Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
bxccah
Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

Planning my first solo trip as an 18 y/o- 21 days in WDW.

Hello everyone!

^ oh dear, typing that made me think of disney world transportation. I just returned yesterday after 21 days in the happiest place on earth- walt disney world!

I went with my mother, sister, brother and niece. It was the best time of my life, but I actually spent 90% of the holiday alone!

My mother and father are separated. For my 18th birthday, he's giving me cash for a holiday. Now, I can vacation to WDW for 21 days and stay at a value resort with that money, and still have cash left over for spending and dining.

My mother doesn't think she will be returning to WDW for at least 6 years. My sister wants to wait until her 3 y/o DD is older, because, although she loved it, she won't remember it.

So basically- I'll be going alone. That doesn't bother me at all, as I love my own company. I just have a few questions.

Firstly- am I the only person to return from THREE WEEKS in WDW and immediately want to book another trip?! I miss it so much it hurts. I sobbed all the way from Saratoga to Orlando International on the magical express. I spent my last morning in a deserted camp Minnie mickey, having amazing interactions with my fave characters chip n dale. At 10:30am, it got busy so I headed to EE, rode it twice, then went to magic kingdom to say goodbye to my true home. I thought it would be years until I returned. I didn't think those wishes I made to myself whilst watching the wishes fireworks would actually come true as soon as I returned with an email from my father (who feels guilty about abusing me as a little girl, hence the money.)

Second- table service dining solo. Is it awkward? I've never done it, but I cannot imagine only doing quick service. We were on the free dining plan, so had a table service every day (mostly dinner but some lunches, also one breakfast). Character meals I can't see being a problem, apart from the photos but I'm sure I'll find a CM or family willing to snap a pic of a young woman hugging mickey! Normal dinners though, I imagine could be awkward.

My mum thinks I'll be fine after a couple of days and I'd be used to it. She knows I'm a very responsible person, I wouldn't get myself into any stupid mess or anything, and I'd stay out of trouble. Heck, I'd spend my evenings dancing with a slushie at Club 626 in MK with Stitch, Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale!

Those who are frequent solo travellers, is 21 days a ridiculous length of time? Travelling from the UK, it's normally a better deal to do 14 days, and 21 is only slightly more expensive. I love disney, and even lazy days spent walking around downtown disney, or sitting on a bench at MK, drawing, reading and watching parades is like heaven to me!

A good 75% of my trip was spent getting pics with the characters. I LOVE chip n dale, and I've got so many amazing memories with them, as well as wonderful pictures- Dale and I got 'married' and planned to run away to Epcot together (he kept pointing to my epcot pins and my ipad lock screen of me in front of spaceship earth, until I finally got it!), until he noticed I only had a Chip pin! Then he shook his head and went over to irritate Donald, who was stomping around after Minnie had 'said something'. This was all for my benefit. I was the only guest at Camp Minnie-Mickey that early in the morning :-). I then got a cool picture with Donald. I didn't know Chip, Dale and Baloo had snuck in until I viewed my photopass pics. Amazing!

I can see myself having the best 18th birthday ever. What are your thoughts?

Currently at Disney World! All Star Sports, 9/4 - 9/25
bxccah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
lovedworld
Mouseketeer

Hi, I know what you mean about wanting to go back. I just got back from a trip to Disneyland and wanted to go back immediately. I have been to Disney World 4 times in the last two years and I love it dearly. We are planning another trip this fall. But I have never been alone, always been surrounded by family. It sounds like you are a responcible young women and I think you would be fine. But I just wanted to say maybe if you love it so much you should think about trying to work there. There is a young women from my work that just went there to work for the summer, I think that would be a dream job. Well good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time on your solo trip if you decide to do it.
lovedworld is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
catra121
DIS Veteran

My thoughts?

Ummm...SO JEALOUS!

I wish I could spend 21 days in Disney...but don't think I could ever get that long off of work.

I think dining solo will be fine at table service restaurants...no need to worry. There are many places where you can even dine at the bar or other similar set ups if that's something you would be more comfortable with. But I would (and will) choose a table myself...just more roomy.

Sounds like you will have a blast. I say go for it!

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
illuminatedillusions
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxccah View Post

Firstly- am I the only person to return from THREE WEEKS in WDW and immediately want to book another trip?!
Trust me, this is completely normal despite what my family think

I've been visiting Orlando solo for random amounts of time every September and come back and immediately book a flight to go the next year (going this year from the 13th to the 25th and planning on staying in pop century from the 13th to 20th and one of the universal hotels from the 20th to the 25th.).

21 days may be a long time on your own though and you could get home-sick or feel isolated. For me, my first solo holiday lasted a week there, which was expensive for a short holiday when coming from Europe but it is up to you. I always felt that I never wanted to leave either so do longer holidays every year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxccah View Post

Second- table service dining solo. Is it awkward? I've never done it, but I cannot imagine only doing quick service. We were on the free dining plan, so had a table service every day (mostly dinner but some lunches, also one breakfast). Character meals I can't see being a problem, apart from the photos but I'm sure I'll find a CM or family willing to snap a pic of a young woman hugging mickey! Normal dinners though, I imagine could be awkward.
Not going to lie but it can be awkward at the start of your holiday but as your holiday continues you won't care. Another thing is you will see other solo travellers there and I've found that they feel the same way as you and may ask to sit with you if you are comfortable with that.

Just to make sure you are aware, as you are only 18, I have seen many hotels/resorts that only allow someone 21 years old or older to stay in the hotel. Check with the hotel/resort you are staying with just in case
illuminatedillusions is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: