Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #151
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Just wanted to bump this up, see how everyone's '14-ers are doing... How are y'alls kids handling AP tests so far? Mine's only taking English Lang. & Comp. this time around, and that one's Friday morning. He's just happy that due to standardized testing this week for 9th & maybe 10th graders, he doesn't have to go in until noon. I was very jealous of him still asleep when I left work this morning, lol. But between the AP test, finals coming up, then the ACT on June 8th, I think the little break right now is good.

Now to just manage to keep him focused on this last home stretch of Junior year!! Between the Band Banquet (affectionately known as Band Prom among them) this Friday night, and actual Prom next Saturday, studying for the abovementioned tests is faaaaarr down the priority list in his mind, lol. But that's where we come in, right?

Hope everyone is doing well!

-gina-

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #152
klj27
DIS Veteran

Our college preparations have been put ahold temporarily. It is just not a focus right now. One of my daughter's best friends attempted suicide in school last Monday and is still in critical condition. It has been heartbreaking. She and many other of her friends were scheduled to take the SAT this past Saturday, but they all postponed it. There was no way they could sit in that school and focus. THey are going to try again in June.

"It's all good!"

'95 - Day Trip from Tampa : '97 - Villas at the Disney Institute : '98 - Boardwalk Villa : '00 - Downtown Disney : '02 - Downtown Disney : '03 - Downtown Disney : '05 - Port Orleans Riverside & Coronado Springs : '06 - Port Orleans Riverside, Wilderness Lodge & Vero Beach: '07 - Port Orleans Riverside : '08 - Port Orleans Riverside '10 Comort Inn LBV "11 Band Trip at the Rosen Plaza: '13 - Windsor Hills
klj27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #153
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj27 View Post
Our college preparations have been put ahold temporarily. It is just not a focus right now. One of my daughter's best friends attempted suicide in school last Monday and is still in critical condition. It has been heartbreaking. She and many other of her friends were scheduled to take the SAT this past Saturday, but they all postponed it. There was no way they could sit in that school and focus. THey are going to try again in June.

Oh my gosh, that is awful... I hope the girl recovers and is able to get some help, and this becomes an inspirational story for others down the road. Good thoughts to her, her family, and all her friends!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #154
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

Thoughts and prayers are with the girls, the families and the friends involved. Such a sad story. Good Luck to all involved.
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #155
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madge View Post
DS has not made one visit, nor has he given much thought to where he really wants to go ... so you're not alone!

honestly, it's going to be a combination of where he likes & what kind of scholarship money he qualifies for, which means he won't be narrowing things down for a while.
I'm glad it's not just me! I feel a need to push her, but I'm trying not to go psycho on her...I've almost completely decided to let it go and let things play out as they will...

In the meantime, spring musical was last weekend and she's studying for her AP Government exam next week. Once that's over, we'll be able to breathe and revisit the idea of campus visits, etc.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #156
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope that the friend recovers soon. I can't imagine how hard this must be on the girl, her family and friends. I don't blame you for putting the SATs etc. on hold temporarily. Sometimes you need to let things go and regroup.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #157
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuvsD View Post
We have a college freshman, so I've been there, done that. She's very happy at USC, with a double major (Philosophy, Politics and Law and English)...
Thank you very much. It does help. I am hoping DD will expand her school list beyond LA. It seems the schools there are all very competative. DD is a good student and talented etc. but I think she needs some safety schools and some interest outside of LA. She has some connections there and she wants to build on them and I get that but it just maybe too hard to go to college there. We shall see. Until finals are over there is little college discussion around here. DD is off on another camping trip for 3 days with middle schoolers then a week of classes and a week of finals. So we will get back to college focus then.

Quote:
Please keep us updated. This is so tragic, I wish your daughter strength during this difficult time and prayers and good thoughts to her friend as she fights for recovery.
JeannieNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #158
Gina

Just wanted to wish all my fellow '14 moms a very happy Mother's Day!!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #159
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Thank you and a Happy Mother's Day to you and all the other moms too!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #160
Gina

DS got his letter jacket for marching band yesterday... It's 85 degrees + here, and he won't take it off, lol. I'm surprised he didn't sleep in it.

It was kind of poignant, though... first he said, "Wow, I really feel like a Senior now!" Then he said, "It's crazy... it feels like yesterday that I was a Freshman, looking at those Seniors in their letter jackets and thinking how cool they were and how much older they seemed than me... and now I'm there."

Old 05-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #161
tyedye
DIS Veteran

I have a DS who will graduate HS next year. I feel overwhelmed with this process. He has not taken the SAT yet only the PSAT, however he is scheduled to take it in a few weeks.

We have been on 2 campus tours, one local university and another one in our state.

I have not read thru all the pages on this thread yet but plan to as I'm looking for any and all info about applying to colleges etc.

klj27-So sorry, hope things are better and the friend is recovering. Thoughts to her and her family and friends.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #162
JeannieNM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
DS got his letter jacket for marching band yesterday... It's 85 degrees + here, and he won't take it off, lol. I'm surprised he didn't sleep in it.

It was kind of poignant, though... first he said, "Wow, I really feel like a Senior now!" Then he said, "It's crazy... it feels like yesterday that I was a Freshman, looking at those Seniors in their letter jackets and thinking how cool they were and how much older they seemed than me... and now I'm there."

Congrats to your son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyedye View Post
I have a DS who will graduate HS next year. I feel overwhelmed with this process. He has not taken the SAT yet only the PSAT, however he is scheduled to take it in a few weeks. Also, wanted to mention that the only two football games my D has been to in person was the Skins verses the Cowboys in Dallas this Thanksgiving, she ended up getting her photo taken with RG3 because by pure chance we were staying at the same hotel as he was. And when we went to the Rose Bowl game Ohio State beat Oregon. I was born and raised in DC so I am a life long skins fan!

We have been on 2 campus tours, one local university and another one in our state.

I have not read thru all the pages on this thread yet but plan to as I'm looking for any and all info about applying to colleges etc.

klj27-So sorry, hope things are better and the friend is recovering. Thoughts to her and her family and friends.
Tyedye- it would be great if you shared your experience on your two tours. Everyone here is in the same boat. We all have spurts of sucess on the college front and then our kids lose interest or get too busy.

How is everyone? How is the end of your school year coming?

D has one more final tomorrow and she is done. Luckily it is the am final (her school has two final slots a day, one at 9 am and one at 1 pm). The way her schedule works out she does not have have one tomorrow afternoon which is nice as she has already had 4. Saturday is graduation and she was just planning to go since she has so many friends graduating but then she found out the NHS is supposed to help and so she is going to help. I may go but have not decided. Several of my friends children are graduating and we were invited to the graduation by multiple people. We plan to go to thier parties but I have been on the fence about the actual graduation, any opinions on this?

What are your kids up to this summer? Anyone visiting colleges? Researching colleges? I am hopefull that my daughter will spend some time online looking at possibilities so that by fall we have a resonable list. We are going to look at one school in a couple of weeks when we are in LA but other then that there has not been any college discussions until after finals except that she did not want to retake the ACT in June but will in the fall.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #163
PrincessNancy96
My family drove me nuts, and then I got stuck in traffic
Washed my hair and wham, several ideas hit me all at once!

DISboards Moderator

Hi! I have a DS graduating in 2014...

He is currently reviewing for his SAT & his ACT tests that are the first 2 weeks in June. (Yes, I'm the mean mom that made him take them back to back!)

We have done 3 campus tours.. One was given by his sister who is a student ambassador at her University. The other 2 were schools he is considering. One of which I would prefer he not go too. He has 2 more campus visits set up for this summer.

He has one ACP class exam next Tuesday. Then regular finals on Thursday. He will graduate with over 21 college credits under his belt next year.

He will be working this summer at his current job and will be narrowing down his college choices I hope.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #164
wookiebeck
Fan of both WDW and USO

Better late than never to this party!

I just found this thread, but figure I am just now taking a break from doing so much college prep for DS17 Junior. My key advice is to get out there. Visit campuses. Alot.

I only applied to one school and luckily made the cut. But I regret that now that I am showing DS around. He is getting a chance to see what the large schools offer (Rutgers New Brunswick). The difference of a smaller campus (The College of New Jersey). Commuter campuses are not for him (Penn State satellites) . And then there is the allure of prestige (Princeton). Seriously, take that tour just for the beautiful museum quality of it.

After 8 campus tours, DS has snapped out of his teenage funk. He is starting to 'get' it. He is finally interested in being a part of the search.

I join this support group / forum for two reasons:

1. Getting in for engineering looks to be super-competitive. I know I would NOT be accepted to anything today. And that is a shame for these kids who are good and need the experience of college to become great.

2. The poor house is not going to be fun at all. That means no more WDW trips for maybe a decade.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #165
cleverclovers
Mouseketeer

Talk to the Financial Aid departments of all the schools that you are interested in. Take a practice FAFSA online to get an estimate of how much you may have to pay. Take the ACT or SAT more than once. Scores tend to climb with experience. Look for GRANTS and scholarships,NOW! Get ready for sticker shock. Books are horribly expensive. Prices for rooms and meal plans are usually available online with each school. If "dad" isn't in the picture, don't include his info in the applications. He's not going to help out financially - so why should they figure his income into the equation? GOOD LUCK!
cleverclovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: