Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
Loving the trip report so far! Looking forward to reading more
Thank you!! Glad you are liking it

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmom7054 View Post
Great trip report, I love the fun ride pictures!

How was the Fairfield Inn? And the walk to the park from there? We are considering staying there in June for our first trip to Disneyland. We are Disneyworld Veterans, but Disneyland Virgins!
We liked FFI - My family stays almost exclusively in marriott hotels so I am kind of used to them, haha! It's about a 10 minute walk to the parks and we thought the room was nice and large, comfy beds, etc. I think the lack of free breakfast is lame, and the pool is pretty small, but we were so pooped from our park days we didn't use the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
I don't even like Dole Whips, but those look amazing! Love the funny ride pictures!
Oh man I LOVE dole whips! I was getting a little worried we wouldn't be able to get one - the line was insane!

Completed TR: 1st Trip Report & DCA Proposal!

Previous trips:
WDW June 2012 // World Wide Sports
DLR March 2013 // FFI
Malroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great TR
When do we get to the proposal part
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

looks like you had a fun day at DL...love the fun photos!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great TR
When do we get to the proposal part
Tee hee! Probably in the next update (hopefully I will get to it today!)..happened pretty early in the day at DCA!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
looks like you had a fun day at DL...love the fun photos!
It was so great!! We are itching to be back already..

Previous trips:
DLR March 2013 // FFI
Old 03-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #20
Malroy
Mouseketeer

I am totally staying up late and avoiding some homework to write this Trip Report tonight But you know, I am including MY ENGAGEMENT in this section. So I think I can handle it.....

ANYWAYS.

After what seemed like not enough sleep our alarms were going of to get up and start our day at California Adventure! We were both very excited about this day, because it was going to be just the two of us! The day with Dana was great, but we were REALLY looking forward to enjoying each other's company in the happiest place on earth. I remember being ready and anxious to go before Bret was, and sorting through our pins while I was waiting on him. This trip was also my first foray into trading. I watched Bret's mom and niece trade endlessly on our WDW trip last summer and never thought I'd get into it..But I let Bret talk me into buying a starter set with a lanyard. It is fun, and I enjoy looking up the sets at the end of the day to see what other pins go with the ones we've traded and such!

Anyway, we headed off to DCA and got there around 825 or so. Again, just a couple minutes of waiting, they counted us down and started letting people through the turnstiles. We had a bit of delay getting in because people in front of us had to have their pictures taken, but it wasn't more than a couple minutes.

Once we got in we followed the crowd and made it into the line for RSR FPs. We started chatting with the woman in line in front of us (who had two ADORABLE children, OMG) who was an AP holder, and she said this was the farthest up the line she had ever been, and she had done this 3x since they opened Carsland. We were at the end of the Carthay Circle building heading if you are heading down towards the turn to the Aladin theatre..If that makes any sense to anyone.

Our new friend snapped this cute picture of us looking dorky in our ear hats!

The wait was not bad at all. During it, there was a CM walking up and down the line explaining what line we were in, etc and we heard a rumor that RSR was actually down. We had planned to get FPs and then we were thinking about booking it to try and get on first thing. The CM confirmed that it was down at the moment, but should be starting up shortly after park opening. We decided against our original plan at this point.. Promptly at 9am, the line started moving and we got our FPs by about 915, for two different times! Only by 5 minutes, but what I think is really hilarious about this is that I didn't realize it, until the end of the day when I was looking through my pictures! We were both REALLY excited to have these - I knew there was no way we wouldn't get them with our place in line, but we were SUPER pumped for Carsland.

After that we ran up to GRR to get WOC passes (blue!), and then Screamin' and all of a sudden I felt like the FP queen!

Then we got in line to ride TMM. We waited probably around a half hour, with a miserable kid in line behind us, who I decided was miserable because his parents named him Neville. I love Harry Potter, and puberty certainly did Neville Longbottom some serious good, but that just does not strike me as something I would want to name my kid. ANYWAYS. Judging of people's child name choices aside...

Bret kicked my BUTT at TMM. I am so not good at that game! But it is such a great ride. We both love it.

After that, we took a bathroom break, and then went to use our Screamin' FPs. I was a little apprehensive about this. As I may have mentioned previously in this TR, I tend to be a bit of a weeny when it comes to the scarier rides. I had ridden Screamin' before, and that was mostly out of family pressure, and afterwards I was MAD, like MAD MAD and stayed grumpy for a while. I do NOT enjoy being scared, and have a bad attitude about roller coasters. This trip I was determined to be a brave big girl and to not abandon Bret on the scarier rides. So I somewhat reluctantly got on the ride.

As we pulled around the corner I had to shake Bret's hand away from mine (he was trying to hold hands!) so I could grip the handlebars. I love me some NPH, and tried to pretend his voice was comforting..but it was not. I was TERRIFIED. I knew how the ride shoots you off all quickly, but I was totally not prepared. I spent the entire first uphill screaming BRET I DONT LIKE THIS I DONT LIKE THIS!! I could tell by his response that he felt really bad, which made me feel bad, so I tried to buck up a little bit. After that, the rest of the ride was really not bad at all. I actually kept my eyes open during the upside down loop (which really is seriously huge for me!!) and afterwards I was shaky but I had fun.

Bret is a little hard to see, and we both have NO idea where on the ride they take the picture, but Bret is convinced it is right at the beginning, where I was shouting I DON'T LIKE THIS!! hahaha

After that we had a bit of a debate over what to do, but we ended up going to ride Ariel's Undersea Adventure. The Little Mermaid is far and above my most favorite movie of all time (Red heads gotta stick together!) and I had been looking forward to this ride. We hop on, and right away the ride stops. Sebastian kept telling us it was probably that evil sea witch, and I bet he was right! Ursula is crazy. Once the ride started up again we went on our way, while I was happily taking pictures with my phone and singing along.

First things first: THE ANIMATRONICS ON THIS RIDE ARE MIND BLOWING. Seriously, sooooo incredible. Here is a pictures before I got a little bit distracted

Even HER HAIR MOVES to make it feel underwater.

As we round the corner, I hear the 'Kiss the Girl' song playing. Bret says to me, "Do you think you will cry during the wedding?" And I am like uuuhhh, I dunno! presuming he is talking about the wedding scene during the ride (which I didn't even know was there!). Then he says, "I want to kiss a girl!" So I kiss him, turn back to the ride, and then hear him say, "Will you marry me?" and as I am turning to him I automatically say "Yes!" because we have this kind of back and forth conversation sort of regularly, but jokingly. I turn around and there he is HOLDING A FREAKING RING! Immediately I am freaking out. "ARE YOU SERIOUS? ARE YOU REALLY SERIOUSLY SERIOUS?" And he says yes, really, I am serious!!!! And then I say, "IS THAT RING REAL???" By this point, the tears are flowing strong and I am a shaky, crying mess and we have to get off the ride!!! I have totally missed the last two scenes of the ride and barely manage to gather my purse and get off the ride without falling!

We get off the ride and I am still in total disbelief, and he's like well, I need to send a picture to my mom, because she is the only person who knew I was going to do this, and she's been bothering me about when it's going to happen for days! So we took this picture to send to his mom

And then I was like OH MY GOD I NEED TO SIT DOWN. We walk up around the corner from GRR and I batter him with questions and gathered the following information:

1. He had bought the ring BEFORE VALENTINE'S DAY!!! He had had it for like a month and a half!!!
2. He had been planning it for a while (obviously) but told no one other than his mom
3. He traced one of my other rings one night while I was in the bathroom so he could have the ring sized so I could wear it right away
4. We had joked (A LOT) about him previously missing "golden opportunities" to propose (last summer in WDW, last winter in Hawaii), and he said he finally decided it was time to seize the opportunity! Every time I said but why now?? He responded "Because I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you!"
5. He did a lot of ring research and ended up going with a round cut, 3/4 carat diamond on a thin 14k white gold band. It is PERFECT. I am very picky about jewelry and he got it sosososo right.
6. He had compared some DCA options - we had previously joked about (seriously, this topic came up a lot!) getting engaged at Disneyland, and I made a comment about not wanting it to be around a lot of people - and he said his two most serious thoughts were during WOC or on the Ariel ride. His words: "I wanted to be able to actually WATCH WOC and not have you freaking out during it, so I went with Ariel." He youtube'd the ride so he could choose which part of it he wanted to propose during!

Like I said, we had talked about getting married a lot, knew that we would eventually, but I DID not see this coming!! Not even a little bit!!! Quite a few hugs and kisses follow, then I call both of my parents (and cried some more!) and begin the crazy texting. The amount of all caps texting I did that morning was a little bit crazy! After my phone died at DLR the previous day I had vowed to use my phone less to make sure it wouldn't die at DCA. I jokingly scolded Bret that now there was no way my phone was going to stay on all day - I had to tell people about the proposal! I was very right - It went from 60 or 70% to less than 30% in like two hours.

After that we ran up to Guest Services because I wanted to see if they had the "Just Engaged" buttons, but sadly they no longer carry them. The woman at the desk gave us "I'm Celebrating!" buttons instead, and I got Bret's First Visit button as well. Then we went to Carsland to visit Sally's Cozy Cone Motel for some lunch..More on that later

I took this picture while I was waiting for Bret to bring the food..

I've decided we will have similar buttons for everyone attending our wedding! (Another Disney touch at our wedding - our first dance will be "I see the light" from Tangled!)

And here is a close up of my ring - Bret took this the next day as we were driving back to Arizona. I still find myself (two weeks later!) staring at it, incredulous that we are actually engaged and thinking about how much I love Bret and how I can't believe the ring is so perfect. I seriously love that guy.

The rest of our day was just pure bliss. In Disney California Adventure, with the love of my life, my best friend, who ASKED ME TO MARRY HIM! Ah, I am tearing up now just thinking about it!!!

Next Post

Previous trips:
DLR March 2013 // FFI

Last edited by Malroy; 03-30-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
mommy2mrb
Mama to a Princess - But I'm a Scrap Princess
But you wouldn't need the clothes if you had the hot man

WOW, Bret did an amazing job with the proposal! you have yourself a very sweet man! I'm sure the rest of the day was a blur so happy for you both!

mommy2mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

Congratulations!! What a fun story you will have to tell your kids someday when you take them on that ride... When are you getting married?

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
tbgmom
Mouseketeer

That is SO SWEET! Thanks for sharing your special moment with us! Disneyland will now always be an extra special place for you!

Did you go on Ariel again to see the parts you missed?

Mom to 3 boys

Had an amazing 4 days at the DLR April 2013!

DL Oct 1982, WDW Dec 1993- Jan 94 (Christmas trip), DLR Dec 2009 (another Christmas trip), DLR April 2013
tbgmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2mrb View Post
WOW, Bret did an amazing job with the proposal! you have yourself a very sweet man! I'm sure the rest of the day was a blur so happy for you both!
Yes! It was incredible A friend of mine made a comment that he set the bar high for all the other guys in the world - but he pointed out that two of my cousins had pretty awesome proposals (one involving a scavenger hunt that led her to their bed, covered in rose petals with scrabble letters spelling out 'will you marry me' and the other involved a hidden photographer to photograph it!) and so he wanted to be creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
Congratulations!! What a fun story you will have to tell your kids someday when you take them on that ride... When are you getting married?
Agreed! I always tease my parents because they didn't have an official proposal, they just decided they wanted to be married and then went ring shopping..So I always told Bret we needed a good story to tell our future kids! We are planning right now for summer of 2014. I've been researching venues and we are hoping to visit a couple and then choose a date this summer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgmom View Post
That is SO SWEET! Thanks for sharing your special moment with us! Disneyland will now always be an extra special place for you!

Did you go on Ariel again to see the parts you missed?
It definitely cemented the fact that we WILL be going back to DLR, that is for sure!

Yes, we did ride again later in the afternoon. Right after he proposed we passed by King Triton, who has an incredible set of animatronic abs and bret tried to point them out to me, but I was way too distracted to even notice, so he was like, "We need to ride again just so you can see those abs!!!"

Previous trips:
DLR March 2013 // FFI
Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Congratulations

What a lovely proposal story and so sweet that he had really thought it through and planned everything so well

Something tells me you will have to play "Kiss The Girl' at your wedding
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Congratulations!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
kschmidt89
Earning My Ears

Love your TR. It looks like you guys had tons of fun!

My husband proposed to me in on a ride as well (Storybook Land in DL) so I LOVE reading about other people getting engaged at DLR. When my DH did it he told a cm and they planned it together, we got a bunch of fast passes and free wedding style Mickey and Minnie ear hats. It was awesome.

Congratulations!!
kschmidt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Congratulations

What a lovely proposal story and so sweet that he had really thought it through and planned everything so well

Something tells me you will have to play "Kiss The Girl' at your wedding
Thank you thank you!! I think I might have to incorporate it somehow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschmidt89 View Post
Love your TR. It looks like you guys had tons of fun!

My husband proposed to me in on a ride as well (Storybook Land in DL) so I LOVE reading about other people getting engaged at DLR. When my DH did it he told a cm and they planned it together, we got a bunch of fast passes and free wedding style Mickey and Minnie ear hats. It was awesome.

Congratulations!!
That is so awesome!!! In one sense it would have been awesome if anyone else had noticed, but at the same time it was nice that it was a private moment!

Previous trips:
DLR March 2013 // FFI
Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #29
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Day two Part two: California Adventure cont'd

Honestly, I am trying to remember the rest of the day and the order in which things happened are a little bit of a blur!!! Here is what I KNOW that we did, although probably a bit out of order and then pictures.

-Ate at the Cozy Cone Motel - The churros with cinnamon chocolate sauce are DIVINE, we tried both kinds of chili (I like the beef better) and Red's Apple Freeze is delicious as well. We went back later to get the pretzel bites and I tried another flavored beverage - Pomegranate something, limeade maybe?

-RADIATOR SPRINGS RACERS!! This ride is SO awesome. We were both totally blown away by the animatronics and the race at the end is awesome, even if we didn't have a car to race against! I wish we could've ridden it again.

-Rode the Monsters Inc ride. We both loved it, and Roz totally called me out at the end!

-Watched the Oz 4D preview - It was fun, and we've since seen the actual movie (Bret liked it better than I did, James Francos acting is kind of a turn off for me)

-Rode Tower of Terror (a first for me). The build up really got to me and as they shut the doors I told Bret I did not plan on ever riding it again - I lied. The drops are fun and it was not bad at all!

-Watched Aladdin. We both thought it was pretty cheesey (Genie especially!), but it was a nice rest - our feet were REALLY hurting at this point.

-Ate at AWARD WEINERS! Bret was really excited about this - He got the one covered in BBQ and a glowing Oz themed drink that was really cool and also delicious. I hoped it was some sort of magical way they made it glow but it was just a glowing ice cube. We ended up giving it to the son of a friend of my sister's who is like 3 - we put it in his sippy cup and he thought it was the coolest thing ever.

-Watched the Pixar Play Parade. I managed to snag us a bench to sit on with like 20 minutes left before the parade started. I think it was because we were sitting in the sun. But Bret went and got a Smoothie from Schmoozies while I was waiting, so that made the heat a little more bearable!

-Rode GRR. We were in a raft with a local Californian and her mom and another couple and we got on RIGHT before a HUGE group of matching shirt teenagers who were all chanting. Bret kept joking about how they will chant your name like "B *clap clap* R *clap clap* E *clap clap* T *clap clap* BRET BRET BRET!" and so on, and that made the girl and her mom crack up, and then I was mocking the "keep your hands and feet inside the ride" voice which made them crack up even more. Who knew we were so funny We also got stuck right before the biggest drop because said group of teenagers (who were on behind us) kept trying to reach their hands out of the raft onto the walls and stuff. THANKS GUYS!

-Rode Mickey's Fun Wheel (non swinging) and I was pretty much paralyzed by a fear of heights, so Bret took a ton of pictures. That Ferris Wheel is TALL. The funniest part about this is that Bret did NOT realize that the GRR mountain is a bear on top until we saw it from the Ferris Wheel!

-Rode with Ariel again, so I could see it all the way through! We also stopped in the gift shop across from the ride because Bret wanted to get the pin for that ride - I am going to incorporate it into a picture frame with some engagement/proposal related pictures!

-Ate a Corn Dog from the Corn Dog Castle. I freakin' love corn dogs.

-Walked along the boardwalk and through Carsland like 2-3x - We were there when they did the lighting ceremony. It is impressive during the day, but when the neons come on - OH. MY. GOD. It is so incredible.

-WORLD OF COLOR! OH MY GOD. It was basically a life changing experience. It was like 745 or 8, and we were trying to get Bret some dinner before the viewing areas opened up...We walked past and it was a ZOO. So we ran and grabbed him dinner from a mexican place (we really missed this part of the park and spent no time there). Waiting an hour kind of sucked (and we were near this guy who just COMPLAINED THE ENTIRE TIME) but that show is mind blowing. I definitely cried.

The boardwalk area is beautiful when the sun sets...

Last post: final thoughts

Previous trips:
DLR March 2013 // FFI

Last edited by Malroy; 03-30-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #30
Malroy
Mouseketeer

Two days in DLR and DCA: Final thoughts

1. Next time we are doing at least three days and getting park hoppers. Two days also left us wanting more - It was a good Disney fix but not enough to satisfy the craving!
2. We need to plan our attack a little better next time, so there is less back and forth and back and forth - we walked SO MUCH.
3. There were a couple attractions we didn't get to do, and a few things that didn't get crossed off my food list - Oh well, it just means we get to go back!!

Overall, we had an AMAZING, jam packed two days in DLR and DCA - We both were on cloud 9 and we can't wait to go back. I will leave you with pictures from WOC.

Now to decide if we will disneymoon or not!!!!

Previous trips:
DLR March 2013 // FFI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: