Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

My family will be arriving in Orlando on Saturday, 6 December for 6 nights. We're staying at Universal with some plans to visit Give Kids the World to see my son's star from his MAW trip two years ago, and to visit downtown Disney. DS14 also wants to go to the Titanic Museum. We are thinking Thursday will be our best day of the week to leave Universal and get our extras done dde0d We have a party to be at with Give Kids the World in the evening.

On our day out, We agree we want to visit ALL the Disney resorts, experiencing the Christmas decorations and gingerbread houses. I have about four hours budgeted for touring and I'm wondering what hotels we should hit first and ideas around what special things we should look for at each hotel. We want to tour around from resort to resort and try different snacks at each place. Is there a plan out there already in place as to what hotel you should visit first and what you should see, vs one you should visit second and what to eat where... or ideas of how to travel around : tram to these. by boat to these, walkable to these. any help would be most welcome'. I hope my rambling makes sense!!!

Visiting the darkside yearly since 2004
Staying Club RPR or HRH

Last edited by Threeboysandachickie; 11-19-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Threeboysandachickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

I would start at the Wilderness Lodge, then take the ferry boat to CR and see what they have, then monorail to the GF, (with the construction at Poly I can't imagine anything elaborate in the lobby).

Then I would monorail over to the TTC and take the Epcot monorail and get down to the Epcot resorts and check out BWI and BC/YC.

I honestly don't know what the CR does as I've never seen it for Christmas, but the others are beautifully decorated.

I do realize that somewhere along the way I seem to have left your car somewhere. So, maybe start at Epcot as all three resorts are close together and then, if you have time, take the monorail over to the TTC and at least check on the GF.

Tom
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
staceyrhood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
I would start at the Wilderness Lodge, then take the ferry boat to CR and see what they have, then monorail to the GF, (with the construction at Poly I can't imagine anything elaborate in the lobby). Then I would monorail over to the TTC and take the Epcot monorail and get down to the Epcot resorts and check out BWI and BC/YC. I honestly don't know what the CR does as I've never seen it for Christmas, but the others are beautifully decorated. I do realize that somewhere along the way I seem to have left your car somewhere. So, maybe start at Epcot as all three resorts are close together and then, if you have time, take the monorail over to the TTC and at least check on the GF. Tom
Unfortunately there is one problem...you would have to have a park ticket to get from the monorail at Epcot to the Epcot resorts
You could park at the grand Floridian, take the monorail to the Cr and Poly, a boat to Wilderness lodge then a boat to FW...they have some wonderful decorations close by the boat docks. The boat back to the CR and take the monorail back to the GF. You would have to drive to the boardwalk area to see the beach club and Boardwalk which are also beautiful to see,
Fort Wilderness:
July 13' (loop 800), Aug.13' (loop 800), Oct.13' (loop 800), Nov.13' (loop 800), Dec.13' (loop 800), Feb. 14' (loop 900), Feb. 14' (loop 800), April 14' (loop 900), August 14' (loop 800)
Disney Vero Beach July 14'
DCL: Wonder 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010
Magic 2005 / Dream 2011, 2012
staceyrhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

Thank you for the directional ideas.!! 🚣. 🚈. 🚗

What about sights to see and treats to try at each resort? 🍹 🍡. 🎅. 📷

Staying Club RPR or HRH
Old 11-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
mickeysimba
Earning My Ears

Tell us what you see, as I will be doing the same thing the next weekend. Enjoy!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
fauntleroy53
If It Weren't For My Mood Swings I Wouldn't Get Any Exercise At All

After you've seen the WL and the monorail resorts, hop a bus at the MK to DHS. Outside of the entrance, there's a boat that goes to the Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Epcot. Back at the Boardwalk, Beach & Yacht Club, you could hop a bus to Downtown Disney, where there are already decorations up and some perfect places to take pictures. From there, you can get a bus back to whatever resort you left your car.
fauntleroy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! I think we will do this on Christmas Eve morning. We're meeting up with my cousin who is a CM and they're blacked out of the parks that week, so resort touring is my new plan!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauntleroy53 View Post
After you've seen the WL and the monorail resorts, hop a bus at the MK to DHS. Outside of the entrance, there's a boat that goes to the Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Epcot. Back at the Boardwalk, Beach & Yacht Club, you could hop a bus to Downtown Disney, where there are already decorations up and some perfect places to take pictures. From there, you can get a bus back to whatever resort you left your car.
Unless the OP specifically wants to ride the boat, it would be much faster to take the bus from MK directly to the Boardwalk or any of the other EPCOT resorts.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyrhood View Post
Unfortunately there is one problem...you would have to have a park ticket to get from the monorail at Epcot to the Epcot resorts
You could park at the grand Floridian, take the monorail to the Cr and Poly, a boat to Wilderness lodge then a boat to FW...they have some wonderful decorations close by the boat docks. The boat back to the CR and take the monorail back to the GF. You would have to drive to the boardwalk area to see the beach club and Boardwalk which are also beautiful to see,
Excellent point -- I totally missed the point that they aren't buying tickets!Thanks for the correction!

Tom
Old 11-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
Unless the OP specifically wants to ride the boat, it would be much faster to take the bus from MK directly to the Boardwalk or any of the other EPCOT resorts.
Thanks for adding this tip! it will depend on the temps the day we decide to do the tour!

Staying Club RPR or HRH
Old 11-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

Are the gingerbread houses featured in all the resorts?

Also, are there any special treats we should make sure to try? I know I want beignets and a dole whip, but can anyone make any other recommendations for snacking around our tour???

Thanks

Staying Club RPR or HRH
Old 11-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeboysandachickie View Post
Are the gingerbread houses featured in all the resorts? Also, are there any special treats we should make sure to try? I know I want beignets and a dole whip, but can anyone make any other recommendations for snacking around our tour??? Thanks
The contemporary, boardwalk, and grand Floridian usually have the gingerbread displays. The contemporary is frozen themed this year.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
TeenaS
DIS Veteran

The gingerbread displays are at the Beach Club, the Boardwalk, the Contemporary and the Grand Floridian. All the resorts have their own gingerbread recipes that they use and they are very very different. I don't like the gingerbread at the Grand Floridian and love the gingerbread at the Beach Club but plenty of people like the complete opposite. One is a honey based gingerbread and the other molasses based. It is lots of fun to buy a gingerbread "cookie" from each resort and taste the differences.

At the Beach Club, they have a gingerbread carousel with chocolate carousel horses. It is absolutely amazing and different year after year. They also sell many gingerbread and other holiday foods but my favorite is the gingerbread house kit. We purchase it every year, put it together as a family, wrap it up with saran wrap and on Christmas Day, we break it apart and eat it.

Other resorts that are amazing to see during the holidays in my opinion are Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge.
TeenaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Park at the TTC. Take the monorail to the GF, then to the CR. take their boat over to WL. Boat back to MK. Hop the bus to BW...or YC/BC, S/D, whichever comes first. Check out those resorts. Then, either take the boat (or walk) to DHS. Hop on the bus to AKL from there. Or, take the AK bus from BW and transfer to the AKL bus at AK. Bus back to MK, and monorail or boat back to the TTC.
Those are my favorite resorts during the holidays. You could drive to each resort if you wanted.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Park at the TTC. Take the monorail to the GF, then to the CR. take their boat over to WL. Boat back to MK. Hop the bus to BW...or YC/BC, S/D, whichever comes first. Check out those resorts. Then, either take the boat (or walk) to DHS. Hop on the bus to AKL from there. Or, take the AK bus from BW and transfer to the AKL bus at AK. Bus back to MK, and monorail or boat back to the TTC.
Those are my favorite resorts during the holidays. You could drive to each resort if you wanted.
Dang, You have it down to a science!!! I imagine that it is an easy night's sleep after all that too.

Tom

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: