Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #751
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Got our second acceptance letter today, with a $6k per year scholarship. Unfortunately, that would leave me paying about $30 a year. And this is DD's #1 school. Breaks my heart that I just can't afford it.

As I mentioned previously, she was accepted to a state school (her #2) over the summer and that will be about $18k a year. I just can't justified an additional $12k a year for her to go to school in SC, which would cost a lot more and then we have to pay for transportation, etc.

I know she was disappointed when she opened the letter, but it's just one of those things in life. I have to believe she'll be right where she's supposed to be, for one reason or another.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #752
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

My dd got a letter from her school yesterday inviting her to enroll in their honors program. The letter is so vague, I dont even really know what it means to be part of the honors program, or what it entails/requires.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #753
madge
... is soaking in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post
My dd got a letter from her school yesterday inviting her to enroll in their honors program. The letter is so vague, I dont even really know what it means to be part of the honors program, or what it entails/requires.
DS has been invited to apply separately to honors programs at 2 different schools, and one of the scholarships he's applied to (at a 3rd school) includes automatic admission to their honors college. I think it means different things at different schools ... but overall, it's my understanding that honors colleges are a way to give a student a more "liberal arts college" education/feel at a big public university.

one of the programs we've looked at has a Disney class. LOL

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #754
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

DD received another academic acceptence this weekend. Much to our surprise she received a nice Merit scholarship to one of the schools. She won't hear from anywhere else until March.

We are touring University of Maryland this very rainy day. I skipped the walking tour in favor of staying dry and posting here. Lol. We had a nice performing arts facilities tour and after the standard tour dd has a meeting with the performing arts departmet and DH has a tour of the new physics lab/department with the dean. DH is an alum.

Happy Thanksgiving.
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #755
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
DS has been invited to apply separately to honors programs at 2 different schools, and one of the scholarships he's applied to (at a 3rd school) includes automatic admission to their honors college. I think it means different things at different schools ... but overall, it's my understanding that honors colleges are a way to give a student a more "liberal arts college" education/feel at a big public university.

one of the programs we've looked at has a Disney class. LOL
Two of the honors programs my daughter is applying to mean that you have to take one or two specific honors level classes (in a smaller class with the other members of the honors program) for the first 4 semesters, and if you maintain a 3.5 overall GPA each semster you get FREE TUITION (or at one of them if you keep a 3.2 GPA you get half tuition). And those classes fit the general education requirements. I've got my fingers crossed for that.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #756
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post
I would also love to hear others' experiences/knowledge about this.

I was going to ask this same question a couple of days ago. The explanation on the invite to apply that DD received assumed we knew what it was all about. DD got the letter a month ago and dismissed it thinking that was not her thing. Well then we went to a fall preview day at the university on Saturday and got more info. It is a liberal arts smaller school within a school which reminded me of how DD's gifted seminar classes have been, especially in high school. The person we spoke with said that kids who thrive on class discussions, writing papers, and participating in group projects as opposed to taking exams to show their knowledge thrive in this setting. She said there aren't any exams. However, those who prefer to sit in the back of the class, soak it all in, and take exams to show their knowledge do not do as well with this approach. DD does like the part about not taking exams. I am still a bit confused though on which types of classes DD would be able to take in place of her core classes. I'm guessing it would be for English, History, and Anthropology types of classes and electives. The benefits are smaller class sizes, priority registration, a dedicated dorm (optional) a dedicated area for hanging out and for studying, advisors who actually know who you are (this school is very large), and opportunities to study abroad while paying the same tuition. There are more benefits, but I don't remember the rest. DD is basically in if she chooses this. She just has to submit the application as a formality. We are still not sure how the whole thing would work as a pre-med student.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #757
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

Every honors program works a little differently. Start with the college website, check prior semester course catalogs for honors courses, search for honors program activities. Then call the campus and talk to someone in the department (not admissions).

It is likely to not be a binding application, but you might ask if you can opt out.

Congrats and good luck!
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #758
IDoDis

DD did some more research on the Honors College and decided she wanted to apply as a "designation" so she submitted the online application. She will be required to take 15 hours of honors courses which will be replacements for other core required classes. As a freshman, she will take one "Legacy" class which will replace a required humanities class. For example, she can take "Legacy of American Drama" for a humanities core class.

Remember how she didn't jive with that AP Psych class with the 100 question tests every 2 weeks? Well, now she can take something else in place of that psych class like, "The Collective Globalization of Human Rights" and demonstrate her knowledge through papers and projects instead. This is right up her alley. Classes are small, like 12 students per class.

In addition to the other benefits I posted about earlier, she will also have an honors designation on her diploma when she graduates. This does seem like a great opportunity, so those who have received an invitation letter to apply should really look into it. DD almost blew it off because she had no idea what it was really about.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #759
elgerber

Yesterday at dinner they made us say what we are thankful for. After much thought my dd says she is thankful she has found a field of study she wants to go into and how she is so excited for college and to get started with something she is so passionate about ( film\cinema arts and she was almost in tears saying it)
This morning I find this article in yesterday's paper, this is the school she is going too...
http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=233698591
Old 11-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #760
elgerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
. This does seem like a great opportunity, so those who have received an invitation letter to apply should really look into it. DD almost blew it off because she had no idea what it was really about.
That's fantastic for her!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #761
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Dd asked about the honors college when we toured the college she is going to. She had received an invitation to apply. It said she would have more scholarships available, but when we asked the head of her department of her major, he said they had only had one student that attended the honors college. Her major takes too much of her time and its almost impossible to do honors college or play a sport. I had assumed she would play golf, but she is now not planning on playing. All I see is more money, more money!

I think her brothers are on their way to becoming professional students, so I need someone to get more scholarship money!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #762
IDoDis

December is upon us. I hope everyone is hanging in there! DD received a quite honorable award this week through our public school district. It's called a "Selfless Senior" award and is given to high school seniors who volunteer in the community outside of their schools and have not been recognized at the school level for their community service. We have 14 traditional (non-charter) high schools in the district. 27 or 28 students in the district receive the award (approx 2 per high school). It's a pretty big deal here. The students will all get their photograph taken by a well-known photographer here in the city who sponsors the program. The photos will be in the newspaper and are made into a large poster collage and displayed in each high school, at the two large shopping malls, at the airport, and at the school district's administrative office complex. There will also be a large recognition ceremony in March and recognition at a school board meeting. Needless to say, I'm a vey proud mom!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #763
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

Congrats, IDoDis!
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #764
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
December is upon us. I hope everyone is hanging in there! DD received a quite honorable award this week through our public school district. It's called a "Selfless Senior" award and is given to high school seniors who volunteer in the community outside of their schools and have not been recognized at the school level for their community service. We have 14 traditional (non-charter) high schools in the district. 27 or 28 students in the district receive the award (approx 2 per high school). It's a pretty big deal here. The students will all get their photograph taken by a well-known photographer here in the city who sponsors the program. The photos will be in the newspaper and are made into a large poster collage and displayed in each high school, at the two large shopping malls, at the airport, and at the school district's administrative office complex. There will also be a large recognition ceremony in March and recognition at a school board meeting. Needless to say, I'm a vey proud mom!
That's great! Congratulations!
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #765
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Congrats!!!! Your dd sounds wonderful.
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: