Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #856
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieNM View Post
Did you lose your job? Sending good thoughts your way. Happy Birthday to your daughter!
Yes laid off this morning. Not even sure which way is up.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #857
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post

So, so sorry... Keeping you in my thoughts.

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #858
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

So sorry elgerber. That's horrible. Hope you are able to find something else soon.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #859
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
So, how the heck does it affect your FAFSA when you lose your job?
first off .... I'm so sorry!

to answer your question, the FAFSA is based on taxes, which would be last year's income. with that said, I would contact the FA office of the schools under consideration and the high school guidance office and explain your circumstances. they should be able to give you some solid advice.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #860
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

Quote:
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope you find another job soon!

In answer to your question, I found this. It's from last year, but the info would still apply:

" Changes in Household Income
Q.
If a parent has lost her job or been cut back at work during the previous year, so that income for the previous tax year does not reflect the family’s current income, does Fafsa have a way to disclose this? Will this be taken into account in determining the student’s need?

— Kate

A.
The Fafsa calculates ability to pay based on income during the previous tax year. If you are applying for the 2013-14 academic year, you should provide income information from the 2012 tax year.

The Fafsa form does not have a means for disclosing to colleges significant change in income resulting from job loss, salary reduction, suspension of bonuses, death of a wage-earner or other unusual circumstances.

Instead, the family should ask the college financial aid administrator for a professional judgment review. Some colleges will switch the family from prior year income to an estimate of income during the current calendar or academic year.

Every $10,000 reduction in income will yield about a $3,000 difference in the expected family contribution. If the family normally has volatile income from one year to the next, some colleges will substitute an average of income during the last three to five years.s"

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ype=blogs&_r=0
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #861
PrincessKsMom

I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Found this interesting on the FAFSA website:

"The 2014-2015 IRS Data Retrieval Tool will be available on Feb. 2nd. However, please keep in mind that the IRS will begin processing most tax returns on Jan. 31 or later to accommodate the delay in processing due to the government shutdown."

Maybe you all knew this already, but I didn't.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #862
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear this. How are you doing?
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #863
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Quote:
We were in this position a couple of years ago when our older son was going to college. The schools he was interested in were very willing to take note of our changed circumstances, but required some kind of proof - Unemployment application, follow-up when he was entering school, etc. Good luck to you. It's such a hard thing to go through!

I kind of dropped out of this thread for a while, because DS18 had decided to do community college for a year, but he changed his mind during the fall. He now wants to go away, and found the one school he wants to apply to (it's a state school, he shouldn't have any problem getting in, and we're hoping he gets into their honors program). He doesn't want to apply to any other schools, which is fine - he's prepared to go to CC for a year if he doesn't get in here, which is pretty unlikely.

But he needs to write a personal essay for the application, and it's very important, because he's on the edge for the honors program (essay is required for general admission, not just honors program) - and he's just not getting it done! He won't listen to any suggestions for how to write a good essay, from me or from books/websites, isn't putting time into it, and his first draft was lackluster and not up to par (he's an excellent writer, and is planning to be an English major, so I don't get it). This is all his idea, I'm ok with either away or CC. Do I back off and let him deal with the consequences, or do I keep pushing? He loves this school, it really is a good fit for him, and he says he definitely wants to go away, but I'm not seeing any effort. Help!

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #864
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

Sometimes lack of effort is lack of effort. Other times it is fear: fear of failure, fear of the next step, big change. See if his English teacher will review the essay (neutral person). I would keep nagging....umm reminding....
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #865
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
We were in this position a couple of years ago when our older son was going to college. The schools he was interested in were very willing to take note of our changed circumstances, but required some kind of proof - Unemployment application, follow-up when he was entering school, etc. Good luck to you. It's such a hard thing to go through! I kind of dropped out of this thread for a while, because DS18 had decided to do community college for a year, but he changed his mind during the fall. He now wants to go away, and found the one school he wants to apply to (it's a state school, he shouldn't have any problem getting in, and we're hoping he gets into their honors program). He doesn't want to apply to any other schools, which is fine - he's prepared to go to CC for a year if he doesn't get in here, which is pretty unlikely. But he needs to write a personal essay for the application, and it's very important, because he's on the edge for the honors program (essay is required for general admission, not just honors program) - and he's just not getting it done! He won't listen to any suggestions for how to write a good essay, from me or from books/websites, isn't putting time into it, and his first draft was lackluster and not up to par (he's an excellent writer, and is planning to be an English major, so I don't get it). This is all his idea, I'm ok with either away or CC. Do I back off and let him deal with the consequences, or do I keep pushing? He loves this school, it really is a good fit for him, and he says he definitely wants to go away, but I'm not seeing any effort. Help!
Sounds like Senioritis which hits about this time of the year. Many kids are tired, have little motivation, and just want to be done with high school and any kind of assignment that involves sustained effort. When is the application deadline? He may think he has all the time in the world and is therefore not in a big rush. Let him know how his procrastination could impact his college expenses and set small goals with him. Say, by this date, you'll have revised the first paragraph. Then by this date he will have revised a couple more paragraphs. That way he's not looking at the whole essay all at once which can be daunting. Maybe he's not happy with his topic which is holding him back. Or maybe he is a bit fearful of going to college which is stopping him. Have a heart-to-heart talk with him and see if you can get to the root of the problem.

Good luck!
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #866
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
Do I back off and let him deal with the consequences, or do I keep pushing? He loves this school, it really is a good fit for him, and he says he definitely wants to go away, but I'm not seeing any effort. Help!
this is my son ... mostly. (he has always wanted to go away. no staying here for CC, that's the only real difference)

I let it go after a certain point. He was getting constant emails from the schools on his list. They all had the same deadline, so he was aware of how much time there was before it was too late. I would have preferred that he finish everything before the holidays, but true to his personality ... he didn't. That was when I stopped reminding him about things.

In the end, he got everything turned in before the deadline. On his own. I never saw an essay or application, but he'll have to accept what happens if he didn't do his best work.

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #867
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuvsD View Post
Sometimes lack of effort is lack of effort. Other times it is fear: fear of failure, fear of the next step, big change. See if his English teacher will review the essay (neutral person). I would keep nagging....umm reminding....
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
Sounds like Senioritis which hits about this time of the year. Many kids are tired, have little motivation, and just want to be done with high school and any kind of assignment that involves sustained effort. When is the application deadline? He may think he has all the time in the world and is therefore not in a big rush. Let him know how his procrastination could impact his college expenses and set small goals with him. Say, by this date, you'll have revised the first paragraph. Then by this date he will have revised a couple more paragraphs. That way he's not looking at the whole essay all at once which can be daunting. Maybe he's not happy with his topic which is holding him back. Or maybe he is a bit fearful of going to college which is stopping him. Have a heart-to-heart talk with him and see if you can get to the root of the problem.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
this is my son ... mostly. (he has always wanted to go away. no staying here for CC, that's the only real difference)

I let it go after a certain point. He was getting constant emails from the schools on his list. They all had the same deadline, so he was aware of how much time there was before it was too late. I would have preferred that he finish everything before the holidays, but true to his personality ... he didn't. That was when I stopped reminding him about things.

In the end, he got everything turned in before the deadline. On his own. I never saw an essay or application, but he'll have to accept what happens if he didn't do his best work.
Thanks. There's not really a deadline, but the college's honors program counselor suggested he wait until 1st semester grades are available - which is this week (he got straight As), and the program keeps accepting kids until they hit their max, which they say is usually April or May. He doesn't have a choice of topic, so that's not it. Since this is the ONLY school he's interested in, and the honors program automatically awards thousands of $$$, it's in his best interest to get this done!!! I've tried to get him to open up about what's going on but frankly, I really think, from his responses, that it's laziness. Guess I'll keep pushing!

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #868
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

If there is serious money involved, try a bribe: if you finish by date X you can have (new computer game, whatever). If not, nagging sounds good!
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #869
PrincessKsMom

Today's Gold Box special on Amazon is Swiss Gear backpacks at a big discount just in case you want to start your college shopping now. Also found a great website: dormco.com

Old 01-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #870
PrincessKsMom

Good news! DD just got her acceptance letter for Stockton's Honors Program. So excited for her.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: