Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #211
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Last day of DS's Junior year today... Well, last few hours, it's early release. Got a postcard in the mail yesterday for Senior portraits in less than two weeks. I'm not ready!!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #212
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

No matter what the financial situation, I'd read "Paying for College without Going Broke". Most schools require the forms even for merit aid, and the instructions in that book are very helpful.

There is a lot of information on the College Confidential website. There are parents forums set up by class (look for class of XXXX). There are forums on admissions, etc. It's easy to get overwhelmed, and you need to take some posts with a grain of salt, but there is a LOT of good, current information.

Good luck, it's an exciting, although stressful, time.
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #213
Gina

Just wanted to wish our kids good luck who are taking the ACT tomorrow! My DS is one of them!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #214
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Hoping someone can shine some light on something for me. DD is finishing up junior year. Just finished exams last week. We had attended an open house at Richard Stockton College (NJ) a few months ago and she received an email invitiation to attend a pre-senior instant decision day in August. Not only will they give you an offer, but they'll tell you what scholarships they will give you as well. There was an application form to be filled out by her GC showing her class ranking and cumulative GPA as of the end of the year. Unfortunately, this information is not available until September of senior year. She did supply us with a class ranking as of the end of the third marking period and her GPA to that point, but I'm not sure that will be enough. We are VERY interested in Stockton's marine science program and I'd hate to let this opportunity slip by. I have a call into Stockton's admissions dept to see of this will be enough information.

Anyone run into anything similar? Have any ideas?

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #215
PrincessKsMom

I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

One more question. After a student takes the SAT is the school automatically sent their grades? We did not choose any schools to send them to because we weren't sure where we were going to look. The form specifically says that the GC needs to fill in the SAT scores but she's telling me I need to send them from College Boards. I can do that, no problem. But again, the form is asking her to fill them in. I sent her a copy of the scores for a scholarship application we were submitting for Girls State so I'm not sure why it's a problem for her now.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #216
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
Hoping someone can shine some light on something for me. DD is finishing up junior year. Just finished exams last week. We had attended an open house at Richard Stockton College (NJ) a few months ago and she received an email invitiation to attend a pre-senior instant decision day in August. Not only will they give you an offer, but they'll tell you what scholarships they will give you as well. There was an application form to be filled out by her GC showing her class ranking and cumulative GPA as of the end of the year. Unfortunately, this information is not available until September of senior year. She did supply us with a class ranking as of the end of the third marking period and her GPA to that point, but I'm not sure that will be enough. We are VERY interested in Stockton's marine science program and I'd hate to let this opportunity slip by. I have a call into Stockton's admissions dept to see of this will be enough information.

Anyone run into anything similar? Have any ideas?
We also visited Stockton and got that email (I think everyone who visited did). Why isn't your dd's info available until September? Especially the cumulative GPA-that isn't going to change My dd's cumulative GPA will be on her final report card. The email said if your school doesn't rank they want a comparable GPA so maybe your dd's GPA would be enough. It sounded like a good opportunity!
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #217
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
One more question. After a student takes the SAT is the school automatically sent their grades? We did not choose any schools to send them to because we weren't sure where we were going to look. The form specifically says that the GC needs to fill in the SAT scores but she's telling me I need to send them from College Boards. I can do that, no problem. But again, the form is asking her to fill them in. I sent her a copy of the scores for a scholarship application we were submitting for Girls State so I'm not sure why it's a problem for her now.
My understanding is that the high school does receive the SAT scores from the college board as long as the high school was listed on your dd's SAT registration paperwork. Who is "she" in your post? Your hs guidance counselor? Then I would think she should have those scores. If she doesn't for some reason, I can see why they want an official transcript from the college board rather than just a copy from you.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #218
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

Send the scores from College Board--many high schools do not send SAT scores. They are not automatically sent to the high school.

Send the Admissions Office an email once you speak with them...ie written follow up. It is likely they have encountered this situation in the past. "Thank you for speaking with us regarding Suzy Q's rank and gpa. We have contacted Ms. Counslor at XZY High School and asked her to send them as soon as they are available in Sept. We appreciate your fleixiblity in accepting the 3rd quarter rank/gpa pending confirmation of similar rank/gpa in Sept." Make sure you save the email both electronically and print it out.

When you go in August take everything with you--including her final grades for this semester, the SAT score report, etc. Likely you will just be carrying around extra paper, but best to have it with you and not need it.

Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #219
PrincessKsMom

Thanks for your ideas.

Yes "she" is my DD's GC. Sorry about that.

I spoke with Admissions at Stockton. They said that a GPA/ranking through the end of the 3rd semester will be fine. The invitation is only for those who are in top 20% (DD is 5%) and have a minimum SAT combined CR+M of at least 1130 (DD's score). She did say this will need an official transcript from DD's GC and that someone will be there all summer so someone should be able to get it to me for DD to bring with her in August. She also indicated that I can print out DD's scores from College Board and the GC can use those, simply indicating that she got them from a copy of our account that we printed and supplied.

I've gotten a pushback from DD's GC in almost everything we've asked about or for. I understand there are only 7 GC's for almost 2600 student and that senior's take priority at the moment, and that they are all overworked and underpaid, but I can't let this opportunity go. And yet her GC nominated he for Girls State so go figure. But even with the forms that needed to be filled out for that she seemed somewhat put upon.

Admissions also said that the spots fill up extremely quickly and without the GC faxing her the information ASAP, there will not be a space for DD. DD's last day is Wednesday and I'm concerned that once she's out I'll never reach her GC by phone. It was actually a lucky break that I got her when I called this afternoon.

Guidance has always said class ranking and GPAs will not be available until September of senior year. No idea why. It's very frustrating.

And TLuvsD, I like the idea of the follow up email to Admissions. Thanks!

Sorry if I was rambling but scholarships are very important for us and it would be nice to know what they're offering as early as possible.

ETA: Admissions said that if I send DD's scores directly from College Board, they won't know what to do with them because they won't be accompanied by the application (which is faxed from GC). They ask that GC just write the scores in on the application. Once they approve that short application, then they will confirm there is a spot for DD and tell us what else they need.

Last edited by PrincessKsMom; 06-17-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Forgot something..
Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #220
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

Can you make an appointment to see the GC? Bring the scores and the form, get it filled out and faxed.

Send a thank you email (cc the principal)....and leave a thank you Starbucks card. You might need help next year...

We could get offical transcripts from the school registrar, so you might call and ask if that is who you contact. A lot of parents didn't know that, and spent a lot of time waiting for the GC's when the registrars office had no waiting.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #221
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuvsD View Post
Can you make an appointment to see the GC? Bring the scores and the form, get it filled out and faxed.

Send a thank you email (cc the principal)....and leave a thank you Starbucks card. You might need help next year...

We could get offical transcripts from the school registrar, so you might call and ask if that is who you contact. A lot of parents didn't know that, and spent a lot of time waiting for the GC's when the registrars office had no waiting.
Can't take another day off of work just to meet with GC. Too much time out lately for other things.

Principal couldn't care less. My next step would be head of Guidance. Who usually doesn't care either.

Every time we have a parent/teacher night I stop in and see her GC and spend about an hour or so with her. No one ever comes to see her on those nights so we have plenty of time together. Last time she commented that she enjoys my visits and was waiting for me. (BTW, she was serious not sarcastic about it). Was going to send a big bouquet of flowers next year after all is said and done. Didn't want it to look like I bought her nomination for Girls State or expect her to do for us more than she would others. I hate gifts that feel like "you will continue to help me" versus "thanks for what you've done".

And we don't have a registrar.

I know she's stressed at the moment and I hate to add to it but this is important. I left he a voicemail and hope to hear back from her tomorrow. I need to step back and have faith that she'll come through. If not I'll call at the end of the week. They are there until at least the end of June.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #222
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

I get the gift thing...D's GC loved Girl Scout mints, so we would drop those off during the appropriate season (candy in the Fall, Thin Mint cookies in the Spring). We would fit in visits when we could--usually report card night when no one was around. She came through big when we needed her.

If the GCs are around for a few weeks after school is out, I'd wait a while. This week might be REALLY busy.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #223
Gina

I hate gc's... as much as I love my son's school district, this is where they have dropped the ball. They're just useless, every last one of them. I have been trying for a week and a half to get my son's ending rank, because we need that for scholarship apps and his college app in August, and can't even get anyone to call me back. I HATE having to depend on other people, especially for one tiny piece of information that should dang well be on the report card anyway. UGH.

/rant off

Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #224
PrincessKsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuvsD View Post
I get the gift thing...D's GC loved Girl Scout mints, so we would drop those off during the appropriate season (candy in the Fall, Thin Mint cookies in the Spring). We would fit in visits when we could--usually report card night when no one was around. She came through big when we needed her.

If the GCs are around for a few weeks after school is out, I'd wait a while. This week might be REALLY busy.
I'm very sensitive to the gift giving because a former boss was very much about "buying" your services going forward. It felt dirty. And particularly with the recent nomination for Girls State. Each GC was only allowed to nominate in girl. Maybe it was because I left a lasting impression and we had a semi-relationship (and of course DD has the grades/EC's etc.) but I certainly don't want there to be an sense of impropriety. I will definitely make sure she is thanked for her efforts.

Gina, I have had a lot of frustration with DD's GC over the past three years. At times it took all I had not to go to school screaming like a lunatic. (Class scheduling mix-ups, no time to answer a few simple questions re National Honor Society requirements when DD was a freshman because 'I'm too busy with juniors and seniors to worry about freshman', etc. Can I tell you how many of DD's friends didn't make NHS because they didn't have enough activity/EC points? I think she realized at some point that I wasn't going away and it was better for her to just deal with me.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #225
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Wow, these posts are sad! Our district has many many issues, but my dd's GC is not one of them! She always has time for us, no matter what we need, how old my child is, or what time of year it is. Also, we have class rank and CUM GPA on report cards, and unofficial transcripts, both of which we can print online at any time. After reading all these, I am very glad to see that they make at least that part, easy for us!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: