Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

Looking for any & all tips for camping...

you can send me to threads, links or just tell me what you've learned.

I'm interested in the must haves ....what do I need to make sure I have always when I camp (not just @ FW).

Any food tips - is there something you always cook? Something you've learned just doesn't work camping (takes too long to cook/messy, etc). Would love to know what to cook besides hotdogs & pb&j when we have only a tiny fridge big enough for a dozen eggs & that's it.

Even if you have a tip on how to keep the kids from killing each other in a small space.

I'd love to read whatever, gathering info - our first night will be @ home, then about 30 mins away for a couple of days before venturing out anywhere else in the new to us popup.
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

this is the thread you need to start

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1818140

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam444 View Post
you can send me to threads, links or just tell me what you've learned.

I'm interested in the must haves ....what do I need to make sure I have always when I camp (not just @ FW).

Any food tips - is there something you always cook? Something you've learned just doesn't work camping (takes too long to cook/messy, etc). Would love to know what to cook besides hotdogs & pb&j when we have only a tiny fridge big enough for a dozen eggs & that's it.

Even if you have a tip on how to keep the kids from killing each other in a small space.

I'd love to read whatever, gathering info - our first night will be @ home, then about 30 mins away for a couple of days before venturing out anywhere else in the new to us popup.
I'll give you a suggestion or two.

First we bring an extra cooler to hold whatever the fridge can't. On the first night I like to load up the charcoal grill (most campgrounds have a grill at each site) and cook several nights worth of meat (as long as the charcoal holds out). I'll cook chicken breasts, burgers, hot dogs, brauts, and even fresh fish/shrimp when we're at the beach (we eat that obviously that night). The rest gets put in ziplock storage bags and into the cooler. Always keep the cooler out of the sun to help the ice last the longest (we put ours under a bunk end).

Our popup has a microwave to heat it up but you can quickly heat the meat on the stove top and serve it with a side of pasta, potato salad, instant taters, and the like. We'll put tomatoes or apples or something else on the side that's fresh and doesn't require cooking. This keeps meal prep and clean up quick and simple.

We try not to spend much time in the camper during the day unless it's to escape the heat, bad weather, or night time. We also have in the camper a stash of board games and playing cards. Bingo, Chutes and Ladders, Crazy Eight, Pokeno, etc were our favorites. We tried to leave the tv, mp3 players, ipods, etc either at home or limited their usage.

We are camping after all.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
rajak73
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=bama_ed;47823692]I'll give you a suggestion or two.

First we bring an extra cooler to hold whatever the fridge can't.

We try not to spend much time in the camper during the day unless it's to escape the heat, bad weather, or night time. We also have in the camper a stash of board games and playing cards. Bingo, Chutes and Ladders, Crazy Eight, Pokeno, etc were our favorites. We tried to leave the tv, mp3 players, ipods, etc either at home or limited their usage.

We are camping after all.

Bama ED[/QUOte

Leave the tv, dvd and Sat dish at home..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. LOL
We also bring extra cooler even though we have a nice fridge in the 5er. Some things are just better in the cooler. Bud light for a good example. You might check out RV.net have a lot of good forums on there including camp cooks. Have got some really nice ideas from them. If cooking is your thing, check out dutch oven cooking. Really good food, stew, chili, desserts, etc. Along with bama ed, if weather is nice, we spend very little time in the camper during the day. Welcome to the camping crowd btw.
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
amylevan
DIS Veteran

Ditto about the cooler. Invest in a quality one and it will keep cold for days.

We grill a lot when we camp. And I cheat to make meals, i.e. will grill a chicken and use a bagged salad to make grilled chicken cesar salads. Potatoes in a foil on a campfire are to die for! YUM! I will also bring along the crock pot and cook a meal or 2 in there.

I don't know if your pop up has a stove or not, but we prefer to cook on a coleman stove outside of the camper, particularly when doing something greasy like bacon. It keeps the smells out of the camper and leaves less of a mess. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not sure the stove has ever been used in our 2 yr old camper.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

thanks for the tips! We do have a stove in our popup & a grill that attaches to the outside.

I've camped quite a bit over the years but with my parents & mom did everything & it was a real size camper with full size fridge & decent storage space.

Right now I've got to figure out what kind of containers I need to organize everything.- dish soap, bath supplies all that...then on to the food stuff....
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

We use plastic storage totes for our clothes instead of suitcases (waterproof!). We leave them under the pull outs or even in the bed of the truck and our clothes always stay dry. Don't forget your crock pot! You can cook a lot in it.

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
FloridaTeacher
Now I'm a Guidance Counselor

Take a crockpot. You can throw something in it in the morning and supper is pretty much done. Like Bama Ed said - pair it with a quick and easy side dish. In the summer, we plug it in outside so it doesn't heat up the motor home.

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)
FloridaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Anything you can cook at home I can cook camping.
Then again I grew up cooking in Dutch ovens in boyscouts.

If you want an oven camping CampChef makes a nice portable one.
http://www.campchef.com/outdoor-camp...and-stove.html
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

I would have NEVER thought to take a crockpot! Its so big I invision it being in the way all the time.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
FloridaTeacher
Now I'm a Guidance Counselor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam444 View Post
I would have NEVER thought to take a crockpot! Its so big I invision it being in the way all the time.
It's worth making the space for.

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)
FloridaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
JanL
Native Floridian

If your camper has a stainless steel sink, that is where I would put the crock pot while I am away for the day. If it boils over or spills, it is an easy clean up and also it would make me less nervous about a possible fire (I'm a Nervous Nellie about things being plugged in while I'm away).

I also take a small electric rice cooker so I have something to stick to the ribs and serve under whatever is in the crock pot.

I take a small second cooler just for drinks. That way the main food cooler doesn't get opened except at meal prep time and I try to pack it so the last item in is the first item out. For instance, the Friday night meal is on top, the Sat. breakfast stuff next, then Sat. lunch, then Sat. dinner, and so on. I use tupperware type items, sometimes with zip locks inside for extra protection, but I have yet to have an incident-free outing, LOL.

I also make camping meals at home from left overs of our dinners, layer them in foil packets (meat on bottom, then veggies, then cheese, sauce, or gravy), put the packettes in zip locks and label them with a Sharpie marker and toss them in the freezer. These supliment ice for the cooler and usually stay frozen til the second day when I just reheat them and serve. We often just eat them out of the foil and save on cleanup.

Last edited by JanL; 03-18-2013 at 11:49 AM.
JanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Running_Bell
Mouseketeer

If you are planning to camp a lot, you will find that you will have different supplies for different types of camping. With space being a challenge in a pop up... If you are camping at a statepark with no electric, then a crockpot, coffee pot, etc... is just a space taker. Also, if you are doing just a weekend camp... you may only need minimal things where as a 10 day stay at FW can lead to packing everything but your kitchen sink. Once you start camping a lot, you will get your system down. We keep tubs stored in our basement. Some tubs are the "bring everything" supplies ready to go for longer . The other (smaller) tubs are more the roughing it supplies. It's all trial and error and different for everyone. Have fun....

Returning summer 2014 - FW
August 2013 - Boardwalk & FW
Nov 2010 - Pop & FW
Oct 2009 - FW
Sept 2007 - FW
Sept 2005 - POR & FW
Sept 1997 -All Star Sports
Running_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

We do plan to take many trips ----gotta make it worthwhile - ha!

We won't be taking long trips - never more than a week - but mostly 3-4 days.

I want to figure out what supplies I can pack & leave in the popup....
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
starjazz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
Anything you can cook at home I can cook camping.
Then again I grew up cooking in Dutch ovens in boyscouts.

If you want an oven camping CampChef makes a nice portable one.
http://www.campchef.com/outdoor-camp...and-stove.html
Holy crap!! Did someone say a crock pot was big??!!
starjazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: