Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Port Orleans resort with food allergies

So we just made reservations for a birthday trip in June. My mom did not want to stay at POP again so we are staying at Port Orleans Riverside.

My question is....POP was wonderful with my food allergies....how is POR?
Will I be able to get allergy waffles?

That's really all I care about. And do they have allergy chicken tenders as well?

We are going to be eating breakfast there every morning and lunch probably twice and dinner once.

My allergies are: peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, oats, coconut, sesame, sunflower seeds (not oil), soy protein (not soy lechitin or soybean oil), broccoli, all raw fruits (except grapes) and all raw vegetables.
And we are not sure about dairy yet. I am getting tested in a few weeks to determine if it is an allergy or just lactose intolerance.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

well the old POR food court use to make the hamburgers in front of you - so had no problems -

what I do - is put all my allergies on a list - include your name, resort and if you remember room number.

then ask for the chef at the places where you want to eat - give the list to him - wait while he reads it - just in case of questions.

be prepared for the rest of your life reading the ingredients in package and anything frozen or prepared. You can't count on the ingredients being the same from week to week. Got an awful allergy reaction when a bread company changed the ingredients.

be patient - he has to wash down everything he used to be sure of no cross (can't spell the darn word) - to be sure that nothing you are allergy to is in the food you will eat.

one reason hate to eat with others - because my food order will make their be late...

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
well the old POR food court use to make the hamburgers in front of you - so had no problems -

what I do - is put all my allergies on a list - include your name, resort and if you remember room number.

then ask for the chef at the places where you want to eat - give the list to him - wait while he reads it - just in case of questions.

be prepared for the rest of your life reading the ingredients in package and anything frozen or prepared. You can't count on the ingredients being the same from week to week. Got an awful allergy reaction when a bread company changed the ingredients.

be patient - he has to wash down everything he used to be sure of no cross (can't spell the darn word) - to be sure that nothing you are allergy to is in the food you will eat.

one reason hate to eat with others - because my food order will make their be late...
Oh I always read ingredients n everything every time I buy it. I have been dealing with life threatening allergies since 2008. But it's just in the past 8 months that it's grown from 3 allergies to over a dozen.

Luckily I'm only traveling with my parents so they don't mind waiting for my food. And we are really only doing breakfasts and 2 lunches at the food court and breakfast I will be going by myself early to get what I want before it gets crowded.
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

At POFQ we were able to get allergy Mickey waffles but back when we stayed there they used the Bob's Red Mill mix and not the Namaste or a mixture. I know that would be a problem for you. My understanding is that POR tends to use the exact same products at POFQ.

I know you don't feel it's necessary to contact chefs ahead of time, but this is a case where I would make sure to ask if POR will have Namaste mix available during your stay. If notified ahead of time, I'm sure the the chefs would make sure to have it on hand for you if they don't normally carry it.

As far as I know, the only resort food court that doesn't carry the chicken tenders is AoA. POR did have them when we last stayed at POFQ.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

I ate breakfast at POR in October while my kids were doing the Pirate Adventure Cruise. The chef didn't know I was coming so I didn't expect much but he warble to make me pancakes safe from gluten, egg and dairy.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
At POFQ we were able to get allergy Mickey waffles but back when we stayed there they used the Bob's Red Mill mix and not the Namaste or a mixture. I know that would be a problem for you. My understanding is that POR tends to use the exact same products at POFQ.

I know you don't feel it's necessary to contact chefs ahead of time, but this is a case where I would make sure to ask if POR will have Namaste mix available during your stay. If notified ahead of time, I'm sure the the chefs would make sure to have it on hand for you if they don't normally carry it.

As far as I know, the only resort food court that doesn't carry the chicken tenders is AoA. POR did have them when we last stayed at POFQ.
Okay. Thanks. Yeah I'll definitely contact the chefs to try and get namaste mix. That and the allergy tenders are like the two things that I really care about.otherwise I'm not too picky but man...I love me some Mickey waffles!!

How do I go about contacting the chef at POR? And how far in advance should I do it? We leave in like 14 weeks....
Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I contact chefs by emailing Special Diets and asking specific questions or asking to speak with a chef at specific locations. These days it seems to take several emails with the same question(s) to get somebody to recognize that I actually have specific questions but eventually I do typically get my answers or a call from a chef to go over my concerns.

I typically try not to contact Special Diets more than 1.5 months out because I know they're going to also send those lists of theirs and I figure they're more likely to still be accurate when we go if I get them closer to my trip. This most recent trip they asked that I wait until I think it was no more than 30 days out to send in my completed dining form so maybe more like 1 month out would be better.

I answered your pasta question in your dining board thread. Yes they do have GF pasta at POR and yes they can do the create your own pasta in the kitchen for you.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
cynzilla
Syringomyelia.....not just a disease, but an adventure!

Watch out!!!!!!

Hi Dis Fan,

We stay at POR 2x a year and I have food allergies. The Chefs there are faboo! If you are lucky to get Chef Dave, he is absolutely wonderful there, he will listen and make sure whatever you need and go above what you would need and like. I got a breakfast platter one morning that could've fed 4 people, and he made sure to come and check that I enjoyed everything!

Now for the bad..."Chef" Page. I have actually reported him to Special Diets (written and phone calls) for his carelessness with handling allergy requests. The first (usually) 3 days of the trip I am slow moving in the A.M. hours, my family goes and enjoys breakfast at the food court and brings me back something.

However, with every encounter I have had with him, and ask him to make dairy free eggs, he tells me that the "regular eggs being served in the line are fine" Or the "regular pancakes don't have milk." I pointed out to him that each and every time my husband had ordered for me and brought back to the room, he would personally cook a scrambled egg in an UNUSED frying pan or use Bob's and make dairy free pancakes!! He has told me such things as "we've changed the mix today" or "don't worry about it" as I was watching one teenager server/worker use the same utensils to grab buttermilk biscuits and then a scoop of eggs. This has occurred the last three trips. "Chef" Page had also when I asked for a muffuletta, simply peeled off the cheese and handed me the sandwich!!!!

I have never had problems with any of the other Chefs at that location except for Page. I don't quite know what his deal is, but my upcoming trip I am going to ask if he is the "Chef" on duty and may think about scooting next door to the French Quarter!
cynzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

disney is very serious about allergies - now I have had food allergies since the 1970 (okay that when they were found) - Disney is those days did not really see it as a problem - so got sick alot when eating out.

one reason why brought DVC - so could control what I eat.

now because of so many children with food allergies Disney has changed their plan - more chefs will try to do what you need - if they don't definitely write to Disney and find out why that chef is still employed with them.

or if you get sick like I do (pepper) - it acts like food poisoning to my system - just go visit him when he is saying it does not matter. - if you have my problem you will clean out the restaurant.

write to the resort manager at POR - write to the head dinning chef - yes there is one - also write to Disney Resort VP - and tell him what a good customer you have been - so why is Disney trying to poison you.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: