Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Vickyrowe
Only 4 Months Until My Birthday Trip !!!!!

Random Teppan Edo question

We are a party of 5 adults , one of which ( my DH ) uses a large wheelchair

From photos I can see that the tables seat 8, we would be happy to share with another party but.........

My husband suffers from a startle reflex disorder which means he will jump at loud noises , especially if they are right next to him.

Would we be able to ask the chef not to bang his knives etc. on the hot plate

( I know the other chefs will be doing it before I get , flamed. and I'm not asking every chef to stop , just the one for our table)

but I wouldn't want to ruin anyone else's meal if they do not get the full show

Thanks Vicky
Vickyrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can ask the server to alert the chef that due to your husband's condition they should not bang the utensils they use to cook on the hot plate.

However, your table will not be the only table in the room. Will he be bothered by hearing the noise coming from other tables?

I haven't the slightest idea if this will bother anyone else at the table or if the chefs will even be able to cook the way they are used to without banging the utensils on the plate. The secret to hibachi cooking is to move the food rapidly over the very hot plate. I'm not sure how they can be asked to NOT bang metal utensils on a metal plate.

if that is the case, you may want to choose another restaurant.
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Vickyrowe

As it will blend into the background noise the tables around us will be ok, it's just noise right by him mainly .

for example , sudden noises like sneezing / dropping something / dog barking

Obviously we cannot control most things, but it's nice to minimize the jumping if we can , as if he jumps too much his muscles will spasm and we will have to leave and go back to the room to calm him down

Which we'd like to avoid :D
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I think you should choose another restaurant. I can't see how the chef would have any idea how much noise they could safely make.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Rhythmic banging really is part of the show. I'm not sure how this could be toned down without dampening the expectations of other diners at the table who may have been waiting 180 days for "The Full Monty". If there is a way to book the whole cooktop, you could ask for a quieter meal. Otherwise, your request would be a bit like sharing a table at The Crystal Palace with another family but asking the hostess to tell the characters not to visit the table. Sorry.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

To be honest if you eat here, I think you are running the risk of what you are trying to avoid and your husband might have to go back to the room. There is also the issue of the other diners at the table not being able to enjoy the full show. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
memakwed
Mouseketeer

go for it

I wonder if you do hibachi restaurants at home? If so, I am sure you have asked for them not to clang the utensils. Did they accomodate without it affecting the presentation negatively. I will say if we were seated with your family I would not be disappointed in less clanging of the utensils. There will still be flames and steam volcanoes. If our table played out differently than the others I would probably put 2 and 2 together and know it was for a reason and not feel my expereince was lack luster. While you are being considerate to think of other strangers enjoyment and vacation you are allowed to enjoy your as well. Knowing your family would like it is not to much to ask to eat here you should try it. If your husband can tolerate the background noise but just not what's right up in front of him and you know this and believe he can enjoy himself at this restaurant go enjoy the restaurant. While I understand others want their vacation their way you deserve yours too. Good luck.
memakwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Vickyrowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by memakwed View Post
I wonder if you do hibachi restaurants at home? If so, I am sure you have asked for them not to clang the utensils. Did they accomodate without it affecting the presentation negatively. I will say if we were seated with your family I would not be disappointed in less clanging of the utensils. There will still be flames and steam volcanoes. If our table played out differently than the others I would probably put 2 and 2 together and know it was for a reason and not feel my expereince was lack luster. While you are being considerate to think of other strangers enjoyment and vacation you are allowed to enjoy your as well. Knowing your family would like tNot to much to asko eat here you should try it. If your husband can tolerate the background noise but just not what's right up in front of him and you know this and believe he can enjoy himself at this restaurant go enjoy the restaurant. While I understand others want their vacation their way you deserve yours too. Good luck.
Thank you for your kind words, We are from the UK so restaurants like this are not the norm I'm afraid so it will be a new experience for us.

He is fine when out in other restaurants and bars etc. and goes to nightclubs etc, so i'm confident that noise from other tables will be ok as it tends to blend into one.

I know 95% of people would understand that we work slightly differently to most people and be ok but unfortunately we tend to meet the 5% who have no understanding or are not willing to compromise etc.

We travel with a carer at all time who is being paid so if needs be my husband can leave and sort any issues out while i look after my In-laws , so we are prepared for any issues that arise

but it's like travelling with small children , you just like to try and be one step ahead of the game

Thanks Vicky
Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
mb_uh
DIS Veteran

I really think you should choose another restaurant. This is probably the only one in Disney where this would be a problem. Many chefs probably have little understanding of English and server may have difficulty explaining it to them sine they are relaying a message. Typically guest are pretty close at these type of restaurants so if there were to be a problem it could be dangerous. And while I am full disability requests being offered, I recently went to a Hibachi restaurant where the other family asked for no onions- so our rice ended up with double under cooked onions so then our kids did not like their rice as much as normal. Then we did not get any onions with our veg which is my favorite veg in the mix. So to accommodate them we had a lesser meal that cost us the same.

I think I another family might be upset to not get the show, sorry.
mb_uh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

We wouldn't have a problem sharing a table with you & toning down the presentation, but we've been to many teppanyaki restaurants. Honestly, I don't think the experience is worth the stress you may feel worrying that something will go wrong. If it were me, I would choose a safer restaurant, so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Epcot has some very good restaurants to choose from that wouldn't pose a problem for you. I hope you have a great experience at whatever restaurant you choose.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
brertoad
DIS Veteran

I think I have might have a solution. Buy a box of earplugs before you go on vacation, just in case the enviroment is too loud, he can pop in 2 earplugs and it will quiet the surroundings by about 28 decibels. This should be more than enough to soften the loud banging of the chefs, and enough to make those noises from your own teppanyaki table quiet enough for him to enjoy the entertainment. The earplugs may be enough to keep him comfortable and keep his muscles in a relaxed state, where he and the family don't have to worry about leaving dinner.

Also great to have earplugs for watching fireworks.

Plus you all can get a better night's sleep with earplugs. Most of the hotels are noisy and the walls aren't enough to keep the noise down.

Best wishes for you and your family on your trip.
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Have you ever eaten at a hibachi restaurant before (I know you said they're not common in the UK)? I'm another who thinks that this is a really poor choice for your group. First, inherent at a hibachi restaurant is the fact that you eat with other people. So, you will be sharing a table with another party. If you ask the chef to modify his or her routine, you'll be taking away from the experience of the others at your table, which really isn't fair.

Also, I agree with the previous poster who said that the CMs at the restaurant may have a hard time even understanding your request. They're very, very Japanese and there is definitely a language barrier. English isn't their first language. It probably leads to a more authentic experience, but we were honestly surprised at what a tough time all the CMs there seemed to have understanding anything that wasn't on the menu that we could point to.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #13
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

I would suggest noise canceling headphones to block out more sound than just regular earplugs. The only time he would need to interact with a CM or the Chef is when he is ordering his drink and choice of entree. Beyond that, he doesn't need to hear anything and he can just watch the show. In this way, other guests at your table get the full experience of hibachi dining and your husband can be a part of it too!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #14
DVCFan1994
Mouseketeer

Two things, not all chefs at Teppan Edo will have trouble communicating with you as some have said. My last chef, who was awesome, was from Panama City and had a Southern accent. His family was from Japan. So clearly there would be cast members you could speak to that would be able to communicate clearly with you about this issue. I've spoken to managers as well who were fully fluent in English.

However, I am torn about recommending this restaurant for you. The chef's show of slicing, tossing and mixing of the food is the main attraction for many going to this restaurant. You are aware of that. As a pp said you could easily be seated with someone who has held the ADR for 180 days specifically because of the "show" aspect of it. You have no way of knowing or arranging for that part in advance. The food is fine, not outstanding . We go because our kids like the show. If we didn't care about the show we'd go elsewhere. I fully believe those with disabilities should be fully accommodated when possible. But in this case the accommodation for you could negate the entire reason for a trip to that restaurant for another family. I think if you are willing to make the adjustments someone else has recommended, headphones, ear plugs, then you should go. Otherwise, I think it is very hard to recommend Teppan Edo for you.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
Darkside
Mouseketeer

Loud

Teppen Edo is just a loud restaurant. Love the restaurant, but it is one of the louder ones on Disney property.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: