Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Kelnick
Mouseketeer

At what age?

We have been to WDW the last three Years and are going again in October. My daughter will be 5. I am considering a day at Universal. Is there a good amount that a 5 yo would be interested in and what park do small children seem to prefer?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

The Theme Parks Community board leans more towards the Disney parks. I think you'll get more responses on our Universal Studios board, so I've moved your thread to here.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

check out www.universalorlando.com for what is in the park and height requirements for rides.

it's a toss up on which park, IOA or the Studios is best.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
glocon
DIS Veteran

My son was 6 the first time we visited UO, and though very much a NOT adventurous child, he did just about every ride there. Except of course for the Hulk, Dueling Dragons and Dr. Doom. Actually not even the little kid roller coaster. But he did everything else. He was quite the ride chicken, but if your child does most of Disney's things, then he can do most of UO also.

Except of course for the above mentioned.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
ukool
Mouseketeer

I would think IAO would be better, thiers Seuss landing which looks like a great kids area. Havnt been myself - yet. This is based on the info iv seen online.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
mamabear0222
Countdown to 2014 trip

I'm interested in this thread too. Seuss seems interesting and my DS I bet will like Spider-Man and transformers...hmmmm

Sent from my Samsung S3 using DISBoards
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
SYDCOLEMOM
Mouseketeer

My daughter is 9 and we have been going to Universal / IOA for a few days during each Disney trip over the last five years. She has been going since she was 4. I will have to say she prefers IOA even now (for sure when she was younger). Suess Landing is one of her favorite spots!
SYDCOLEMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

We waited till Dd was 8 to go to Universal.I wanted to wait till she was tall enough for most attractions( she is really petite)..plus she is pretty timid when it comes to rides.That said, there are things to do for the younger kids and I have seen plenty of young little ones there.I think it is a personal decision as to when to go
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Last time we were in florida my youngest son was 3 turning 4. We chose not to go to universal even though we also had a seven year old. We didnt think he would be able to ride very much We are going this year since the boys are now 10 and 7.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
Courtpaige
Earning My Ears

We just returned home from UO/IoA. We took my 5 year old and 2 year old daughters. 5 year old loved every single moment. She could ride more of the rides than I expected. She is a bit of a daredevil, so roller coasters and things like that don't phase her. She loves them. She loved Spiderman. A lot. The only things she didn't go on were the big thrill coasters/big drop rides. We also chose to not allow her to ride the Mummy. Husband went on first and thought it might be too dark/spooky for her. Other than those, she loved it all. She did say her favorite ride was the Cat in the Hat ride or ET.

Depending on the child's personality, 5 is a great age. There is still the innocence and wonder at the characters (who we had tons of interaction with)
Courtpaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
deanimal
DIS Veteran

We went in February, adding a day at Universal to our two week (mostly) Disney trip. Our kids are 3 and 4 and we decided to leave the kids with my parents, who were traveling with us, for the day. I think it was a good call since we agreed that aside from Seuss landing, there wasn't much they would've liked. We were mainly interested in WWoHP ourselves and since the kids have had no exposure to the books, they probably would've been begging to leave that area long before we were ready. I think if we hadn't had the grandparent option we would've been best off skipping Universal for that age. It's a lot of money for a one day ticket for a preschooler too!
Of course every kid is different. If your child loves superheroes, dinosaurs, comic book characters or "real" roller coasters they'd probably love it. And Seuss landing was pretty awesome for little ones if you do decide to go.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: