Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #526
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge
 
IDoDis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,127

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
I'm worried about DD being ostracized as well. Her answer to these issues now is to just stay home and avoid the parties and friends when they're drinking, etc. How she'll manage that in college, I have no idea. She's also a little concerned with the suitcase aspect of it, but hopefully we'll buy her a used car so she can come home if she wants. I'm just going to trust that everything will work out, and if it doesn't then we'll deal with it when it happens. Unfortunately many of the schools we were looking at were either in NJ or had a huge NY/NJ population, so I'm not sure it would have been any different elsewhere.

Sending and for you and your son. And thank you for sharing your experiences with me.
I lived at home when I was in undergrad school, but I spent my last semester of my senior year studying at the University of London tied to a program called, "The London Semester." It was my only experience living in dorm-like conditions I shared a room with two other girls who I'd never met who were also in the program from other universities. One girl was from Stockton College!

Both of my roommates drank and entertained boys non-stop. I was ostracized because while I went out and had fun at times, I took school seriously and wanted to finish with good grades. So, many times I passed on the partying and was eventually out of their group. It was hurtful to me at the time, but nothing I lost sleep over. A lot of the kids including BOTH of my roommates did not end up graduating that spring upon their return to the states because they messed up so badly in London.

Is your DD going to live at home or live in the dorms? If she's in the dorms, hopefully she'll find a good match for a roommate.
__________________
Disney World ~ Offsite, 1972, Disneyland ~ Offsite, 1991 & 1993
Disneyland ~ Paradise Pier Hotel, Oct '02,
Disneyland ~ Disneyland Hotel, Oct '04
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #527
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question
 
PrincessKsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,138

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoDis View Post
.

I lived at home when I was in undergrad school, but I spent my last semester of my senior year studying at the University of London tied to a program called, "The London Semester." It was my only experience living in dorm-like conditions I shared a room with two other girls who I'd never met who were also in the program from other universities. One girl was from Stockton College!

Both of my roommates drank and entertained boys non-stop. I was ostracized because while I went out and had fun at times, I took school seriously and wanted to finish with good grades. So, many times I passed on the partying and was eventually out of their group. It was hurtful to me at the time, but nothing I lost sleep over. A lot of the kids including BOTH of my roommates did not end up graduating that spring upon their return to the states because they messed up so badly in London.

Is your DD going to live at home or live in the dorms? If she's in the dorms, hopefully she'll find a good match for a roommate.
She'll be living in the dorms. We live about 2 hours from Stockton so there's no way she could commute. And she's really looking for the whole college experience. I worry, but I'm a mom, I always worry. I wanted her to look into Honors housing because they sent her an application to apply but she wants no part of it. She wants the whole, regular college experience. She also is thinking about pledging to a sorority. No like me at all in that regard. I guess she'll learn to adjust one way or the other. Worst case scenario she comes home and transfers schools, but I can't imagine she wouldn't have to deal with these types of situations anywhere. I just hope she doesn't get caught up in the party scene because it's easier to go along to get along.
__________________
7/79 - Off site; 7/80 - Off site; 11/98 - Off site; 1/05 - CBR; 2/06 - ASMovies; 8/08 - ASMovies; 8/09 - CBR; 4/10 - CBR

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #528
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes
 
njmom47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,147

Purchased Senior portraits yesterday. $378.01. And that was just about the cheapest route I could go. (I mean, I could've done the basic pkg but I know he will want his sports pic and there's multiple sets of g-parents.) Dd#2's photos were under $200 and she was class of 2011.
__________________
Me DH DD 22 DD 21 DS 18 And on 10/11/10 I became a DG

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #529
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,851

DS logged into the Howdy Portal and got those magic words from A&M...

Application Status: WHOOP! You have been ADMITTED




Now he's just hoping the actual letter comes soon, so he can hold it in his hands.
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #530
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794

Yay! for Gina's S!

Love that: "Admitted" Enjoy the snail mail letter!
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #531
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?
 
Jeafl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: NW suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 7,647

I know I am late to this party, but may I join in??

I came home the other day to find m daughter crying at the kitchen table. Long story short, we visited Purdue last week and she fell in love with it. She was pretty sure she would get admitted, or at least very hopeful. She got a 32 on her ACT, and her GPA is around a 4.2. She also took 4 years of engineering classes, all the math and science that she needed, and thought she was in good shape.

Well, a rep from Purdue came to her school so she went to talk with her. The rep told her that everything looked great EXCEPT she is short one year of social sciences. Instead of taking a third year of that she took an AP computer science class which she thought would benefit her more. The rep said absolutely no exceptions to the social science rule.

So now she is devastated. There is no room in her schedule, and it is too late anyway at this point. We are going to call Purdue on Monday and ask if they would accept a psychology class from the community college if she did it over the summer.

All her other college choices are distant second choices. I have no idea of what she is going to do if she can't go to Purdue. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
__________________
Jill
Jeafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #532
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 794

See if she can take the social studies/college course online. There are a lot of college courses online, some have different start dates.

Utah online classes start date in January: http://www.schools.utah.gov/CURR/soc...-Schedule.aspx

Ask about a CLEP course--she would have to self study and pass the test, but it should be doable.

Purdue transfer info (the community college class would be a transfer credit)
http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/transfercredit/

Good luck!

Last edited by TLuvsD; 09-28-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added CLEP
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #533
camreesmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
DS logged into the Howdy Portal and got those magic words from A&M... Application Status: WHOOP! You have been ADMITTED Now he's just hoping the actual letter comes soon, so he can hold it in his hands.
WHOOP!!! That is AWESOME!!! That has to be a great feeling. Congrats!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
julie
camreesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #534
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge
 
IDoDis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeafl View Post
I know I am late to this party, but may I join in??

I came home the other day to find m daughter crying at the kitchen table. Long story short, we visited Purdue last week and she fell in love with it. She was pretty sure she would get admitted, or at least very hopeful. She got a 32 on her ACT, and her GPA is around a 4.2. She also took 4 years of engineering classes, all the math and science that she needed, and thought she was in good shape.

Well, a rep from Purdue came to her school so she went to talk with her. The rep told her that everything looked great EXCEPT she is short one year of social sciences. Instead of taking a third year of that she took an AP computer science class which she thought would benefit her more. The rep said absolutely no exceptions to the social science rule.

So now she is devastated. There is no room in her schedule, and it is too late anyway at this point. We are going to call Purdue on Monday and ask if they would accept a psychology class from the community college if she did it over the summer.

All her other college choices are distant second choices. I have no idea of what she is going to do if she can't go to Purdue. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Awww, I hope things work out. What about taking a dual-enrollment social sciences class in the spring at your local university and transferring the credit? Or would that make her app too late as far as scholarships go? Worst case scenario is she does a semester at a different school, gets that class taken care of and then transfers. Would that work?
__________________
Disney World ~ Offsite, 1972, Disneyland ~ Offsite, 1991 & 1993
Disneyland ~ Paradise Pier Hotel, Oct '02,
Disneyland ~ Disneyland Hotel, Oct '04
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:18 PM   #535
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 534

A lot has gone on for everyone this last week. Things here have been busy busy.

DD has a learning difference (LD) so it takes her 5 days to take the ACTs, so finally it is done. In the middle of the ACTs she had a two day Physics (AP level) exam. She studied more for that exam then any other test she has ever taken. She had an A going into the exam but it is doubtful she will when she gets it back. She does not test well and his tests are very tricky according to my husband who has his undergrad degree in physics. He gets really annoyed because he does not think that is necessary in high school and feels it turns a lot of kids away from science. He thinks there should be one or two tricky questions but not every question. Oh well, it is good for us to learn to let go which for me is nearly impossible. Life is not fair why should we expect school to be? Ok, easier said then done, actually this is the first time I have tried to embrace this attitude. Maybe I can send DH to see the teacher.

Like Gina and PrincessKmom' kids our DD is really enjoying senior year. It is ironic as she hated junior year and could not wait to be done with school. Now she is embracing all the social aspects with a level of sentimentality that is new to her. She dressed up everyday for spirit week, planning outfits with friends, going to as many games as she could squeeze in. Attending homecoming with 5 other couples. Then partying to all hours afterwards. She even commented on, how can she leave our beautiful home, the view and the animals. Until now she could not wait to get out of dodge.

Senior photos went well but we were rained out of our last location so we have to reschedule that one but it is easier said then done with DDs schedule. Tomorrow the photographer generously offered to come to DDs dance studio to take a photo she needs for her audition next weekend. Her teacher is going to make sure she is positioned well. This school is a safety for academics for dd but is a top tier dance program with barely a 10% admit rate so we shall see how it works out. Last night when we were taking homecoming photos our friends said their daughter also applied to this school, but is not applying to a performing arts so it was so simple. DD has to do an additional app for the dance program as well as resume, photo, and audition. oh well it will be a fun weekend away.

IDODIS- how is the psych class issue going? Any updates?

I hope everyone has a good week.
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #536
madge
... is soaking in it
 
madge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,067

if your student took the ACT (without writing) last Saturday ... there's a site where you can check the score early, if the ACT site shows the student as tested, not registered.

www.earlyactscore.com

------

busy week here. end of the first 9 weeks, several projects and such due before fall break begins.
__________________

Shades of Green ~ Dixie Landings ~ Swan/Dolphin (Club Level) ~ Contemporary ~
Wilderness Lodge
~ Coronado Springs ~ Polynesian ~ Pop Century~
Boardwalk (shhhh .... just mom!) ~ Ft. Wilderness Cabins

offsite stays:
HGVC - Sea World (2002)
Silver Lake - Silver Points (2004)
Vistana Villages (2007)
Cypress Pointe Grandvillas (2008)
Thanks, Disbug!!

madge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #537
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by camreesmom View Post
WHOOP!!! That is AWESOME!!! That has to be a great feeling. Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuvsD View Post
Yay! for Gina's S!
Love that: "Admitted" Enjoy the snail mail letter!


Thanks!! He got his "Congratulations and Howdy!" letter on Saturday -- He is one happy Aggie.

Now it's just a matter of stressing out about scholarships and finaid, and casing which banks we want to knock over, lol. I have to believe it'll all work out, somehow. Aside from that, all there is to do is convince him that he needs to head to college with more than a toothbrush and a change of underwear!
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #538
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round
 
elgerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 14,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Thanks!! He got his "Congratulations and Howdy!" letter on Saturday -- He is one happy Aggie.

Now it's just a matter of stressing out about scholarships and finaid, and casing which banks we want to knock over, lol. I have to believe it'll all work out, somehow. Aside from that, all there is to do is convince him that he needs to head to college with more than a toothbrush and a change of underwear!

congrats to him!!! Did the send anything fun with the letter? My dd got a window decal with hers (which I keep forgetting to put on her car).

Sorry to everyone else who is stressing!!!! I am still stressing the two AP classes, but the Econ class is back to 100%.
I hope she is enjoying her senior year, for some reason she didn't go the homecoming dance after the game, like she was planning to. She said nothing was wrong, and then said she didn't have any cash to get in. Then I went to bed worrying about her and something upsetting her, UGH, I worry to much about everything.
__________________
Erika
elgerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #539
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran
 
GaSleepingBeautyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,600

I submitted the senior ad for DS17 that I had to pay for last spring. The due date is tomorrow so I couldn't put it off any longer. I put in a picture of him as a 3 year old as well as a casual shot from his graduation pics. Then I had to write something. That was hard and the reason why I kept putting it off.

My DS17 has finally started to jump on the college bandwagon too.

He had a meeting with his High School Counselor last week and even asked me to take him to the High School tonight for their College Fair. Over 100 colleges are there with their information and many of them had a student or two along with the admissions person which was great.

He decided on 4 colleges he wanted to talk to so he did. It was interesting watching him ask questions and find out what was important to him because in the past he didn't take the lead. This time I told him I was just the chauffeur so he needed to ask the questions.

Next up he has to coordinate the open houses of the 4 colleges and make the appointments.
And he has his 2nd SAT testing coming up this Saturday.

Yay for him finally getting interested and involved!

On the minus side he totally messed up his latest AP Environmental Science test. He completely flunked it which tanked his grade for the class. Ugh. Senioritis is kicking in.
__________________
Me DD14 DS18 DH Lola Rocky

Connie


WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #540
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran
 
GaSleepingBeautyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,600

Odd. This posted twice.
__________________
Me DD14 DS18 DH Lola Rocky

Connie


WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: