DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
bkny
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssawka

Having done both, I must say that I prefer to do a transfer. Basically, once the deal is done, it's done. You elevate any risk of the renters causing damage to their room. One caveat though is that I require full payment before transfering the points. Yes, it puts more risk on the renter, but if something does not go well, I can return the money. The renter cannot return the points.
This is an interesting strategy especially if you are new and just want to get your feet wet. I haven't looked at the rent board but I assume it is an easy process to find someone to transfer from. If you are looking to book at 11 months out should you find someone with the same UY? I know I am missing something here.
bkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkny View Post
This is an interesting strategy especially if you are new and just want to get your feet wet. I haven't looked at the rent board but I assume it is an easy process to find someone to transfer from. If you are looking to book at 11 months out should you find someone with the same UY? I know I am missing something here.
UY really doesn't matter as long as the points will be current and available at the time of the trip (they cannot be borrowed or banked points). You get the 11 month advantage regardless of what your use year is. For example, if you have a February UY and your transferring in points with an April UY and making a reservation for June, that would be fine because the points would be current in June. The same holds true if your UY is April and you are transferring in February UY points.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkny View Post
I haven't looked at the rent board but I assume it is an easy process to find someone to transfer from. If you are looking to book at 11 months out should you find someone with the same UY? I know I am missing something here.
if you are looking to book at 11 months out you need to find pts with the right HOME RESORT. doesn't matter if you own a contract at BLT (or whatever)...if you transfer in OKW pts, then those transferred pts are only valid for booking OKW at 11 months out. (some suggest you think of it in terms of currency - you need the correct kind.)

given that members are limited to 1 transfer per UY (either in or out, not both), it is not a sure thing that you will be able to transfer in pts that fit your home resort requirements...for the right number of pts and within the correct UY (as stated, only "current" pts can be transferred - not banked or borrowed - and then once received, you can bank transferred pts forward one UY, but you cannot borrow transferred pts).

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitwnnole View Post
I actually just got confirmation on a 25 point contract today. I did this so that I could buy a little at a time on a cash only basis. I am real excited and look forward to adding more soon LOL

25 point ones are hard to find. I had a hard time getting a couple of 50 point ones to bite on my offers and found they all went for asking price
I did this also...bought a 25 point resale at OKW when minimum buy in was 160. I sepcifically wanted VGC but wanted to get points in small increments as add ons, not a big 160 chunk. So..rented out the OKW points, then when VGC came out bought a 60 and 65 poiont contract then added on 2 50s, then just this month a 65 point direct and a 125 point resale (didn't dream the long direct waitlist and impulse resale bid would both come through!) Along the way I sold the OKW and came out pretty much even. But here you have it and there may come a time when renting points out or transfering to others could be an option, so I'm interested in opinions on this thread.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: