Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Part of the fun for us is staying at different resorts.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
ilovedisneyworld
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at POFQ, PORS (when it was Dixie landing), the poly, and all star music. I was afraid I wouldn't like all star after staying at the poly twice but it was all good your in Disney world after all.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We're hat hangers, once at a resort, we ain't moving....

We cut our teeth at CR back in the late 70's-80's... Then got an invite one CR booked trip to try the GF.... Then our daughter did the CP and worked in EPCOT and we did a lot of stats at the Y&B.....she moved to Fla and worked for the mouse for a year and we tried alot of deluxe resorts thru that year ....

So the bottom line is we've done almost every deluxe ( except BWI).... Ruled out alot of them but keep returning to WL for over 10+ trips.... We're done moving around... Have 2 trips this year, one to POFQ and then a trip to WL...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
The problem I see is the fact that you pick the Polynesian as your first resort. you already started at the top so in my opinion it's going to be hard for others to compare to that with that being said I would still explore other options maybe something comparible to price that you're comfortable with. After having a number of restaurants, nice size beds, elaborate pools with water slides, and ease of transportation to MK , you won't be able to honestly compare a value that has nothing that the above mentions. Although I stayed in values 4 times and eacht time was awesome I had nothing to compare it to. Then we went up to moderates and got a lil more excited. Then we t to Dvc villa and saw the differences. Were DVC owners now so that's the route we will be taking from now on but if we weren't DVC owners than I can honestly say that wed be back at CSR. IMHO it's the best bang for your buck..
Thats what I am afraid of! LOL.
My DH loves luxury on vacation and likes to splurge on family trips. So for two nights we decided poly would be good. I am tempted to try CbR but think I will be disappointed.
If they dont have discounts like we got this year we wont be staying at poly the whole time!!
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
madalex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
We stayed onsite for the first time at the poly two weeks ago and I fell in love....am considering booking there again for longer next year but wondering if I should try another resort? Do people stay at the same resort every year or branch out and try different ones?
We do both. My favorite resort is the Yacht Club, so I generally stay at least part of every trip there. That being said, I am on a quest to try all the Deluxe resorts; the only ones I haven't stayed at yet are the Polynesian and Contemporary. So, I'll stay part of the next trip at one of those and the remainder at YC.
madalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at all of the resorts, so now we only pick our favorites.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
madalex
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
The problem I see is the fact that you pick the Polynesian as your first resort. you already started at the top so in my opinion it's going to be hard for others to compare to that with that being said I would still explore other options maybe something comparible to price that you're comfortable with. After having a number of restaurants, nice size beds, elaborate pools with water slides, and ease of transportation to MK , you won't be able to honestly compare a value that has nothing that the above mentions.
Of course you can compare the resorts to each other, even if the amenities are different. Pools with water slides don't matter much to people who don't swim and ease of transportation to MK doesn't matter much to people whose favorite park is Epcot or Animal Kingdom. The Poly isn't everyone's favorite resort and the amenities offered there may not be everyone's cup of tea (especially once the cost is factored in). The only way to really know what you like best is to try different places.
madalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #23
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Our first trip we stayed at CBR and it was okay. Then we stayed at POP a couple times. Then we had 5 people one trip so we tried POFQ and it was nice. Then POP a couple more times then had 5 again so we tried CR and I loved that one, lol. Since then we have done only POP as that seems to be our all time favorite. Short stay at ASMU once but didn't care for it.

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
akayek31
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at Pop every time we have been. In Feb I wanted to stay at AoA but was out voted by my kids and also no discounts available in the Little Mermaid rooms. Next year (hopefully in the fall), I am staying at AoA and want to stay a couple of days at the BC.

1985-Day trip, 7/08-offsite, 5/09 Pop Century, 2/11-Pop Century,9/11-Pop Century, 2/12-Pop Century, 10/12-Pop Century, 2/13-Pop Century, 2/14-Pop Century, 10/14-Pop Century

akayek31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Yup..We stayed many places, but once we stayed at BC /BCV, we pretty much stay there every visit
Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Our first trip we stayed at CBR and LOVED it. Stayed there again the next year. Third year I wanted to stay there again, but hubby wanted to try WL - said it was a dream of his since he was a kid. So I booked it (in my head it was begrudgingly LOL)

Not sure what my deal was, because WL is amazing!! Currently we are booked there for later this year. I would stay at CBR again - and I do want to try some other resorts, but like others have said, it's hard not to go back to somewhere you loved, and what if you don't like the new place as much?

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #27
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

We use to try different resorts but once we stayed at Poly in 2010, that is where we have stayed every year since.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
LeahA
DIS Veteran

We love Animal Kingdom Lodge and have stayed there the most. However our last trip we stayed offsite and our next trip we more than likely will stay onsite at a different resort. We had a DVC at AKV and we had to sell, so now it's renting points for DVC or picking a less expensive resort, OOP is way too high!
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #29
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I do both

We prefer the Polynesian and have stayed there many times but we may stay other places depending on what discounts are out and who we go with. For instance, last summer we had to stay at a moderate resort due to some of our group's financial situation. Then our small family switched after the larger family left WDW and we went to BWI in 1 bdr because it was the same price as the Poly and we wanted the space of the 2 rooms.

I also have been very lucky to attend conferences in Orlando so I use those opportunities to try out new resorts to see if we would like them as a family.

But if we only stayed at the Poly for the rest of our Disney vacations, we would be very happy.

While you may have a great time at another resort, more often I have had the experience that I did not like the resort as much as my favorite and then the entire time I am wishing I was at the other resort. But I am risk averse and like knowing what's ahead so it is very stressful for me to have the unknown. Where others find the unknown to add to their enjoyment and excitement. So figure out where you and your family are in that spectrum!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
nicki.momof3
Addicted to Disney Vacations

We always stay at POR for a couple reasons

1. It is the only moderate resort that holds a family of 5
2. We are not value resort people so that would not work for us.
3. Deluxes look amazing and one day when I have more $$$ I will stay in one. But for now the family of 5 ones are out of our proce range.
4. We love POR. The grounds are amazing, 6 pools, boat service to DTD. It is lovely.
nicki.momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: