems that free dining is not happening any more. I will say that trip was one of the worse; because, the person didn't really care about being there after the first day. They were more interested in smoking or texting or calling back home than being at Disney. Originally, they were eager to be there, but that wore out very fast. And it wasn't having me as a companion that made it unenjoyable; this person was just happier staying in the room and sleeping or watching TV. I still have bad memories about that trip. This person fooled me about going there and I won't do it again.

I will say I enjoyed most of the time on my solo trip, but there were some lonely moments. I do feel I prefer going with someone to Disney World, but I realize this will not happen too much in my future. I will say I rather go alone, then not at all. I think it gets easier to do it on each trip you take alone.

AAA has a special vacation package for solo travelers, now. It doesn't include Disney at this time. I'm probably going to try that sometime in the near future. Everyone is in the same boat and you will have activities to be together with other solo travelers and still have the opportunity to be on your own, too. I think AAA has recognized this as a problem and they are trying to address this issue.
Sorry, I forgot to quote you in that last comment I posted! Hey, I lived in Greencastle for many years! Have you enjoyed your snow?
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #32
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Looks like there are many of us in the same situation, that we are solo at WDW by circumstance and not necessarily by choice. So why not meet up with other solos for a meal or two, and then if it goes well, maybe see about planning the next trip together?
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #33
rocknroll
Mouseketeer

Some more solo ideas from a last minute soloist

Hi, I am going to be in Orlando for my first solo adventure May 11 to 18. It was supposed to be a big family thing, but not anymore. Don't want to hijack your thread, so my details for another post.

Anyway, for something off the beaten WDW path, I am planning on hitting MoonFish's Sushi Happy Hour (4:30 - 6:30) at least once if not twice during the week and having two or more people makes for a better experience. I will have a car so transport is no problem.

Also, will be booking a couple of rounds of golf for the mid afternoon times (2 - 3) for $79.

And based on the forums here, it looks like there are groups that fill up an Illuminations boat, so will try to get in on one of those.

I am still learning the ropes on here, so hope I didn't write too much.

Let me know if any one of the above is of interest.

Cheers!

RR
rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #34
eeyore344
Mouseketeer

Thinking about a solo trip either this or next Christmas so will be anxiously reading this thread. I agree it's more fun with a partner. My dd and dgd usually go with me, but she is a teacher and dgd is almost 9 so Christmas is usually out of the question. And I mean 1st or 2nd week of Dec. to avoid Christmas crowds.
So please share all tips, ideas and things to do.

eeyore344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #35
Bete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suelala View Post

Sorry, I forgot to quote you in that last comment I posted! Hey, I lived in Greencastle for many years! Have you enjoyed your snow?
We had record breaking snow a week ago; it was 10 inches, here.

There's even a chance for snow on April 1 and it's not April Fools, either.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #36
dreamscometrue101
Mouseketeer

My first solo trip will be October 20th to 26th. I am nervous about spending so much time alone but then again I will be surrounded by fellow Disney fans, so I really won't be alone. As most here have said, dining alone is my biggest issue, but I guess it's time to suck it up, because its probably going to be solo trips from here on out as hubby has said he's done with Disney.

dreamscometrue101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
JeffryK
Earning My Ears

I did my first solo trip last year mainly cause i ran out of friends to drag along. As so many have said before me it is awesome.

What i especially enjoyed was renting a small speedboat at the hotels at Magic Kingdom and relax whilst boating around the lake. Having been there a few times and the safety measures we see at theme parks i couldnt imagine you could just walk up and rent one of those boats. Great fun and by yourself the boats go even faster
TDL:'09
JeffryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #38
kwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore344 View Post
Thinking about a solo trip either this or next Christmas so will be anxiously reading this thread. I agree it's more fun with a partner. My dd and dgd usually go with me, but she is a teacher and dgd is almost 9 so Christmas is usually out of the question. And I mean 1st or 2nd week of Dec. to avoid Christmas crowds.
That's a great time of year for a solo trip. That's when I've been. Crowds aren't bad and you get to see the Christmas decorations. Be sure to book ADRs! One year, weather was awesome! Shorts and T shirts, maybe pants and a sweatshirt at night. But the other year it was freezing and if it hadn't been for my table service meals, I don't think I could have gotten warm!

I did MVMCP the second time I was solo that time of year and I did have some passing, "Crap, look at all the happy families at the holidays and I'm alone" moments during that. But, a good swift stern reminder that I, too, had loved ones back home who support my solo trips and miss me when I'm gone put those lonely thoughts to rest pretty quickly. Was only bad during the party, not sure why. BUT, I do still suggest it once if you have never been.

Osborne lights are great and my little videos on my camera were great to show off to friends and family when I got back.

I've done the Wine Walk on Epcot alone... Timed my tasting with a chance to watch one of the storytellers they had in the countries that time of year.... So a drink and free performer... What's not to like about that? Watched the entire mime act in Italy. Stuff my regular traveling companions would never take the time to do.

And it's great fun to shop for Christmas presents at Disney! My DB never puts up with much shopping! I think I spend a quarter of my time in shops when traveling alone!

So... Great time of year to go. I'm a bit sentimental around the holidays and not having family at Disney at that time...well..I'd be lying if I said there was never a moment I wish I'd had company, but man, I do love getting to do what I want, when I want, and as long as I want. It's all about me! I compromise all the time around the holidays.... But not when in alone at Disney!!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #39
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore344 View Post
I am looking at going solo this Christmas too! I haven't decided on the first or 2nd week yet either. I'm waiting on airfare prices to come out to see if there's a difference between those two weeks before I book.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #40
Straughn
Mouseketeer

Another frequent solo tripper here and a senior citizen ( age, not mentality) to boot. My late DH thought WDW was a golf resort, so I spent a lot of time by myself in the parks. He refused to go, even once, to F&W. We had many great trips to the World and thoroughly enjoyed our days on our own and had great dinners where we caught up on the day's activities. Six months after he passed away, I made my first solo trip. That was five years ago and I have made a number of them since then. I go every year to F&W, sometimes solo and sometimes with a friend. I make a short solo in January or February every year. I make ADR's at the Signature restaurants. The servers all talk to me and I have had great conversations with people at adjoining tables. Do not be concerned about dining alone at a TS restaurant. It is great to be able to do what I want, when I want in the parks. If I want to ride an attraction several times in a row, who cares. I can go as early and stay as late as I want. The one thing I have learned about Disney is that there is always someone to strike up a conversation with. About the only thing I plan, other than ADR's, is which park I am going to go to each day, based on the crowd levels and EMH, which I studiously avoid. if there is one place where I have no problem being solo, it is WDW.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #41
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straughn View Post
Another frequent solo tripper here and a senior citizen ( age, not mentality) to boot. My late DH thought WDW was a golf resort, so I spent a lot of time by myself in the parks. He refused to go, even once, to F&W. We had many great trips to the World and thoroughly enjoyed our days on our own and had great dinners where we caught up on the day's activities. Six months after he passed away, I made my first solo trip. That was five years ago and I have made a number of them since then. I go every year to F&W, sometimes solo and sometimes with a friend. I make a short solo in January or February every year. I make ADR's at the Signature restaurants. The servers all talk to me and I have had great conversations with people at adjoining tables. Do not be concerned about dining alone at a TS restaurant. It is great to be able to do what I want, when I want in the parks. If I want to ride an attraction several times in a row, who cares. I can go as early and stay as late as I want. The one thing I have learned about Disney is that there is always someone to strike up a conversation with. About the only thing I plan, other than ADR's, is which park I am going to go to each day, based on the crowd levels and EMH, which I studiously avoid. if there is one place where I have no problem being solo, it is WDW.
Good for you! I am going to try my first solo trip this fall, and I hope I can be brave enough! But when you still really want to go to WDW and no one else can/will go with you, you either go, or stay home and wish you were there, right?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #42
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good for you! I am going to try my first solo trip this fall, and I hope I can be brave enough! But when you still really want to go to WDW and no one else can/will go with you, you either go, or stay home and wish you were there, right?

That was my exact thought last night!!! I know that my mom would love to go, but cannot swing the cost, and I feel bad that I cannot pay her way. Last night I was thinking that I just wouldn't go, but then I thought to myself why not go?? I have worked hard and deserve a break. I did take her to Disney for halloween about 3 years ago, and it was for 12 days. But I am a christmas fanatic and I just have to see Disney decorated for Christmas.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #43
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
That was my exact thought last night!!! I know that my mom would love to go, but cannot swing the cost, and I feel bad that I cannot pay her way. Last night I was thinking that I just wouldn't go, but then I thought to myself why not go?? I have worked hard and deserve a break. I did take her to Disney for halloween about 3 years ago, and it was for 12 days. But I am a christmas fanatic and I just have to see Disney decorated for Christmas.
I went to WDW last year in November, and did MVMCP and it was great! See it if you can.
I guess I just don't understand people (my friends and relatives, this means you!) who don't love the magic of Disney. What better vacation could there be? Yes, I do take other vacations as well, but WDW is the only place that draws me back time and again.
You have worked hard and you do deserve a break! Hope you decide to go...
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #44
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I went to WDW last year in November, and did MVMCP and it was great! See it if you can.
I guess I just don't understand people (my friends and relatives, this means you!) who don't love the magic of Disney. What better vacation could there be? Yes, I do take other vacations as well, but WDW is the only place that draws me back time and again.
You have worked hard and you do deserve a break! Hope you decide to go...
I plan on definitely doing MVMCP and the Candlelight Processional! How long do you normally go on your solo trip? At first I was going to do 5 nights and do a park each day, but now I am thinking of 7 days and do a day of hotel hopping to see the decorations. I definitely want to see the giant gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian. I would be staying at Pop.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #45
Suelala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1 View Post
I plan on definitely doing MVMCP and the Candlelight Processional! How long do you normally go on your solo trip? At first I was going to do 5 nights and do a park each day, but now I am thinking of 7 days and do a day of hotel hopping to see the decorations. I definitely want to see the giant gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian. I would be staying at Pop.
Actually, this fall will be my first solo trip! It was slated for last year, but my (adult) daughter was able to go with me. That was our first mother-daughter trip and we had a wonderful time.
I am planning to stay for 10 days...hope that isn't too long for solo. I figure I still want to see most everything I usually do, and add in some new things, and this time, I am going to add in 1 or maybe 2 days to just hang out by the pool and read, swim, maybe go to DTD and have lunch and shop a little, or even see a movie. I love to hotel hop and maybe I could fit that in too! We stayed at Pop last time, but I am thinking of trying POFQ this time, since I plan to spend more time at the resort. Wish I could afford a deluxe, but that just is too much $$.
I will go to Epcot twice (favorite), DHS 1 1/2 days, AK once and MK twice. Sounds like you are going in December...I am not sure yet if I will go the end of October or first week of December. Loved all the Christmas décor and MVMCP last year, but it wasn't in full swing the 2nd week of November.
Hope you go, and have a great time!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: