Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer

I feel ya Mickeynut1! That's where I stand- I pretty much love every resort. Must be in the minority too! I prefer some over others- but I like them all.

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
RooRach0906
"Oh Goody, Horray!"

We were also underwhelmed by OKW. We did love the room size but there was just something about it that didn't hit our liking. My biggest complaint was the kiddie/baby pool. Just a small round circle that the kids had to step up and then down to get in. My at the time 16 month old got bored with the pool quick and she was/is a water child, loves baths and pools.

Let me also add our two favorites are SSR for if we want more relaxed vacation and BWV if we want to be close to the action.

On our weigh and bringing Tagalongs ~ Sept 2014 PTR ~

Last edited by RooRach0906; 03-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.
RooRach0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
married2mm
DIS Veteran

For what it's worth- i would love to return to okw.

Stayed at pop,all stars,por,ssr and okw- not a bad word against any of them.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
OKW is the original Disney Vacation Club Resort. It was built as a timeshare and not as a hotel. So if you expect a hotel with a food court, you don't get that. It doesn't have elevators in the buildings except for the three newest buildings that were built around 1999.

Each villa has either a full kitchen or a kitchenette, so they don't expect guests to need a full service counter service. Goods to Go is pretty much just for eating at the main pool, but they started offering a limited breakfast menu when the dining plan opened up.

OKW is our resort of choice because there is no "in your face" Disney. It's a relaxing resort that takes you away from the rat race of the theme parks. It's built around a golf course. And the rooms are huge. Full sized (not stackable like the other DVC resorts) washers and dryers in one bedroom or larger villas.

We love the colors of the resort - pastel pinks, blues, greens, yellows. We always have a car, so parking right outside our villa it a big plus. No giant parking lot to walk a mile from. You can walk around the resort, walk to DTD, take a boat to DTD, go fishing, rent a boat, head to the Community Hall to play games or rent a movie.

We love OKW. But it's nice that Disney has options for every guest.
Hits the nail on the head. OKW & BCV are always our 1st choice when we hit the parks.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

That's why I was surprised at myself, I have found something amazing at each of the other resorts, so much that I can list things like, my fav for being close to MK or my fav theming or my fav music piped thru. But OKW didn't give me any favorite. Although I will shout out to the rooftops about the banana French toast at Olivia's...awesome. But that's not enough for us to stay there again. I am so glad Disney gives us all choices. Some may think I'm nuts for loving AKL as much as I do. I guess I was just shocked that I didn't love OKW....
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Not really. We've loved each WDW resort we've stayed in, including Poly. But although I loved our stay there, I thought the halls & elevators did not really reflect an upscale $$$ resort. I hear they are doing a total refurb of all the longhouses now, much needed.

As Wood Nymph says there are also benefits of staying at the resorts that are all under 1 roof, but I also love walking along the beautiful landscaping of many of the resorts too, like Poly, & POR.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Like WoodNymph, we were underwhelmed by the Poly. Coincidentally, it was also very rainy when we stayed there. Our stay just prior to that had been at Contemporary, so having to schlep outside in the rain to go anywhere seemed a real hassle compared to having everything (including the monorail) under one roof. We also found the rooms to be too dark for our liking, the pool and GCH insanely crowded, and the CMs weren't so friendly.

Now, I won't go so far as to say we'd never stay there again. We were somewhat underwhelmed our first stay at WL, gave it another shot and loved it. So who knows -- maybe if we went during a slower time when it wasn't rainy, we might love it.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
jhryb
DIS Veteran

The first time I stayed at a DVC resort I felt the same way. My feelings were "What do you mean I need to make my own bed?". It just didn't feel like a Disney vacation to me. But now that I am a DVC member I love the large one and two bedroom villas and I would take them any day over sharing one small room with my family.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #24
suefly
Earning My Ears

Didn't love the beach club. Poor counter service. Otherwise it was nice. Just not wowed. But mostly had to do with paying so much to stay there. My expectations were too high, I guess.
suefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #25
toodycat
DIS Veteran

We were underwhelmed during our second stay at the Poly. Pool was crowded and very dirty, service was utterly indifferent and neither the restaurants nor the shopping do it for me. The transportation is awesome though and the rooms are big.

Although we want to stay at every resort at some point, I feel a little hesitant about OKW, SSR, CBR and BWI---as though they would be disappointing.The first two strike me as looking more like condos and less like Disney magic headquarters while CBR's theme doesn't seem so exciting and although I like the grounds of BWI, I don't like the idea of having to go out on the Boardwalk just to get a meal and the clown pool is not to my taste. I suppose this is a topic for another thread, but I wonder how many people found themselves at a resort they thought they wouldn't click with and ended up loving it?
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

We've stayed at Pop, ASMu (FS), POR, POFQ, CSR, WL, and YC. Of those, the only one that underwhelmed me was WL. I didn't hate it, and in fact we've stayed there twice, but there was nothing "Wow" about it for me. I'd read a lot of trip reports that talked about being really impressed with the lobby, and I didn't find it all that impressive. I wouldn't rule out staying there again, but it's not high on my list. We're doing a split stay this summer with BWI CLand BC CL. I've been inside both (though not the rooms or the CL lounges) so I know what to expect in terms of available food and activities, and I am OK with all of it.

Of the others, the only one that I would rule out a return stay was ASMu. It didn't underwhelm me, I just hated it.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at POFQ, POP, AsMu, AsMo, and AoA. The only hotel I wasn't crazy about is AsMu.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #28
Diz Kids
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at Pop, AS Musi, CSR, POR(both), CBR, CR, Poly, AKL, YC. I would say I was underwhelmed with CBR, POFQ and the Poly. The first two just didn't wow me. Nothing wrong with the resorts, but they wouldn't be my 1st choice. The Poly I think was more of a combination of what others have said about the separate buildings and the price. I really enjoyed our stay and the pool, restaurants and grounds are great, but I just didn't feel it was worth the price we paid.

None of these things impacted our vacation to make it any less special, I just wouldn't put the resorts on the top of my list. I have heard a lot of people say they were underwhelmed with AKL though, and it might be my fave resort.

We all have different likes and needs and some will love resorts that others do not like at all. A kitchen in my room at Disney? No thanks. Then my family might think that I am going to cook on vacation. For others, it is a must.

I hope you still had a great vacation and next time you stay at a resort that amazes you!

Diz Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We were underwhelmed by the Poly, YC, and BC. We gave the Poly a second chance and it still did nothing for us. The refurbed rooms look nice and I'm tempted but the CMs there were the worst in our 30+ stays. Captain Cooks was blah too so I don't know. We'll see.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
toodycat
DIS Veteran

I wasn't blown away by WL, but it wasn't the lobby that we loved. For my money, the best feature was the pool and the surrounding landscaping.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: