Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
seadd67
DIS Veteran

How do you get past the feeling that someone should be there with you??
Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

You can arrange to meet up from time to time with other solos from here!
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
MrKDilkington
Earning My Ears

I am planning to post reports of my trip from May 11-18 and I have never been before but the more and more I am reading on this forum the more I am realizing that die hard Disney fans (like myself ) find ways to have a good time even by themselves. Granted I would rather have someone there to enjoy the magic with me but hey you only live once so why wait on someone else to take your dream vacation?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuck001 View Post
You can arrange to meet up from time to time with other solos from here!
yep but beware ONE CAN MAKE LIFELONG FRIENDS BY DOING THIS..Hi Daisy Duck

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Hi Geffric! We sure had some great times in years past! Even though you didn't think you can get over there for my April trip, hope to see you there some other time. I'm thinking my next trip after April 2013 may be October 2014.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
seadd67
DIS Veteran

Ya that's a good Idea trying to meet up with other Dis solo travelers, as Oct gets a little closer I will see whos going.. I am a TS eatter at WDW and plan my parks around my ADR's so do you all still make ADR for your trips if your solo?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
AuroraRora
Princess

I didn't on my last solo trip (it was also my first solo trip) because I was nervous about doing TS alone and it was all new to me too - my family would do one or two TS dinners max, over a three-week vacation so I was very used to CS meals. I did BOG for lunch though and loved it, so for my solo trip in May I have a few booked. For my Oct trip I'm hoping for Free Dining and if that doesn't happen I'll get the DDP, and make good use of it!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #23
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadd67 View Post
Ya that's a good Idea trying to meet up with other Dis solo travelers, as Oct gets a little closer I will see whos going.. I am a TS eatter at WDW and plan my parks around my ADR's so do you all still make ADR for your trips if your solo?
Yes, I make ADR's for my solo trips.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
HDLady
Live 20 miles from WDW!

My take on this...

I'm a local and married but, because my husband isn't quite as fanatical about WDW as I am, I frequently spend a few hours at WDW by myself. Even when with my husband or friends who come to visit there are times when we split up in the park to do different things. Taking a whole solo trip is just an extension of this. I find when I'm by myself, more opportunities are presented to chat with strangers or Cast Members: on a ride queue line or while waiting for transportation, while playing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom or Phineas and Ferb, on line at quick service restaurants, etc. I've found virtually no one who won't chat chat and often the other person initiates the conversation. If you want to get to a park at rope drop, go for it. If you want to sleep in, fine. Just go and have fun - do whatever you enjoy and think of it as liberating that you don't need to compromise what you want to do so the other person/people you usually go with can do what they want.

First visit was 1984 and instantly hooked! Before moving to Central FL in 2003, visited WDW at least 1 or 2 times a year.
Have stayed at Caribbean Beach (4X), Grand Floridian (3X), DVC Old Key West (numerous times - home resort), DVC Villas at Animal Kingdom Lodge, DVC Boardwalk Villas, DVC Bay Lake Towers, DVC Villas at Wilderness Lodge.
Annual Passholder since 1990, DVC owner since April 1994
HDLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
ChattaAlley
DIS Veteran

Just pick me up on your way down....I live only 2 hours from Nashville . Have a great trip. I think I would like doing a solo trip. Maybe one day.

With a little bit of PixieDust anything is possible . . .
ChattaAlley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
Suelala
Mouseketeer

I am (nervously) planning a solo trip for the first time. Glad to have found this thread! Last November, I booked a solo trip, but my daughter ended up meeting me there and we had a great time. This year, though, no one is interested in or able to go...and I still want to go, so...going to have to go solo.
I plan to stay about 10 days, so that I can do things leisurely. I hope that wont be too long to be alone! Some of the things that I think I will enjoy as a solo are: sleeping in when I want to. More people watching. Taking the "Keys to the Kingdom"tour (no one else is ever interested) and the "Behind the Seeds" tour. Taking more time to look at the architecture and the little details, such as reading the windows on the Main Street buildings. Catching all of the films at Epcot, and all of the scheduled things like Off Kilter and the hilarious group at Italy. Eating a Mickey Ears ice cream bar everyday, with no one else watching my weight! Talking to more cm's. Shopping to my heart's content. Taking tons of photos, some I have actually not taken before!
The things I worry about are: no one to talk to. No one to point out the fun stuff to. Eating in the table service restaurants.
I will keep my eye on this board, can't wait for more ideas from you!
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

As many have mentioned already about their spouses, my DH is not near a fan of Disney as I am. Add to that my love of solitude and you have a great recipe for a wonderful solo trip. I always plan my annual solo trip around the first week of December when WDW Today and, every other year, DisUnplugged have a few fun events planned. I figure that is the best of both worlds. I can be with people when I want and be alone when I want.

This is when I go to all the attractions my family whines about doing, i.e. Hall of Presidents, Beauty and the Beast show, American Adventure, and so on and so on.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
nutz2notz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadd67 View Post
For my first solo trip, I made ADRs before I went and ended up cancelling all of them and ate only at CS. I was determined to eat at table service next time. Then I went on my second solo trip last December and had wonderful meals. I made ADR's at Le Cellier, Yak & Yeti, Kona's and Liberty Tree Tavern and made it to all of them. The service was great and the food was yummy.

I will definitely be making ADRs on my next solo trip, whenever that ends up to be.
March 2011: OKW First Solo
Janaury 2011: SSR then AKV Kidani
January 2010: Grand Californian
December 2007: SSR
January 2007: SSR
January 1996: Offsite
nutz2notz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #29
Bete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKDilkington View Post
I have been a handful of times before and am still actually a bit reluctant to go solo, but frankly I am tired of waiting around for someone to go with me and missing out on all of the magic! I will be getting an annual pass and making this my year o Disney, going every opportunity I get. My first trip is going to be May 11th through the 17th.

Now as I might have the ear of some veteran solo adventurers...what do you find gives you the most enjoyable time? Would it be making a complete touring plan and sticking to it? Or maybe just going in with a general idea of the things you want to do and going with the flow?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I feel going during special events is the best way. Food and Wine Festival and the Flower and Garden Show are great times. Christmas time is good, too. You have more activities at those times; so, you can get absorbed into all those events. There are lectures and parties to attend with those events.

Doing some special activities really helps like Lunch with an Imagineer at the Brown Derby. There are tours to do, as well. Keeping busy is a key for my enjoyment as a soloist. By the time I get back to the room I go to sleep.

If I get really lonely, I'll make a few calls back home. Sometimes, I have the courage to start up a conversation with someone else at the park and that helps some of the lonely moments. Some of the best times for this is when you wait in a long line or you are seeing a parade or fireworks. I want to get brave enough to approach another solo traveller at a table service and see if they want to eat together. The timing of it is crucial though; so, this is not so easy to accomplish. I like doing postcards to everyone and that helps the time back at the resort. Take pictures and video at the parks; this keeps you active and you don't think about being alone that way. Reading or doing your I-pad is okay, too.

I'm at a point where I either don't have people who can afford to go with me, or people who would have a hard time being there with all the walking involved (some will scooter, some won't) or others who are just not that interested in going there. There are some who are just too lazy for a trip to Disney World. My hubby has been by partner for many trips, but his heart is not in it anymore. I know the day is coming where I will have to go solo more often or not go. I wish I could offer to pay someone's way all the time, but that's not to doable, either. I did it once when there was free dining, but it seems that free dining is not happening any more. I will say that trip was one of the worse; because, the person didn't really care about being there after the first day. They were more interested in smoking or texting or calling back home than being at Disney. Originally, they were eager to be there, but that wore out very fast. And it wasn't having me as a companion that made it unenjoyable; this person was just happier staying in the room and sleeping or watching TV. I still have bad memories about that trip. This person fooled me about going there and I won't do it again.

I will say I enjoyed most of the time on my solo trip, but there were some lonely moments. I do feel I prefer going with someone to Disney World, but I realize this will not happen too much in my future. I will say I rather go alone, then not at all. I think it gets easier to do it on each trip you take alone.

AAA has a special vacation package for solo travelers, now. It doesn't include Disney at this time. I'm probably going to try that sometime in the near future. Everyone is in the same boat and you will have activities to be together with other solo travelers and still have the opportunity to be on your own, too. I think AAA has recognized this as a problem and they are trying to address this issue.

Last edited by Bete; 03-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #30
Suelala
Mouseketeer

I hear you. I don't know anyone who wants to go or can afford to go, but I still want to go! So, I have to suck it up and go alone if I want to go. I cant afford to pay anyones way, either.
I am going to check into AAA....I am interested in seeing what they have to offer, so thanks for mentioning that.
I am thinking of going to the Grand Floridian for tea one afternoon, and then maybe a massage there...that would be a great way to spend an afternoon. Going to try a couple of tours, also. And then there's people watching...that is always fun. I am thinking of carrying a paperback into the park with me, so I can read during a meal or to pass time waiting. I guess I don't care if I will look like a nerd!
Suelala is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: