Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #121
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

I think here in Indiana, it is a mix. It really depends on the school, not whether they are state or private.

There are some pretty competitive and selective state and private schools, but then there are some state and private schools that are where you go if you can't get in to one of the bigger name schools.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #122
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

It's a mix here also. The U of M Twin Cities is actually highly competitive and hard to get into these days, but we also have some state schools that are considered bottom of the barrel. The private schools here are mostly considered more presitgous than some of the state schools but not all.
I did however, know that Berkeley was a great school LOL.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #123
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post
on a full ride!

Sorry!! Wasn't trying to copy you -- I composed offline and didn't refresh the page before posting my reply... But hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right??

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #124
elgerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Sorry!! Wasn't trying to copy you -- I composed offline and didn't refresh the page before posting my reply... But hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right??

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!
Actually, I didn't even think twice about it!
Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #125
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
I did however, know that Berkeley was a great school LOL.

Sure, rub it in... LOL

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #126
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Quote:
They are worse than DIS like over there! LOL, its kinda scary. They make my 4.03/34ACT score seem like an idiot, and they aren't afraid to say, sorry, not good enough!!!
And it all seems to be east coast/southern discussions. Nothing for those of us up in the north LOL.
So to any 2015 parents lurking here with kids that won't have those scores, we will start our own thread for 'average' kids next year, right? Not that you all say 'not good enough', but if you have no chance of merit aid (and slim pickings getting into one of the better known state schools, and only a limited amount of cash, and you don't want your child to borrow because she's going into a low paying profession, it's really a different ball game.

I am learning a lot from you all. Mostly irrelevent, but a lot!
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #127
elgerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Sure, rub it in... LOL
I have no idea why I know that though, I think maybe from watching High School Musical 3, or The OC .
Old 04-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #128
elgerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutter View Post
So to any 2015 parents lurking here with kids that won't have those scores, we will start our own thread for 'average' kids next year, right? Not that you all say 'not good enough', but if you have no chance of merit aid (and slim pickings getting into one of the better known state schools, and only a limited amount of cash, and you don't want your child to borrow because she's going into a low paying profession, it's really a different ball game.

I am learning a lot from you all. Mostly irrelevent, but a lot!
I'm sorry, but just because my dd scores well, doesn't mean that we don't have a lot of the same issues. Most of the good state schools here, and many of the better private schools here do not offer merit aid. And I do not have a lot of cash either, and my daughter is also interested in majors/professions that are low paying, so I have the very same concerns as you do. I don't want her to have to borrow a lot of money either, but most places we are looking at it's pretty unavoidable.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #129
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
I think here in Indiana, it is a mix. It really depends on the school, not whether they are state or private.

There are some pretty competitive and selective state and private schools, but then there are some state and private schools that are where you go if you can't get in to one of the bigger name schools.
A few months ago there was a post from someone talking about Purdue being a prestige school. Living in Indiana my whole life, while Purdue is a great school I never thought of it as a prestige school. Not like I would Notre Dame or Rose Hulman.

My middle DS goes to Ball State. I know in the past it was always thought of as a safety school, but he knew he wanted T-comm and they have a great department. It was the only school he applied to and he applied early. He had a 3.3 and OK SAT scores. I am not sure of his class rank, but he was in the top 20% out of a class of 400 because he got an award of some kind for it. He only took the SATs once and he took it the morning of his brothers wedding, and 3 days after his grandfathers funeral, so he wasn't in the best shape, but he did ok. He got in with no problem, but no money was offered. Many kids from his school applied later with better grade points and SAT scores and they didn't get in.

DD should be OK for most schools in Indiana. I don't see her attending a Notre Dame or Rose Hulman type of school though. Right now she is an unweighted 3.9 and is about 6th in her class. We will see how she tests. Right now she is very interested in Indiana Wesleyan. She has done overnights there and has several friends that attend. We will see how it goes.

Our oldest attends Anderson University. I am really not sure how its thought of anymore, weather its a good school or not. I know lots of kids that attend there, but we are a big Church Of God area, so I know that plays into it. He is on the GI Bill, so we don't pay anything towards his schooling.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #130
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:

I'd say Kentucky is very similar.

Centre College is consistently ranked as one of the top schools in US News' rankings (with a hefty price tag to match!) ... it's very competitve to get in there. Some state schools are better than others. Same with the privates.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #131
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
A few months ago there was a post from someone talking about Purdue being a prestige school. Living in Indiana my whole life, while Purdue is a great school I never thought of it as a prestige school. Not like I would Notre Dame or Rose Hulman.
Purdue has an excellent engineering school. That much I know. DH had high hopes that middle DS would pursue that path ... but, he's not. LOL

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #132
elgerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post

Purdue has an excellent engineering school. That much I know. DH had high hopes that middle DS would pursue that path ... but, he's not. LOL
I had always heard Purdue was also a really good school. Frankly I really have no clue what's really good and what's not :-)
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #133
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

DS is 17 and a junior. All he knows is that he wants to go to college for computers. Exactly what he doesn't know.

He hasn't taken the SAT. I'm trying to get him registered for it but he can't remember the password or even what email address he used to originally sign up. there is only a couple of more days to sign up for the only one he is available for this summer and I'm gone for most of them. I'm getting very frustrated with him.

He hasn't looked at colleges, hasn't even tried to narrow down his interest. Other than the fact that he suddenly decided Georgia Tech looks good, that's it.

And I had to leave the room at that point so I could have a good laugh. His grades aren't good enough for GA Tech - one of the top schools in the state. He's not even at a 3.0 GPA. Middle of his class gradewise, no achievements.

And then we'll have to pay for whatever college he gets into. I need to say goodbye to my solo disney trips soon.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the final year of High School. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Connie

Not sure when my next trip will be

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips

Last edited by GaSleepingBeautyFan; 04-30-2013 at 05:19 PM.
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #134
Mom21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I avoid college confidential anymore. It's all people talking about their child graduating a year early and bragging about all their scores and activities and placements and class rankings and scholarships and acceptances and if you ask a legitimate question they are all over you like you are most stupid. It's awful.

Regarding ACT scores, you can look at your college websites and find out what their requirements for ACT scores for admittance/scholarships are to find a good baseline of what you need.
I think I will stay away from the site. Actually my dd skipped a year, and they wanted her to graduate this year which would make her 2 years early. Honestly I was glad she said no. I left it up to her. I find it causes more problems than anything. Can imagine a young 16yo heading off to college? She does want to go away because she doesn't have a school near us with what she wants. I'll just stick to this thread. Thanks for all the info. I'm lost. Things are nothing like when I was young. The pressure these kids are under is awful.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #135
Cinsu
Earning My Ears

Late to the party here and haven't read all the posts yet but wanted to chime in-- have a DS graduating in 2014. The whole college thing, SAT/ACT, class rank, the list goes on (as you all know) makes my head spin!
Glad you're all here to commiserate with!
Cinsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: