Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Nervous

We go on our Disney cruise in June and I am getting nervous this will be our first cruise, it will be me and my husband and our 2 daughters ages 8 and 4, I am just getting nervous about being on a boat in the middle of the ocean . Anyone else get nervous on their first cruise?
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
We go on our Disney cruise in June and I am getting nervous this will be our first cruise, it will be me and my husband and our 2 daughters ages 8 and 4, I am just getting nervous about being on a boat in the middle of the ocean . Anyone else get nervous on their first cruise?
Not me. Our first was a 15 night PC cruise, and I was smitten walking up the gangway on embarkation day. Totally fell in love with cruising.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

It is quite normal to feel this way. You have a lot of activities on board and the ships have so much to offer, once you get one you will loosen up. I would recommend taking things that entertain you as well or help you relax and feel comfortable. Try to distract yourself with the shows and the offerings of the sheep. Like my husband says, keep yourself busy and you will be happy

You will have a great time you will see!

When in June is your sailing? We are on the June 22nd Fantasy sailing.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
mandykaye
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan888
It is quite normal to feel this way. You have a lot of activities on board and the ships have so much to offer, once you get one you will loosen up. I would recommend taking things that entertain you as well or help you relax and feel comfortable. Try to distract yourself with the shows and the offerings of the sheep. Like my husband says, keep yourself busy and you will be happy

You will have a great time you will see!

When in June is your sailing? We are on the June 22nd Fantasy sailing.
Thanks we are sailing June 20th on the Dream, I am very excited but also very nervous
mandykaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye View Post
Thanks we are sailing June 20th on the Dream, I am very excited but also very nervous
Your very welcome

The Dream is lovely and being a newer ship it has more things that the older ones dont have. A fun activity for the whole family is the Detective Mickey interactive game. Throughout the ship there are magical picture frames that help you help Mickey to solve the mystery case against the Disney Villain. So much fun and entertaining. You have to go around the ship seeking clues. I would totally recommend it. Also, the movie theater is great. If you feel like you need more relaxation, a trip to the rainforest room will definitely help.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

we just booked our first cruise and I am nervous too, especially at night. I am hoping my love of Disney, and all the fun things I am looking forward to seeing on the ship, will keep my mind off of it. I was alittle comforted when I looked at the map of where we are sailing on Disney's site. We are only doing a 3 night to try it out. I also am not familiar with where the different ports are located. So, after seeing how close they appear on the map, it made me feel we were never going to be far from land. I am sure we will have tons of fun!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

I was horrified our first cruise, not only about us having mechanical failures etc but I was worried we'd be sick. We travelled 2 months after the Concordia so that didn't help at all. DD suffers from car sickness so I worried about her thinking how stupid of me to want to bring her on a ship. On the bus on the way to port I made us all take 2 gravol to be ready for the motion sickness. Once we got on boat every worry I had was left on land. We had a great trip no one was sick, we slept like babies (I was worried I'd panick all night not able to relax). We had so much fun were ready to do it again
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

I was nervous as well my first time, but once you are sailing on the water is the most amazing thing yo will have ever seen. It is just so calm and beautiful, it will take away all of your worries =)

sunryzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
super mike b
DIS Veteran

My wife had to beg me to go our first cruise. Once on board, I loved it and have never looked back.
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
reevesinga
Mouseketeer

It is totally within normal limits to feel this way! However you do not feel like you are alone in feeling this way! I did but felt absolutely overwhelmed with excitement once I walked in and have NEVER felt this way again! Goi g in our 8th in June!
You will have a blast!
reevesinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

First of all, the Dream doesn't really go out in the "middle of the ocean". You are fairly close to land and we always see other ships nearby going along the same route. I do remember having a flashback to watching Titanic when we were heading back up the stairs after the muster drill on our first cruise back when you wore those box-like life jackets -- but that didn't last and I have never really been concerned onboard a DCL ship to this point. We have had 20+ foot swells on a few of those also.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
dad4dis
Mouseketeer

After a while you forget that you are even on the water unless you look out a window or to the horizon. I felt more like I was in a hotel than on a ship in the middle of the ocean.
dad4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye
I know a lot of people who won't cruise at all because of this very thing. That's so sad to me because it truly is the best vacation you'll ever take. It's really no different than being at a resort on a private island. You'd be "in the middle of the ocean" there too! try not to worry about it in the coming months. Once you're on board, you won't think twice about where you are!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykaye
I love feeling of being stuck out in the middle of the ocean. It's forced downtime and forced seclusion. No cell service, no email, no possibility of work, no bills to pay, no cooking, no cleaning, no family drama to deal with, plus there's round the clock free Childcare. Best and most relaxing vacation ever.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
tracyheartsmickey
Mouseketeer

We're taking our first cruise in May. I have the same fear but I try not to think about it. I'm trying to focus on the new adventure and the fun of celebrating our 20th anniversary without the kids!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: