Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Anne_Aus
Mouseketeer

Yellowstone winter 2013/14

I am after any advice/help with putting together a trip to Yellowstone in winter at the end of this year.
I don't have a choice of going in another season being from Australia and December/January being my vacation period.

I have looked into some snowmobiling tours which run over a couple of days but given it is something I haven't done before I am a little apprehensive.

So experts, people who have been before please help!!
Anne_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
mgrace79
Mouseketeer

I would find out what parts of the park are open in the the winter months, I believe certain areas are closed. When we went 6 yrs ago it was in the spring, sorry cant be more help. Loved the mammoth area hope you can see it very pretty!
mgrace79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrace79 View Post
I would find out what parts of the park are open in the the winter months, I believe certain areas are closed. When we went 6 yrs ago it was in the spring, sorry cant be more help. Loved the mammoth area hope you can see it very pretty!
I believe the road from Gardiner to Mammoth Hot Springs is plowed. The NE entrance might also be open. Old Faithful is open, but the only practical way other than cross country skis to get there is to take a snowcoach or be part of the daily snowmobile train.

I hear Old Faithful is spectacular in the snow, but you'll need skis or snowshoes to get around.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Anne_Aus
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the help, I have done some research, it seems the easiest way is to fly into Bozeman and head to west yellowstone entrance.

Mammoth is open so will endeavor to head up that way also. I ended up buying a book which is all about traveling to Yellowstone in the winter has been extremely helpful and made some things much clearer.
Anne_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne_Aus View Post
Thanks for the help, I have done some research, it seems the easiest way is to fly into Bozeman and head to west yellowstone entrance.

Mammoth is open so will endeavor to head up that way also. I ended up buying a book which is all about traveling to Yellowstone in the winter has been extremely helpful and made some things much clearer.
I didn't know much about the West Yellowstone snow coaches. I thought that they only came from Mammoth.

It's spectacular in winter seeing all that heat surrounded by all that snow. One of these days I want to take my family there.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: