Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #91
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
I'm in NJ so I doubt anyone is interested.
I'm from NJ and I am somewhat interested
DD19 is at Ramapo and DD 17 will be going to community college unless she gets her act in gear and decides to really get interested in college
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #92
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

You have to be interested. No other state will have us.

DD is looking into a degree in marine science/bio.

We didn't do a tour of Rutgers but did Rutgers day last year and DD was there for two other days. We did not like it. Neither did her friend who went with us. Too big, too impersonal, the labs we saw (only two) were filthy. Not impressed.

Rowan was nice. Very small campus feel. Great food options. Great open house, very informative financial meeting, but not the right place for DD. Loved their food options, that the town was just down the road with shopping, etc. and their dorms were nice but small.

Richard Stockton College. We both loved it. Well, I love it, she really, really liked it. I think this would be the best fit for DD but she has her heart set on seeing Coastal Carolina University in SC. But this might be the one. Great open house, great campus, nice size freshman dorms, free laundry, free fridge/micro, free parking, freshman allowed to have cars. Police station on campus (not rent a cops/college security) and also a hospital. However, it's a drive to anywhere. DD was very impressed with the presentation for the marine science/bio major.

Saturday we're going to look at Monmouth University. Hear the campus is beautiful, but it's expensive.

Hope this helps!

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #93
kacaju
DIS Veteran

I have a friends whose dd's both go to Rutgers and I am not impressed with it either. My older dd did not want Rutgers because it is too close to home for her

DD19 is in Ramapo for nursing. She got into Stockton...but not for nursing. She got a letter saying *Hey, we want you, but not for nursing.. We have declared you *undecided*...Here is a list of all of our majors...pick a new one or we will keep you undecided.* Thanks, but no thanks!!

She loves, loves, loves Ramapo. Good luck!!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #94
PrincessKsMom

I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
I have a friends whose dd's both go to Rutgers and I am not impressed with it either. My older dd did not want Rutgers because it is too close to home for her

DD19 is in Ramapo for nursing. She got into Stockton...but not for nursing. She got a letter saying *Hey, we want you, but not for nursing.. We have declared you *undecided*...Here is a list of all of our majors...pick a new one or we will keep you undecided.* Thanks, but no thanks!!

She loves, loves, loves Ramapo. Good luck!!
Well wasn't that generous of them?

Thanks for the good word on Ramapo. As I mentioned, DD is looking for marine science so we're trying to use that as our first step in choosing which colleges we look at. Unfortunately we might be missing some really good schools because they don't offer that program, which worries me if DD changes her mind.

Good luck to your kids!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #95
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
As I mentioned, DD is looking for marine science so we're trying to use that as our first step in choosing which colleges we look at. Unfortunately we might be missing some really good schools because they don't offer that program, which worries me if DD changes her mind.

She needs to come down here and go to TAMUG with my son -- Marine Sciences and Marine Engineering are their main things. The school is on an island off of a bigger island, and "the ocean is their classroom." It's an amazing place. Have I mentioned I wish I would have gone there myself??

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #96
j's m
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You have to be interested. No other state will have us.

Saturday we're going to look at Monmouth University. Hear the campus is beautiful, but it's expensive.
My DS is a freshman and insisted on leaving the state!

We visited Monmouth and really loved the campus, the open house, the accounting program, etc. Our only problem was that we visited on a Saturday during the school year and saw very few students around other than the tour guides. We saw 2 students in the gym, 2 students heading to lunch and that was it. We had the feeling that it emptied out completely on weekends.

I agree with you on Rutgers, he could have had a free ride but even my cheap DH agreed even free, it wasn't for DS. Half the day riding buses to class was not our idea of college.

DS was at Stockton for a week 2 years ago for a Rotary conference. He said the food was great, the dorms were new and he loved the experience. I don't know much about their academics since they didn't have the right certification for his major.

What's wrong with Rowan? I graduated from there many years ago! Maybe the fact that it looks like 50 different people each designed their own buildings and nothing matches the other? Or they put a new building down to try and cover every inch of space? Or the parking is terrible?

Good luck with your search and I hope you find the perfect fit.
j's m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #97
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
She needs to come down here and go to TAMUG with my son -- Marine Sciences and Marine Engineering are their main things. The school is on an island off of a bigger island, and "the ocean is their classroom." It's an amazing place. Have I mentioned I wish I would have gone there myself??
That sounds like some program.

In all honesty we were going to stick to NJ schools hoping for a break with tuition but I found CCU and that's all she's thought about since then. I'm sure there are phenomenal schools out there that we haven't even considered but I'm not sure DD wants to go that far away from home. So with that and limited resources, it has been tough.

Someone else told me about Eckerd in FL too. My biggest concern is that even if she sticks with Marine Science, what is she going to do with that degree?

Wow I was shocked at how affordable that school is. Still don't think DD will want to go that far away, but it might be worth mentioning. Thank you!

Last edited by PrincessKsMom; 04-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #98
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by j's m View Post
My DS is a freshman and insisted on leaving the state!

We visited Monmouth and really loved the campus, the open house, the accounting program, etc. Our only problem was that we visited on a Saturday during the school year and saw very few students around other than the tour guides. We saw 2 students in the gym, 2 students heading to lunch and that was it. We had the feeling that it emptied out completely on weekends.

I agree with you on Rutgers, he could have had a free ride but even my cheap DH agreed even free, it wasn't for DS. Half the day riding buses to class was not our idea of college.

DS was at Stockton for a week 2 years ago for a Rotary conference. He said the food was great, the dorms were new and he loved the experience. I don't know much about their academics since they didn't have the right certification for his major.

What's wrong with Rowan? I graduated from there many years ago! Maybe the fact that it looks like 50 different people each designed their own buildings and nothing matches the other? Or they put a new building down to try and cover every inch of space? Or the parking is terrible?

Good luck with your search and I hope you find the perfect fit.
I'm sure most schools in NJ will be commuter schools. Not exactly ideal, but something that DD will consider. Also hoping to do our first visits now, then go back in the fall when school is back in session. Would also love to look into her spending the day with a student, attending classes, etc.

And with regard to Rowan . It wasn't bad, honestly. But so many people talk about that feeling you get -- when you know it's the one. Neither of us saw it as a great fit for her. But it definitely wasn't a total and complete NO like Rutgers was. And the first words out of my daughter's mouth was "I don't look good in Brown and Yellow".

Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #99
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure most schools in NJ will be commuter schools. Not exactly ideal, but something that DD will consider. Also hoping to do our first visits now, then go back in the fall when school is back in session. Would also love to look into her spending the day with a student, attending classes, etc.

And with regard to Rowan . It wasn't bad, honestly. But so many people talk about that feeling you get -- when you know it's the one. Neither of us saw it as a great fit for her. But it definitely wasn't a total and complete NO like Rutgers was. And the first words out of my daughter's mouth was "I don't look good in Brown and Yellow".
You know..I hear the same about Ramapo, it is a suitcase school...party school.. whatever... My dd is very happy there. she is on the dance team so she never comes home on the weekends because she always has practice Sunday morning. A HS classmate is there too and is always home. So a lot depends on what your child makes of it. Does my dd party? I have no idea, but she could come home and party too...
MU is right near the beach.. your dd may enjoy spending as much time as she can at the beach if that is her interest. My dd... I swear.. LIVES in the Ramapo Reservation, she is always there, she hikes up there all the time. If she was going to MU I bet she'd be on the beach if she wasn't in class. What does your dd do for downtime? What school would be good for her *downtime*?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #100
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
What does your dd do for downtime? What school would be good for her *downtime*?
Well isn't that the $64,000 question. DD is very much a home body. She doesn't hang out often because, as she puts it, "would you like me to hang out with the drunks or the potheads?" Her favorite EC is color guard. Which is a big reason we were looking at Coastal Carolina. Now she's only been in guard for one year, so who knows if she's good enough to make a college team, but that's what she enjoys. Stockton and Monmouth don't. A big reason why I want her to go away to college is so that she will find her place and meet new people. It could backfire and she could wind up staying in all the time, but I'm hoping that won't happen. She's not antisocial and she's definitely not a wallflower, but she's also comfortable with herself and likes to stay away from the drama. So what will she do in her down time? Maybe she will be home every weekend if she's in NJ. Who knows. She's the type of kid that if someone says "hey come on, let's go do ____" she'll go, but she certainly won't be the one to initiate things. And she does love the beach, so maybe she'll spend all her free time there, enjoying her own company.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #101
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

If any of your students took the ACT on April 13th, scores were posted this morning online.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #102
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuvsD View Post
On the ACT vs SAT question:

She didn't use her SAT scores to apply for college, she used the ACT scores that were much higher.
DS#1 was the same way. His SAT scores weren't great but his ACT was crazy good, so he just used that when applying to school. He got into his first choice with academic scholarships that way.

We're having DS#2 take them both and then we'll see which is better for him.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #103
Mom21
DIS Veteran

Got dd's ACT score today. What is considered "good"?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #104
AboutTheMouse
Mouseketeer

We got DS' ACT scores yesterday and he added three points, four if you super-score. We are so very excited for him - he can pretty much pick where he wants to go to school.

As far as what is good, it is subjective. Depends on the student and what they want to study and where they want to go to school. DS is looking at aerospace engineering so he needs a high ACT, good gpa and high class rank to even be considered for some schools.
AboutTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #105
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
Got dd's ACT score today. What is considered "good"?
that depends on what you're using the score for. obviously, the higher the better ... but I would qualify "good" as anything over 28 for MY son. for someone who's a struggling student, a 22 may be good.

we were thrilled with DS 30+ score last month. his best friend got the exact same score, and his parents were bitterly disappointed. so, there you go. LOLOL

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread