Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #31
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensamo View Post
They also know the best use of space in the rooms! On our third or fourth cruise, we had managed to accumulate a large number of lanyards (DD's pin-trading lanyard, plus 3 repeat cruise lanyards and 3 DVC lanyards). We couldn't figure out where to store them - until we came back after turn-down one evening to find them hanging from the lights on either side of the mirror over the desk! Great idea - they were easy to find, didn't interfere with anything, and were out of the way in a place that they wouldn't get lost. I wouldn't have ever thought of it, but it worked out great! !
On our last cruise we all got the Pom poms at the sail away party and left them on the desk. The next morning after the room was cleaned they were gone. We assumed that our room steward tossed them or collected them for the next sailing. Took us 3 days before we noticed them "attached" to the lights above the desk :Rolf:
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #32
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
This is a really good point, we will just talk to them. We aren't opposed to the host ever coming in, it's just after reading posts for the last couple of years, it sounded like they are in and out all day long and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would need to be in and out so much.
It seemed to me like ours was in twice; once to clean up and put DS's bed back up into the ceiling (what a weird thing to write), then while we were at show/dinner to pull the bed back down and put out chocolates, etc. We were staying concierge and once or twice they needed to put something in the room, and I think they have the steward do that, too, but I'm sure those are trips that take just a moment.

Basically they'll put your Navigators in the room, if you own DVC and they've figured out you're on the ship they'll leave you notices and lanyards and chocolates, etc etc. It's like getting little gifts sometimes. And of course the last night they leave the envelopes to put your tip slips (and any extra cash you might want to put in them) in. They aren't just cleaning, but leaving stuff we want to have left.
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #33
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

They're in at least twice a day, for the morning cleaning, bed-making, new towels routine, and then in the evening for turn-down and leaving the next day's cruise program. There may also be maintenance issues that require an extra visit.

Room stewards are one of the big reasons we prefer cruising over land-based resorts for vacations with little ones. Your room attendant really will work around your schedule. For us, DS takes naps, and he NEEDS his post-lunch nap. He will crash hard and get super crabby and emotional if he does not go down for a nap at his allotted time. So it's very frustrating to have room service in full-on cleaning mode when we come back to our room with a sleepy child. At one very nice resort, I could not get housekeeping to leave. I slipped her $10 cash to just leave a few towels and go, little one needs his nap. She stayed an extra 15 minutes, emptying trash, tidying up. It was just so annoying. I understand it was her job, but when you're bouncing a cranky toddler, waiting for the wailing to start . . .

On cruise ships, we've only ever had to explain once what DS's nap schedule was, and then there was never a problem with the room being occupied when we needed it. The room attendant tended to tidy up after naps, too, which really wasn't necessary, but that was another instance where we'd get an extra visit to the room.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #34
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ
Thank you all SO MUCH for your thoughtful replies. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply. I now have a much better understanding of what the hosts do and can visualize it now.

One more question....if we are in our room, is there a way to block others from coming in? Our 13yo DD said she may want to stay in our room sometimes. I couldn't leave her there unless I know there is a way to block out the host. She *thinks* she won't want to be in the club all the time, but I know her and know that is where she will be ALL the time, but still thought I'd ask about the door lock. Thanks so much in advance for your replies on this question.
Apart from the morning cleaning (or afternoon if you are a sleepyhead) and the evening turn down service, the stewards tend to stay away. They have delivered items before, but last cruise they either left it during one of the cleanings or stopped by and knocked. If you don't want to be bothered (maybe you are changing or showering and no one else is in the room), just put the privacy sign out. No issues. Last time they needed to do maintenance, They called prior to them coming in. While that doesn't help if you're away, but this would give you a warning that they need to enter your room while you're in it.This past cruise, our neighbors had some issues with their bathrooms, and since they were somehow connected with ours, they needed into our bathrooms. They called beforehand to tell us, and so we decided to go explore.

So if your DD is there alone, she can lock the door and put the sign on the door, and no one should even knock!

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)

Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #35
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but the room stewards also leave your navigators for the next day on your bed for you the night before, and on special nights like Pirate night, they leave your pirate head wrap. If you had your do not disturb sign up, you'd probably have to go to guest services to get all of the things that your steward would have left for you each night. That could be a hassle!

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #36
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

So, if DD was there alone and maintenance needed to come in, would they still come in if DND was on door or would they just keep trying to reach us by ohone or by knocking when the DND sign wasn't on the door. I don't have a lot of peace about her being alone so I want to be sure NO ONE gains entrance while she is alone. If there is a chance of someone having to come in, we wouldn't allow her to stay there alone. I hope I'm expressing this clearly!
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #37
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
So, if DD was there alone and maintenance needed to come in, would they still come in if DND was on door or would they just keep trying to reach us by ohone or by knocking when the DND sign wasn't on the door. I don't have a lot of peace about her being alone so I want to be sure NO ONE gains entrance while she is alone. If there is a chance of someone having to come in, we wouldn't allow her to stay there alone. I hope I'm expressing this clearly!
We found that, with the DND sign on the door, they won't even knock.

One other thing, not mentioned, that they will leave your information about upcoming excursions your are doing and your tickets to Palo/Remy. We always looked forward to coming to our room after dinner to get our Navigators, bedtime chocolates and see the what towel animal they had created. I loved they they would sometimes put my husbands hat on the towel animals.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #38
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The door is likely boltable. NOBODY could get in, even you, when that bolt is engaged. You can tell her to lock the door when you leave and you will knock and identify yourself when you come back.

OTOH, if she's old enough to bolt the door, she's probably old enough to be trusted by herself. What has you so paranoid about other people? Most people in this world are not actually evil. And I imagine the chance of anybody of any age having a serious criminal problem with staff on a Disney cruise is non-existent.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #39
disney1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillWaters View Post
The door is likely boltable. NOBODY could get in, even you, when that bolt is engaged. You can tell her to lock the door when you leave and you will knock and identify yourself when you come back.

OTOH, if she's old enough to bolt the door, she's probably old enough to be trusted by herself. What has you so paranoid about other people? Most people in this world are not actually evil. And I imagine the chance of anybody of any age having a serious criminal problem with staff on a Disney cruise is non-existent.
Just be sure that she isn't like my DD was at 13. Once she fell asleep, no amount of knocking on the door would have woke her up. She could sleep through a smoke detector going off in the hallway outside her bedroom. So, if she had locked the deadbolt, we would never have been able to wake her up to enter the Stateroom.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #40
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What has you so paranoid about other people?
Something bad enough that I don't ever want the same to happen to my daughter.

Quote:
Most people in this world are not actually evil.
You are so right and prayerfully not on a Disney cruise! But some are, and I don't want my daughter to encounter them on the ship or anywhere else!

Thanks so much again, everyone! You have really helped me a lot. We LOVE amazing service and it sounds like we will get it on our cruise. I just love knowing how it works with the host/hostess. Thanks so much again!!
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #41
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
One other thing, not mentioned, that they will leave your information about upcoming excursions your are doing and your tickets to Palo/Remy.
Thinking about things after reading your post, I remember seeing envelopes and things like that stuck up on the "fish" (which on our floor was actually a starfish). So probably that stateroom had their DND sign up all day, and that's the way the steward left their spa, etc, info for them.

I wouldn't worry about a decently mature 13 year old in a stateroom.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #42
DillWaters
Mouseketeer

Quote:

You are so right and prayerfully not on a Disney cruise! But some are, and I don't want my daughter to encounter them on the ship or anywhere else!

Thanks so much again, everyone! You have really helped me a lot. We LOVE amazing service and it sounds like we will get it on our cruise. I just love knowing how it works with the host/hostess. Thanks so much again!!
Okay, how you raise your child is your choice, not mine or anyone else's and I will respectfully withdraw my question. I actually wrote a couple paragraphs before coming to this realization and decided to delete them from my post because it is none of my business.
DillWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #43
disney1990

Quote:

Carrie, I am sure, with careful planning and instructions for your DD, that you will have a wonderful cruise. Disney cruises are wonderful, but it is always a good idea to take no chances.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #44
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!

If the DnD sign is up, I doubt they will attempt to enter or knock, unless there is an emergency. As with anything, this would need to be instructed to your daughter. If she locks the door from the inside, no one can get in, much like a hotel.

But we all need to realize is that this is Disney's ship, and if they need into a room, for whatever reason, they have every right to be in it. Maybe your questions will be better addressed with guest services once on the ship regarding their processes for needing inside rooms (apart from the cleanings/turn downs).

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)

Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: