Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Question One day, both parks, what are your must-do's

Say you had just one day with access to both parks; what are your must-do's and what would your one park day look like?

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
rms123
DIS Veteran

Do you have kids and how old are they? Totally depends on that.
rms123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123
Do you have kids and how old are they? Totally depends on that.
My kids are 16,14, and 11. I'm planning our mega day but would love to hear what everyone's must-do's are especially if you just had one day.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Ack... we have 1 1/2 days and I'm finding that challenging...

Our Must-Dos:

DCA -- RSR (haven't tried it yet), TSMM, Soarin', GRR, Little Mermaid, Monsters Inc, Animation Academy (if time)

DL -- POTC, HM, Splash, Pooh, Fantasyland little rides (we do them 1st thing) like PPan, Alice, Toad etc. , Space Mtn, Indy, Storybookland (at night).

There are lots of other rides we want to go on if there is time, but those are the headliners for my family.

I think you have longer park hours than we do (ours are 9EMH - 8pm) so you may be able to do in one day what we can do in 1.5. Good luck!!!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
rms123
DIS Veteran

For those ages... In DLR I'd do IJ, Space, Splash, BTMRR if open, Buzz, pirates, HM. In CA I'd do RSR, ToT, Soarin, TSMM, Screamin. Maybe Fantasmic or WOC but is so rides first personally. If you have a good plan and a long day, it could be done.
rms123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
profa
Mouseketeer

So hopefully your one day is on a DL MM so that there is not early entry at DCA. We just did 1 day last week. We got to DCA 30 min before opening and we were up at the rope in 10 min. We moved our way toward the front by going on the side walk and then into the street. They will close the sidewalk off. Stay to the right and do the far right technique for RSR. At Flos they will move you into a single line so stay in the STREET not on the sidewalk but to the far right Enjoy a ride on RSR. Send your kids on Luigi and you run over to RSR fast pass line. Now maybe since this is your one day you don't have time to come back? From there I picked up FP for soarin' and WOC and then got my kids.
I would go hit screamin and Toy story and then do soarin'. Head to DL and pick up fp for space and autopia. Do single rider on Matterhorn. no pictures and single rider goes fast and is fine here. After space head to Splash and indiana jones for FP then you can head into FL and Toontown.
No of course my kids were younger so we had bugsland and fantasyland. Your 11 yr old might want to do some of these. Also depends on when - park hrs for us were 10-8 w/ WOC starting at 8:15. So we went back to DCA for dinner and rides before WOC.
Our trip was a side trip , we had big trip last summer, so I didn't feel like we had to do everything. Mostly time in CL since we only did mater and one ride on RSR last summer.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Astylla
Disney Fanatic

CA -

RSR - Only FP/ Single rider for one day

Aladdin - This is by far one of the best shows I've ever seen

California Screamin

Soarin over California

DL -

Peter Pan/Fantasyland

Pirates of Carribean

Space Mountain

Indiana Jones

Splash Mountain

Those would be my "Do not miss" list..from there it's all really up to you.
Astylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Ack... we have 1 1/2 days and I'm finding that challenging...

Our Must-Dos:

DCA -- RSR (haven't tried it yet), TSMM, Soarin', GRR, Little Mermaid, Monsters Inc, Animation Academy (if time)

DL -- POTC, HM, Splash, Pooh, Fantasyland little rides (we do them 1st thing) like PPan, Alice, Toad etc. , Space Mtn, Indy, Storybookland (at night).

There are lots of other rides we want to go on if there is time, but those are the headliners for my family.

I think you have longer park hours than we do (ours are 9EMH - 8pm) so you may be able to do in one day what we can do in 1.5. Good luck!!!

Yes, one day is killing me. But our hours are long and we've got some special things planned. I'm going to make the most out of the 17 hours we've got. Our hours are 8-mid and 8-10 with EMH at DCA I believe because it's a Sunday. You'll be able to do all of that in 1.5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123 View Post
For those ages... In DLR I'd do IJ, Space, Splash, BTMRR if open, Buzz, pirates, HM. In CA I'd do RSR, ToT, Soarin, TSMM, Screamin. Maybe Fantasmic or WOC but is so rides first personally. If you have a good plan and a long day, it could be done.

It's going to be a wonderfully long day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by profa View Post
So hopefully your one day is on a DL MM so that there is not early entry at DCA. We just did 1 day last week. We got to DCA 30 min before opening and we were up at the rope in 10 min. We moved our way toward the front by going on the side walk and then into the street. They will close the sidewalk off. Stay to the right and do the far right technique for RSR. At Flos they will move you into a single line so stay in the STREET not on the sidewalk but to the far right Enjoy a ride on RSR. Send your kids on Luigi and you run over to RSR fast pass line. Now maybe since this is your one day you don't have time to come back? From there I picked up FP for soarin' and WOC and then got my kids.
I would go hit screamin and Toy story and then do soarin'. Head to DL and pick up fp for space and autopia. Do single rider on Matterhorn. no pictures and single rider goes fast and is fine here. After space head to Splash and indiana jones for FP then you can head into FL and Toontown.
No of course my kids were younger so we had bugsland and fantasyland. Your 11 yr old might want to do some of these. Also depends on when - park hrs for us were 10-8 w/ WOC starting at 8:15. So we went back to DCA for dinner and rides before WOC.
Our trip was a side trip , we had big trip last summer, so I didn't feel like we had to do everything. Mostly time in CL since we only did mater and one ride on RSR last summer.

Our day is a Sunday which I think means that our EMH is for DCA. Thank you for the detailed park plans. The Matterhorn has a single rider?

We'll be in So Cal all week with just one Disney park. We're going to make the absolute most of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astylla View Post
CA -

RSR - Only FP/ Single rider for one day

Aladdin - This is by far one of the best shows I've ever seen

California Screamin

Soarin over California

DL -

Peter Pan/Fantasyland

Pirates of Carribean

Space Mountain

Indiana Jones

Splash Mountain

Those would be my "Do not miss" list..from there it's all really up to you.

Thank you! I love your list. I'd add the fireworks during BTMRR but its under refurb during our day.

Anyone else have any must-do's they'd like to share?

Last edited by rentayenta; 03-16-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
SilentFeline
Mouseketeer

Here's what I would do:

At DL:
-Space Mountain
-PotC
-Haunted Mansion
-Indy
-Jungle Cruise
-BLAB
-Tiki Room
-a round-trip train ride
-a snack at Jolly Holiday Bakery
-Baked potato soup and fried pickles from Carnation Cafe

DCA:
-RSR (single rider line)
-Explore Cars Land
-California Screamin'
-Toy Story Mania
-Muppet Vision 3D
-Flo's V8 Cafe

Obviously, use FP whenever possible.
SilentFeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentFeline View Post
Here's what I would do:

At DL:
-Space Mountain
-PotC
-Haunted Mansion
-Indy
-Jungle Cruise
-BLAB
-Tiki Room
-a round-trip train ride
-a snack at Jolly Holiday Bakery
-Baked potato soup and fried pickles from Carnation Cafe

The Tiki Room is one of my all time favorites. Where is Jolly Holiday located?

Quote:
DCA:
-RSR (single rider line)
-Explore Cars Land
-California Screamin'
-Toy Story Mania
-Muppet Vision 3D
-Flo's V8 Cafe

Obviously, use FP whenever possible.

What do you like to order at Flo's? I see ToT isn't on your must-do list, it's not on mine either. I haven't been to Muppet Vision in years but remember it was really cute.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
profa
Mouseketeer

My plan was to eat at flo's when we returned to DCA for our RSR FP and the rest of the evening but it was CLOSED that day. Such a disappointment as I had planned the day with that in mind. LOL.
I could miss Toy story as well but wasn't sure if it might be a hit for your kids Love the dole bars at the tiki room.
You have a long day - you will be able to do plenty. If you want a break, ITA that ALaddin show in DCA is worth a stop. It's top notch.
profa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #12
SilentFeline
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
The Tiki Room is one of my all time favorites. Where is Jolly Holiday located?
It's on Main St. right by the Adventureland entrance. When DBF and I went last January they had a strawberry lemon cupcake that was delicious. It quickly became our favorite sweet treat in the parks. I'm not sure if it was seasonal, but they have a lot of great baked goods and snacks there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
What do you like to order at Flo's? I see ToT isn't on your must-do list, it's not on mine either. I haven't been to Muppet Vision in years but remember it was really cute.
I must confess that my last visit to DLR was before the opening of Cars Land, but I'm really excited to try Flo's on my next visit, and would definitely make the effort to stop there if my next visit was 1 day. I'm going to order the citrus turkey breast with mashed potatoes and either the corn medley or the baked beans when I go.

I went on ToT with DBF on my first trip as an adult. I'm a roller coaster fanatic and I love most thrill rides, but I hated ToT! I should have known better because I don't like rides with completely vertical drops, but I had to try it. Once was enough for me.

I have to go see Muppets 3D on every visit. It always makes me laugh!
SilentFeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
jason41483
Mouseketeer

If you're staying until the park closes at 11 or midnight, don't forget to ride the Matterhorn - lines are usually pretty short near closing time.

Disneyland - 1994, 1999, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2012
Disneyland Paris - 2014 (going in December!)
jason41483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by profa View Post
My plan was to eat at flo's when we returned to DCA for our RSR FP and the rest of the evening but it was CLOSED that day. Such a disappointment as I had planned the day with that in mind. LOL.
I could miss Toy story as well but wasn't sure if it might be a hit for your kids Love the dole bars at the tiki room.
You have a long day - you will be able to do plenty. If you want a break, ITA that ALaddin show in DCA is worth a stop. It's top notch.
Aladdin is awesome! We haven't seen it in years. I need to check out Flo's menu. I read something about a veggie bake that sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentFeline View Post
It's on Main St. right by the Adventureland entrance. When DBF and I went last January they had a strawberry lemon cupcake that was delicious. It quickly became our favorite sweet treat in the parks. I'm not sure if it was seasonal, but they have a lot of great baked goods and snacks there.

That sounds delicious. I love strawberry and lemon and won't be counting a single calorie on this day.

Quote:
I must confess that my last visit to DLR was before the opening of Cars Land, but I'm really excited to try Flo's on my next visit, and would definitely make the effort to stop there if my next visit was 1 day. I'm going to order the citrus turkey breast with mashed potatoes and either the corn medley or the baked beans when I go.

Yum, that sounds great! Flo's seems to get really great reviews.

Quote:
I went on ToT with DBF on my first trip as an adult. I'm a roller coaster fanatic and I love most thrill rides, but I hated ToT! I should have known better because I don't like rides with completely vertical drops, but I had to try it. Once was enough for me.

My DS loves coasters too and hates ToT! Once was also enough for him.

Quote:
I have to go see Muppets 3D on every visit. It always makes me laugh!

That's how I feel about the Tiki Room. It's campy and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason41483 View Post
If you're staying until the park closes at 11 or midnight, don't forget to ride the Matterhorn - lines are usually pretty short near closing time.

Excellent idea. This is going on my list. We're shooting for EMH at 7 am until closing at midnight with a midday break and wonderful dinner too. It'll be one for the books. The kids may nap but I don't.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: