Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana50 View Post
If you use a $50.00 gift card and spend $40.00 do they give you real cash back or Disney dollars?
You get the same $50 gift card back, with the amount you spent deducted of course. That's why the gift card ap mentioned can be so helpful.

I tend to go old school and wrap my most recent receipt, which shows the balance remaining, around the gc I used. Not foolproof, but it generally works OK.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Yes, the Target Pharmacy Reward is 5%. It applied after the red card 5% so you don't quite get a total of 10% off but it's pretty close (9.75%).

If you give them a $50 gift card for a $40 purchase, they will give you the card back with a $10 balance. They will not give you cash. I'm not sure if there is a threshold where they will give you cash but if there I would expect it to be pretty low (like 1 or $2).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

California law says that you can ask to have a card balance of less than $10 given to you in cash, but a lot of businesses aren't very good about it. So if you have, say, $7 left on a gift card, you can ask to have them give you that in cash after the purchase. However, many stores either aren't familiar with the law or haven't trained their employees on it. Starbucks got in big trouble with that.

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

What am I missing?

Can someone explain to me the advantage of buying a whole lot of Disney gift cards as opposed to just saving the money for the trip, charging the trip on a credit card, and then paying off the credit card with the money saved upon return?

I have read many threads on DIS about using gift cards to pay/save for a trip and I don't understand the reasoning behind what seems to be a lot of hassle, but so many people talk about it, there must just be something I"m missing. Can someone kindly educate me? Thanks!

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #20
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
What am I missing?

Can someone explain to me the advantage of buying a whole lot of Disney gift cards as opposed to just saving the money for the trip, charging the trip on a credit card, and then paying off the credit card with the money saved upon return?

I have read many threads on DIS about using gift cards to pay/save for a trip and I don't understand the reasoning behind what seems to be a lot of hassle, but so many people talk about it, there must just be something I"m missing. Can someone kindly educate me? Thanks!

- Dreams
Usually people do this because they are either getting a discount on the giftcards (Target Red Card 5% and/or Pharmacy 5% rewards), getting some kind of other reward (gas rewards at supermarkets, 5% cash back on their CC because they bought the gift cards at a certain type of store etc), or because they ask all their friends and family to give them Disney Gift Cards as gift so they have a pile of them.

I used to think using them purely as a budgeting device was crazy, but now that I've started doing gift cards (I started for the Target 5% stacked to 10% rewards) I actually kind of like how I feel we keep better track of $$ being spent in the park when using gift cards.

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #21
Astylla
Disney Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post
Usually people do this because they are either getting a discount on the giftcards (Target Red Card 5% and/or Pharmacy 5% rewards), getting some kind of other reward (gas rewards at supermarkets, 5% cash back on their CC because they bought the gift cards at a certain type of store etc), or because they ask all their friends and family to give them Disney Gift Cards as gift so they have a pile of them.

I used to think using them purely as a budgeting device was crazy, but now that I've started doing gift cards (I started for the Target 5% stacked to 10% rewards) I actually kind of like how I feel we keep better track of $$ being spent in the park when using gift cards.
Pretty much this. Safeway had a promotion for 3x gas rewards points for gift card purchases..and if we are going to spend the money anyway in the parks..why not get something out of it especially with gas being so expensive out here..ugh.

We also found it works as a budget tool. We are personally using the gift cards for almost exclusively meals since we eat almost all our meals in the parks themselves or at the DLR hotels. It's a personal choice but it works for some.
Astylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
Lewdannie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
What am I missing?

Can someone kindly educate me? Thanks!

- Dreams
Another advantage might be that you would like to lock in the exchange rate if you are travelling from overseas
Old 04-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #23
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepymouse View Post
Can only be combined onto 1 card if purchased from Disney Store, not yet activated and you have the receipt for all of them. I had 40 of them that I wanted to combine but could not since purchased from Target. Luckily, I could use them all separately to pay for vacation.
If you "purchase" from the Disney Store, the card is activated immediately.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee

If you "purchase" from the Disney Store, the card is activated immediately.
No matter where you get them the activation process starts immediately once purchased at the register. It may take a couple of hours, but usually it happens pretty quickly.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #25
gcatt
Can you stand on your head?

Our kids' school sells Disney gift cards as part of their scrip program. There is no discount for us, but 3% of the proceeds goes to the school. With weekly scrip orders , it's an easy way to build up some money set aside for DLR and help the school.

Would be nicer if we could combine them, though.

And the mome raths outgrabe.
gcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #26
larina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcatt
Our kids' school sells Disney gift cards as part of their scrip program. There is no discount for us, but 3% of the proceeds goes to the school. With weekly scrip orders , it's an easy way to build up some money set aside for DLR and help the school.

Would be nicer if we could combine them, though.
That's so cool. I wish my daughter's school would do something like that. I would actually buy that, unlike the cookie dough and candy they try to pawn off on parents (we donate cash to the PTG and other fundraisers, but we don't do food items that we won't eat).

Last edited by larina; 04-20-2013 at 03:12 AM.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
disneygirlinphoenix
Mouseketeer

Just remember If you book travel to keep your GC's, until your travel is completed. I made the mistake of throwing them away and then when circumstances occurred and I couldn't go on my cruise, it was a pain to get that back!!!

Quote:
"We can do no great things...only small things with great love. - Mother Teresa
disneygirlinphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #28
DisneyPirateGirl925
Yoho, Yoho, A Pirates life for me

Quote:
What am I missing?

- Dreams
My family uses it as a way to save over time. Like if we know we are going to Disney in June, for the months before we will buy a gift card here, another there and then we KNOW we will have the money to spend there even if something happens.

And my mom doesn't like the idea of our debit/credit cards being connected to anything or having to use them all the time, in case someone gets a hold of our numbers or something, besides the fact that our bank sometimes thinks our Disney charges are fraud...
So for us, having a bunch of gift cards is easier then having to call our bank during every buy to make it go through.
DisneyPirateGirl925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #29
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

We do it as a "Disney savings account". We don't have credit cards other than our bank card so this lets us put money away and we aren't tempted to touch it. When we went to WDW for 2 weeks we purchased 2 $500 gift cards with our tax return for all our meals. It was set aside and we knew it would be there when our trip came 6 months later.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
LittleBlackRaincloud
It's a disguise, not an attitude
Should wear a sun shirt for the next trip
Is haunted by visions of Elvis in the Mansion
All this talk has my uterus in a bunch!

I get them at Target for roughly 10% off. This saves me anywhere from $150-$200 a trip. That's a nice chunk of change. I only take a few each day with me, and lock the rest in the safe in the room. This allows me to budget each day out better.

Our Family: DH-Bruce , Me-Heather , DS7-Nathan , DS6-Nolan , DD4-Natalie
LittleBlackRaincloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: